Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-07-12, 11:47 AM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Looking at a new 150 Merc

Talked to my Tracker dealer here,and they gave me these prices for a New Merc 150 Optimax and a 4 stroke. I'm sure I talk them down, but I'm wondering what you guys think? (most part of why I looking at new motors are for the better gas milage, my 03 Merc 150 XR6 LOVES the gas. Anyone know what might be the differents?) BTW, I have a 02 Tracker Avalanche, it's 18.2' w/96" beam.
Merc 150 Optimax 11,365.
Merc 150 4-stroke 11,800.

Which way would you folks go (if) it were you and why. Please no fussing, WE all have our own reasons for what we like, and it's up to me to decide which way I go. BTW, my heart is not set on a Merc either. Just starting to look at other options, but no prices nor info yet on anything else.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Harold
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 03:16 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Harold, your XR6 loves the gas because it's carbureted. However, at WOT it should still compare pretty well against an injected motor, if it's tuned right.

At part throttle, the Optimax will take the XR6's lunch money. My Opti gets great gas mileage, but it's just a 115...I'm sure the Opti 115 would still be somewhat of a heavy drinker...hp is hp.

Unless you're a Mercury hater, either the Optimax or the 4-stroke will be great. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages:

Optimax-
Louder (could be great if that's what you like).
Better hole shot (not a big deal unless you like to haul skiers or pretend 2 seconds makes a difference in a tourney)
No oil to change, but you'll probably use $100 worth of 2-stroke oil over a season.

4-Stroke EFI-
Much quieter (depending on your fishing buddies conversational habits, this could be good or bad)
Not as good at hole shot, but a 150 should be just fine for an Avalanche.
Have to change the oil every year (not a big deal, as you'll be winterizing anyway, right?)

I'm totally jealous you're getting a new powerplant.
Old 03-07-12, 09:47 PM   #3
bassfisher

Not that much to tuning is there, spark plugs and sync the carbs, right?

But right now I'm just looking into it Bryce, and after you saying the newer models wouldn't be that much better at WOT, I might not pull the trigger, I was hoping for an improvement in every range, not just WOT. I normally run around 45 to 50mph anyway, not much of a need to run WOT all the time, BUT, it's nice to have more if ya need it, I alway say. lol Like last year the better half and I had to out run a bad storm, we made it back to the marina and into an empty slip moments before it came down in buckets, and I do mean BUCKETS! Heck we got lucky as it was, if we had gone to the other side of the slip we were in, we would had still gotten soaked from the wind blowing in the rain. The one boat I passed, heading to the marina at around 10 at night, I saw him running in the down pour, you had to feel sorry for the guy.

Please share more info if ya got it man, God know I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for the infor man! Have any more info, fire away man!
Old 03-07-12, 10:13 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Think more environmentally friendly,they are misers with gas at low throttle and that is where carb motors cant compete.
If however you just want to treat yourself to a better motor why not a re manufactured with 1 year warr for half that price.
http://www.outboardexchange.com/remanufactured/
also something your more familiar with as carbs etc.not unplug box (computer)toss buy another
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 11:16 PM   #5
skeeter1804

I like the smell of burning 2 stroke oil first thing in the morning so I will run 2 strokes as long as I can. You asked for opinions so I will give you mine. I would buy a new boat before I put a $12,000 motor on a 10 year old boat that may or may not even be valued at that much. Is there a reason you don't want to rework the motor that is on your boat? You can buy a lot of gas for your XR6 for that much money.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 12:00 AM   #6
bassfisher

I don't tune my own motors, the shop does that, all I do is change the plugs, fuel filter, and lower unit oil.

I can't tell what model the 1997-04 is on the 150 Merc they show, can you? (My XR6 is a 03 model year, plus my dealer said they would take mine in as trade) Plus the shipping of that motor would kill me I'd say, plus having it installed,and I'd have to sell mine, or trade it in to them, more shipping cost I'd say, and crating it up, or drive to Conn, gas there and back, motel, and if something did go wrong, then what. (Plus they say "As with all Mercury outboards we build we have removed the oil injection.",) Which I guess means I'd have to mix my own, right?
Thanks lilmule for the thought though, really. I think something new might be the way to go for me. Or maybe even a left over 2011 model or I might get lucky and find a 2010, still new. I have yet to ask them that.

