Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 03-15-07, 06:32 PM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Switching treble hooks to single hooks

Hi All,
The water up here in the great white north is starting to thaw out and it's almost lake fishing time, but until then I want to hit some of our rivers. One of the restrictions up here in B.C. is that you can only use a single, barbless hook in our river systems. I know this is a bass site, but the general question: Is it possible to change the hooks on a lure to a single hook without ruining the action of the lure? I have never done this, just fished them out of the box, so to speak, so any input would be appreciated.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 06:42 PM   #2
WallStreetAmigo

I forgot to ask what type/size hooks are the best for this?
Old 03-15-07, 07:23 PM   #3
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

well a treble hook is one hook, just has 3 points.
Old 03-15-07, 07:31 PM   #4
WallStreetAmigo

I guess I should have clarified that they have to be single point hooks, trebles are not permitted in rivers/streams up here.
Old 03-15-07, 07:33 PM   #5
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

ah, um i dunno try to get the thik wire ones so you wont lose too much weight switching out
Old 03-15-07, 07:34 PM   #6
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Some of the rules and regulations can be confusing. I once was fishing a tourney and read up on the lake we were to fish. The lake regs stated that you could only have 2 hooks on a pole. I called the DNR for the lake and asked if that meant I couldn't use a three trebble baits like a jerkbait. He clarified it for me, that it was intended to mean only two lures on a line, such as 2 flukes, or a PNJ and a Drop shot type setup, that the three hooks on one bait was fine. Might wanna call to verufy EXACTLY what they mean. But if in case you can only use a single hook per se, I would opt for a trailer hook, in about the same length as the trebbles you are replacing.

Lizards
Old 03-15-07, 09:51 PM   #7
WallStreetAmigo

lizard, as you indicate in your example, I was confused by this regulation, so I talked to a conservation officer I know who clarified that it has to be a single point, barbless hook in any stream/river in BC. No trebles, nor barbed hooks (which is what I always did anyway in rivers, just to be on the safe side). When you're trying to catch 5 to 15 pound rainbow trout, I can assure you that this makes things quite challenging. Likewise, the LM bass can be very difficult to bring in on a barbless single hook, but I'll tell you, it sure has taught a newbie like me to learn the art of playing a fish properly, no matter what species. I have lost so many bass, trout, etc, but what a fight!
Old 03-15-07, 09:53 PM   #8
ihateforwards

Send a message via AIM to ihateforwards

Well, I guess experience counts, those fights with fish always bring the adrenaline rushing all over your body.
ihateforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 09:54 PM   #9
WallStreetAmigo

Can someone post a picture of a Trailer Hook as mentioned by lizardsrule above? Sometimes the names of hooks, etc are different up here than in the states, and I will probably recognize it to see it. Thanks in advance and thanks to lizardsrule for the tip.
Old 03-15-07, 09:57 PM   #10
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateforwards View Post
Well, I guess experience counts, those fights with fish always bring the adrenaline rushing all over your body.
How true! Even when I lose a fish, I get the rush. And I learn a ton for next time....after I curse at the fish a few times...
Old 03-16-07, 06:18 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Here you go, WSA:

I don't think switching to single, barbless hooks will make a whole lot of difference in lure action-I'd just try to find one about the same size as the treble hook.

OR

You could snip off two of the treble hook tines and crimp the barb down on the remaining one. Then if you want to change back to trebles just switch hooks.
Old 03-16-07, 06:46 PM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post

You could snip off two of the treble hook tines and crimp the barb down on the remaining one. Then if you want to change back to trebles just switch hooks.
this is best as the baits are tuned to run with a treble hook you still have the same weight-more or less- if you do switch to a single straight shank hook alot of baits will not run right..i have done this to a rebel wee -r and it will run 5 FEET to the right reguardless of tunning..

zooker
Old 03-23-07, 12:32 AM   #13
WallStreetAmigo

Thanks guys....I tried snipping off two of the tines and crimping the barb down as suggested by Reb and confirmed by zooker. I noticed no real change in the action of the lure and even managed to fool a couple of decent sized rainbow trout. Oh and thanks for the pic reb.
Old 03-24-07, 09:48 AM   #14
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

We have similar regulations with our river systems in WA State. Try to find some Siwash (open eye are easier to use) hooks to replace trebles. The action will not change as a result of using a single vs. treble hook. This is very common practice, replacing trebles with siwash hooks because of regulations. The open eye version allows you to add the hook without a split ring. All you need to do is crimp the eye down after you add the hook.

I would double check with your state's fish and wildlife on the cutting off of two hooks on a treble just to be clear. The officer who inspects might still "interpret" that hook as a treble still. Better to pay $2.50 for a pack of siwash hooks than a higher priced ticket from an officer who might be having a bad day and thus willing to write tickets.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.