Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-09-08, 03:43 PM   #1
jraap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default battery on charger all winter?

do you guys leave your on board charger plugged in all winter?
jraap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 04:04 PM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I remove all my batteries from the boat, bring them indoors and once a month or so I hook them up to a charger. This has worked well and my batteries have lasted longer than just putting them on a shelf all winter
Old 10-09-08, 10:47 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

good advice jason, i'll do that this winter. maybe that is the reason mine lose power after winter. great thought. thanks!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 09:41 AM   #4
chubs

Wouldnt want them batteries to freeze in alabama!
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 11:21 AM   #5
jraap

what my main question was, if you guys have boats with on board chargers, and they store them where electricity available...do you leave your batteries plugged in all winter?
jraap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 11:23 AM   #6
lowrider

i leave mine plugged in ALL the time. my charger (Dual Pro) has a built in temp compensator that adjust charging accordingly. original set of batteries on my boat lasted for 5 years.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 12:34 PM   #7
jasonfish320

I'm sure that you won't have any problems, especially with the newer chargers. On the flipside...there's been a fair number of fires started from battery chargers being left plugged in for weeks at a time...just be sure that you leave a few compartments open so the systems can breath and don't leave your trolling motor plugged in or any electronics left on...I always left my trolling motor plugged in, until one day I went out to get my rig and the plug had completely melted
Old 10-10-08, 05:21 PM   #8
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I kept my onboard charger plugged in during the winter months, and never had a problem.

FYI- don't forget to check serviceable battery fluid levels, don't overfill, fill with distilled water.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 05:34 PM   #9
chubs

I was told that a battery looses 1/2% per day of there charge while being stored. I plug my boat in every 30 days to recharge them to full while the ice is on the lakes(5 months).I havent had a set of batteries make it more than 3 years if I keep them inside or out.
Old 10-10-08, 05:39 PM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I kept my onboard charger plugged in during the winter months, and never had a problem.

FYI- don't forget to check serviceable battery fluid levels, don't overfill, fill with distilled water.

i removed my onboard charger.. i use two trickle chargers... fluid levels are hard to check in a gel cell...lol...

zooker
Old 10-10-08, 11:24 PM   #11
bamabassman

lmao...hey chubs.....here in NORTH bama it does freeze some. maybe not like up there, but it does freeze. i ain't mad. i understand the joke. if i were up there i would laugh too,lol. and zooker, when it does get truly cold (for here jan, feb) should i take out my boat charger? they ain't jell batteries. just ol wally world batteries. hope to get some jells fer xmas.
Old 10-11-08, 09:38 AM   #12
chubs

Do you actually get ice on the lakes,I know in Va. We had ice on the smalll lakes for a few weeks.I had a concerned couple call 911 and told the cops that someone had fallen thru the ice when the cops arrived they ask me to come over and asked what I was doing.My reply was fishing for specks!
Old 10-11-08, 10:57 AM   #13
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
. and zooker, when it does get truly cold (for here jan, feb) should i take out my boat charger? they ain't jell batteries. just ol wally world batteries. hope to get some jells fer xmas.
matters lil to me when your charge your batterys bama.. jells are sweet but high.. i run optimas and love them..agm jells from cabelas are the same size/weight as your currant ones though cheaper than optimas. ther are just as good...they are still not $60 neverstarts from wally world..

yeah jan/feb that is when i wear 2 sweats shirts and a jacket when i race across the lake...

zooker
Old 10-12-08, 06:42 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

PLEASE PLEASE EVERYONE take notice. Charging all winter is fine as long as your chargers are the type that has the temp compensator like Lowriders and they have the built in maintence of shutting down when fully charged BUT please disconnect all the wires other than the chargers when doing so. Leaving batts hooked up over extended periods of time is nothing but a recipe for electrolisys to set up (that ugly green stuff that colects on posts and wires). Even though you clean your posts the green stuff when it gets a foot hold will develop everywhere including the inside of say power packs and stators and everywhere moisture and elctricity flows through. Then when you least expect it the motor wont crank or th troller wont run or the graph wont turn on................GET THE PICTURE
Old 10-12-08, 11:30 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Yep, but I have the automatic chargers that maintain, and it doesn't get cold enough to freeze them in South Texas.

Great advice, Laser, as usual.
Old 10-22-08, 09:15 AM   #16
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
lmao...hey chubs.....here in NORTH bama it does freeze some. maybe not like up there, but it does freeze. i ain't mad. i understand the joke. if i were up there i would laugh too,lol. and zooker, when it does get truly cold (for here jan, feb) should i take out my boat charger? they ain't jell batteries. just ol wally world batteries. hope to get some jells fer xmas.

John, just don't put them in the deep freezer out in the garage, that's reserved for the deer after you get it back from the processor!
Old 10-22-08, 06:29 PM   #17
bamabassman

hahahaha thanks bob. hope to fill da freezer with FISH fore then. i might not bag that big ol buck dis year.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.