Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-05, 12:09 PM   #1
cnfoley
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to cnfoley
Default baitcaster problem

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my baitcaster while reeling in. I can crank 5 or 6 times and it is really smooth, then for 2-3 cranks its really rough, then back to smooth and then rough again. I've never taken one apart and would rather not unless i have to. Has anyone had a problem like this before?
cnfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 12:16 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: baitcaster problem

I haven't-it is usually one way or the other, not smooth then rough then smooth again. You might need to take the side off the reel and see if there is something in there that is causing it to grind. They are not hard to take apart and not too complicated. Take off the handle and the star drag and you will be able to take the side plate off without completely disasembling the rntire reel
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 12:16 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Yup!
You have sand inside the spool.
You need to take the sides off, (follow the manual if you have one) and clean it out,
its either sand of some debre that is sticking your spool on the sides where the baitcaster frame it..it could even be a section of line is stuck in there..
hope that helps
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 12:18 PM   #4
cnfoley
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys I will give it a shot this weekend. I was just a little hesitant to start ripping it apart, but i guess the only way to learn is to do it.
Old 07-01-05, 12:21 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Suggestion: lay out a paper towel, and as you take the parts off line then up so you just have to reverse the order to put it back together, and everything goes back where it is supposed to be.
Old 07-01-05, 12:24 PM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: bait caster problem

REally, once you take the nut off that holds the handle and take the drag and side cover, you'll see the gears , and probably either have some foreign object in the gears , if not slide the spool out , WD40 and wipe clean, then take some light oil and lube the gears up, put a drop in the bearing under the bait-drop adjuster, you'll be good to go
Old 07-01-05, 12:30 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

But DON'T use WD 40 as your lube-just use it to clean the parts as JB suggests.
Old 07-01-05, 12:34 PM   #8
cnfoley
BassFishin.Com Member

Is there any special kind of light oil/lube for reels?
Old 07-01-05, 02:20 PM   #9
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1120230590;start=0#6 date=07/01/05 at 11:30:25]But DON'T use WD 40 as your lube-just use it to clean the parts as JB suggests.[/quote]

Why do you say that Reb? I've always used wd-40 instead of oil and it seems to work better than any oil I've ever used. I've never had a problem using it.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 02:44 PM   #10
tbuck
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tbuck

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1120230590;start=0#4 date=07/01/05 at 11:21:27]Suggestion: Â*lay out a paper towel, and as you take the parts off line then up so you just have to reverse the order to put it back together, and everything goes back where it is supposed to be. Â*[/quote]

Hey Reb,
That's a great idea and now I might have a chance at my big Senator salt water reel next time. I had to take it to the shop because I had parts everywhere and there are many with that reel...

Great Tip!

Screemin' Reels!

Happy Fourth Everyone!

Mike
tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 03:18 PM   #11
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LOCKJAW,

Â* Â* WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a Water Displacement solution, hence the name "WD."If you drop your reel in the water, it is fine to saturate it with WD-40 to displace the moisture, but as soon as you get home you need to take it apart and clean it or blow it out with a can of canned air or low pressure compressor to remove ALL the moisture and WD, then re-lube the bearings.
Â* Â* Personally, I prefer to clean the bearings in my reels with either lighter fluid or non-oily nail polish remover.
Also, I would suggest that you take the sideplate away from the crank side of the reel, and take the spool out from that side. There are far fewer pieces to lose or get back wrong.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 04:28 PM   #12
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I always use the "sewing machine oil" that comes in a small tin can... its clear and light,
Back in the day many anglers sprayed their bait and reel with WD40 , the bait kinda left a rainbow oil slick on the surface, but I learned many moons ago that constant use of WD40 on baitcasters feels good at first, later causes problems. less distance of cast is my #1 gripe. stick to a light oil
If you want to add something to the line, try a product line tangle free 8)
Old 07-01-05, 04:40 PM   #13
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Lockjaw, Jack covered it better than I could.

Chiefton, I like to use Quantum's Hot Sauce, both the oil and the grease, but like JB says sewing machine oil will work, and a light silicone grease will work for the gears.

I use lighter fluid to clean the bearings like Jack does. Â*When you first get a baitcaster if it has bearings on each end of the spool they are packed in grease since a lot of fishermen do not pay that much attention to lubing their reels. Â*The first thing I do is take the bearings out, soak them in lighter fluid, then lube them with Hot Sauce. Â*I immediately get more casting distance.

Glad to help, Mike. Â*Fortunately for me I read that somewhere so that was one lesson I didn't have to learn the hard way ;D
Old 07-01-05, 11:14 PM   #14
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I would say the problem is your ring and pinion gears are dirty.It has nothing to do with the bearings, but as long as your tearing the reel down, oil them all except the roller bearing. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-05, 12:40 AM   #15
j-luttru
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to j-luttru

I'd suggest checking out this site for "how to" videos for reel cleaning and maintenance, a worthwhile investment I'll bet.

http://www.lakeforktacklerepair.com/index.htm
j-luttru is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.