Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-07-07, 01:46 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Air temp vs. Water temp

We get a lot of posts giving the weather forcast-usually cold-asking what to use. While that is good info for knowing what to wear, it really doesn't help with recommendations. Why? Because air temp and water temp, while related, can be vastly different due to the fact that water warms up/cools down much slower than air.

Case in point: I talked to Zooker this morning and he said the air temp was 28 but the water temp was 56. Even with the cold air temps I'd be throwing a spinnerbait, crankbait, C-rig or T-rig because the water is so warm compared to the air. But if I didn't know the water temp I would figure the water was a lot colder than it actually is and might not be as successful as I could be based on that assumption. I think that is a trap a lot of us fall into.

This time of year especially one of the most important pieces of equipment you can have is a thermometer. No need to get fancy-a cheap aquarium thermometer from WalMart will do the job quite well. Tie it on a line and drop it in the water when you get there. When you know the water temp you can choose your baits/tactics accordingly. Just something else to help take some of the guesswork out of it.
Old 04-07-07, 02:14 PM   #2
JB

What would you prefer, a cold front with dark skies or clear blue? Of course we all hate those bluebird skies, yet every time we have a tournament on those bluebird/coldfront conditions, one of the local flipping experts comes in with 2 toads and beats all us schmucks that were
just happy to be in the weigh in line with our one 13 incher rofl.
Reb, I know what ya mean, a mindset that conditions all of our angling knowledge, as well as any knowledge in general while growing up. Memory is essential for survival. The brain stores all kinds of memories, like the way to ride a bike, what happened yesterday and even the meaning of the word 'memory'. But memories are fragile and when the brain is damaged by an accident or an illness, or extremely long talks with zooker,memories can disappear along with the ability to remember. Could you survive without your memory?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 02:28 PM   #3
Recon8541
BassFishin.Com Active Member

yesterday?.....huh.....My damn memory is so bad....tonight I could hide my own easter eggs, and tomorrow not find half of em!

I would rather overcast in any conditions....I hate bluebirds!
Old 04-07-07, 03:18 PM   #4
zooker

ahh i do love a challenge blue bird skys, no wind.

i don't take to you any more than some.. of course them folks i am on the phone to from the land of fruits and nuts tend to talk a LOT..

zooker
Old 04-07-07, 05:58 PM   #5
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

i like overcasts more cause they hold tighter to cover, and i cant get to alot of the lake and it makes it just that much easier for me
Old 04-07-07, 08:46 PM   #6
lizardsrule

I don't decide what the weather is, mother nature does, and she keeps all those stinking rich weatherman all wrong 50% of the time. If it's sunny, then I look for heavy cover, if it's overcast the fish will wander more, so search baits "CAN" work better. I rarely see folks going into the heavy cover. Some say they do, but really don't, they fish the edges, or pockets. They act like I'm gonna lose my hook and weight if I throw in to that rotfl. You have to change to the conditions, I mean who besides Recon, and JackL, who are retired, can decide everyday if they wanna go fishing or not? We all fish when we can, and that's usually dependent on work for most of us. The bass love the heavy stuff especially with bluebird skies, if you don't believe it, then all the better for me. I do believe water temps make a difference, but air temps don't affect the bass to much, unless it decreases the water temps rapidly. River bass are even less affected by changes in the temps IMO. I agree with your basic statement, and I agree the colder the water, usually the less the bass feed. But bass gotta eat sometime, so go fishing and fish the conditions, and dress for them also.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 04-08-07 at 07:55 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 01:33 PM   #7
keithdog

JB, you crack me up. You long winded Zooker??? LOL It's real strange, I can't remember the name of the movie I went to see last night, but I can tell you about a fish I caught 11 years ago, the lure, wind direction, weather conditions, all that stuff. Sure as hell wish I could channel that into something more important!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 02:09 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
JB, you crack me up. You long winded Zooker??? LOL It's real strange, I can't remember the name of the movie I went to see last night, but I can tell you about a fish I caught 11 years ago, the lure, wind direction, weather conditions, all that stuff. Sure as hell wish I could channel that into something more important!!!
in my job i am required to KNOW board footage,production amounts per timber,how to wreak a forklift,and speak spanish..bass fishing is just another logistis thing i can keep track of.. over anlizing bass fishing is defeating the purpose it is just best to grip it and rip it..

zooker
Old 04-08-07, 02:37 PM   #9
JB

I did keep logs for about 5 years, but after awhile things tend to repeat themselves, and if it hasn't sunk in by then, ya need help!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 11:57 AM   #10
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I lvoe bluebird skies, no wind, and HOT.. I always get my best fish on day like this.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:03 PM   #11
BASSITUP
BassFishin.Com Member

I Just Love To Go Fishing
BASSITUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 10:57 PM   #12
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILfishinman View Post
i like overcasts more cause they hold tighter to cover, and i cant get to alot of the lake and it makes it just that much easier for me
My experience has been quite the opposite. The fish I catch during overcast skies seem to roam alot more, add wind to the occasion and it's definately a roaming situation.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.