Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-07, 11:05 AM   #1
DEbass'n
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Spinning and Baitcasting rods

this is just something i thought of the other day. Is there any difference between how spinning rods and baitcasting rods are made? What i mean by that is i know baitcasting rods have the finger loop and the guides face up, spinning rod guides face down. Is there any other differences like are the rods made to be bent a certain way, or could you put a baitcasting reel on a spinning rod and vice versa?
Old 03-30-07, 11:17 AM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Good question buddy,

I would think the overall construction is similar if not identical. Baitcasters' may have more of some componets, like graphite, or fiberglass, nano's ... whatever. There maybe some difference's between manufactures, but I'm guessing for the most part, they are pretty much made the same way. We'll hear more on this I'm sure.

BET
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 07:31 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think what your talking about is the blanks. I think the blanks are the same, depending on what length and action is desired in the rod.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 09:46 AM   #4
DEbass'n
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I just got off the phone with Gander Mtn. The guy said that the rods aren't made any differently. The difference is in the rod guides. On a spinning rod their are 5 or 6 guides and they are bigger to allow the spinning reel to unwind(clockwise). On the baitcasting rod there are 9 or 10 guides and they are smaller. This allows for more precise casts and lets the line unwind(straight) slower. If you tried to put a baitcasting reel on a spinning rod, it would allow the line to unwind too fast causing more problems than there already are. So he wouldn't recommend doing it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.