Plus this whole thing is (if) I buy anything. I'm just trying to get all the information I can right now, and then decide on what to do. Once again, thanks for the information man!!

Anyone else have some thoughts on this subject, please inform me.
Old 03-08-12, 12:32 AM   #7
bassfisher

skeeter1804, I just thought the newer year models would run circles around my older 03 in the gas department. (once again I know nothing on any motor and what the plus/minus might be, that's why I'm asking you guys for your input) Plus you all are making me think. (sorry, it doesn't hurt that much, unless you ask my wife) lol

Nothing is wrong with my motor, and I never thought about reworking it, which I don't think it needs. Two years ago the compression was about 147 to 150 I think, across all four cylinders. My dealer said it was in great shape for a 03 model in that departmemt. Plus this will be the last boat I buy. I'm sure it'll out last me,it is a tin boat. No need for a new one (IMO), this one does everything I need it to do. I'm thinking (Not my strong suite) the 03 motor might be hard to find parts for years down the road, if it ever does need anything major done to it. Another reason I'm looking new. Yes the boat now is not worth 8/9 grand at best I'd say. Once again I'm think the long haul here. Plus I'm not getting any younger here, retirement is just 10years away. If I'm lucky, and the man upstairs lets see my see 60-80+.
The wife says I think to much sometimes. lolol

Thanks again guys for your input, I really needing it.
Old 03-08-12, 01:07 AM   #8
nofearengineer

For what it's worth, Harold, the XR6 was/is one of the highest production outboards made. You're not going to have trouble finding parts for it for a looooong time.
Old 03-08-12, 08:29 AM   #9
lilmule

If its that well off ,why get any thing.
As for those outboards 2L is a black max,2.5 include not only xr4 but xr6
And for less than the price of gas can be shipped to a dealer or mechanic near you where they would rig it.Home delivery is what costs out the yin yang.
But with that motor with that much psi,your good to go for a ways-running what oct gas?
Im not a merc fan but the 2.5 is about the best bulletproof design out there or the best merc has or had
240=260=280 racing engines all from that family
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 11:51 AM   #10
bassfisher

Thanks again lilmule for the information man, really. Okay, I guess now I need to decide on what my next step would be. Thanks again to all that have helped me make a decision, I really appreciate the insight!

One more thing lilmule, I use 87octane, should I use something else? This puppie holds 42gals of fuel, and I try to fill it up for my week long trips. Sorry one more question for now, when my gas gauge shows empty (from full) I still have half tank of gas, would a new fuel sensor help to get me a better reading?
Old 03-08-12, 12:24 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
Thanks again lilmule for the information man, really. Okay, I guess now I need to decide on what my next step would be. Thanks again to all that have helped me make a decision, I really appreciate the insight!

One more thing lilmule, I use 87octane, should I use something else? This puppie holds 42gals of fuel, and I try to fill it up for my week long trips. Sorry one more question for now, when my gas gauge shows empty (from full) I still have half tank of gas, would a new fuel sensor help to get me a better reading?
Harold, I have the same issue with my Avalanche fuel sending unit. To say it is inaccurate would be overly generous. Therein lies one advantage I forgot to mention of an Optimax or 4-stroke EFI over the XR6. They are Smartcraft capable, while the XR6 is not. With my Opti, I can actually watch how much fuel has been used. It's doesn't directly measure how much is left in the tank (though it can do that for more $), but if you know how much you put in the tank, and how much you've taken out, you should be able to figure out the rest (barring any fuel leaks of course).

I will warn you though, it might make you cruise a bit slower when you see the usage. A single 30-minute run down to the dam and back on Dale Hollow a couple years ago cost me $30 in gas. Not a bank-breaker, but shocking nonetheless. I like to run at 35 now instead of 45.
Old 03-08-12, 12:55 PM   #12
bassfisher

LOL, try my 150 man, you talk about sucking the gas!!!! Now ya see why I was asking all my question and hoping a newer model would help in that department. Sorry but I have to laugh again man LOL. One of the reason I've slow down to 45/50.
Old 03-09-12, 11:29 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

I have the same problem with the fuel gauge on my Sprint. I've thought several times that I was just about empty, but when I went to the gas station, I could only put in 20-22 gallons in my 49 gallon tank. So I figure that one day I'll bring a 5 gallon jug along with me and run it till the tank is dry, and I'll know about how long that'll take....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.