Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-04-08, 11:03 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default When weedless becomes fishless....

I've been Texas rigging Gulp baits on a 2/0 Gamamatzu worm hook. I've caught some, lost some in weeds, but the strike to hookset ratio isn't very good. Now I well know you can't hook every fish that bites (wish ya could!), but I think I'm missin more than I should... Often I've got some real interest on the other end, I wait, take up the slack and bam, attempt to set the hook - too often only to reel in to find the bait all balled up on the hook with little point showing. I suspect that the bait may be 'protecting' the fish from the hook point (weedless/fishless) so I'm just pullin the bait right outta it's mouth.
I've tried putting the hook point thru the bait, then backing if off such that it's just protruding as well as only inserting just the point up to the barb (but not go thru the bait) - results seem about the same.

> I'm thinking 5-7" the baits a bit fat up top and maybe should be cut to get the hook closer to the tail end.
> I'm thinking of trying a split shot on the hook shank up where the hook first comes thru the bait, to prevent the bait from shucking down the hook.

Any other ideas on how to better ensure hookset ratios with a texas rigged worm?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 11:40 AM   #2
Fishnngolfn

I have had that same issue at times. I was fishing a 6 inch lizard and getting many bites but no hook sets. What I have found in most cases, is the bait is too big for the size of fish that is showing interest in your lure. Or that the fish is hitting the back half of the bait and not getting the hook. Either way I switched to a smaller 4 inch lizard, got the same bite but this time a hook set. I like to use a 3/0 exg gammy hook on my 4" plastics. I also make sure that the bend of the hook slides easily down to expose more of the hook during the set. Just make sure you bury the tip of the hook back into the plastic to keep the hook from exposing itself prematurely while dragging through the weeds. Hope this helps.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 12:36 PM   #3
Jim80

I would try a larger hook between 3/0 and 5/0 , and if that doesn't help tex-pose the hook , ie bring the point all the way through the bait and just put the tip of it back into the bait maybe an 1/8 of a inch that way most of your hook is already exposed and when the fish bites the tip of the hook pops out of the plastic and makes the hook up a bit easier . That method has helped me alot . You can also tex-pose into the side of the bait .

Jim

I'll add a link for tex-posing later The computer at work won't let me .
Old 09-04-08, 12:49 PM   #4
cassidyta

Here is what I have done in that situation. Go out and pick up some category 3 or category 5 wire from a local hardware store. CAT 3 is telephone wire and CAT 5 is network cable. Once you strip the outer cable, you will find small multi-colored wires inside. You can cut these to length. I then rig my hook with an exposed hook and use the wire that closest match my bait color. I push the wire into the tip of the hook and then thread it back through the worm and up to the hook eye.

I know this sounds complicated, but it makes for a cheap weedless hook that is exposed for a higher hook up ratio. The wire is small enough to not impact your finesse fishing and it assists in hoding your worm on the hook.

A second item that works well to keep your bait in place is to go and get some orthodontic rubberbands. The type that are worn with braces. You can wrap these on the hook shaft just beneath the head of the bait. Depending on hook size, you may have to wrap it 3 or 4 times. This works great and is much cheaper than the owner hooks that come with the rubber stopper.
Old 09-04-08, 12:54 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A couple of ideas come to mind, most important on the initial feel of the peck, reel down and get any slack out of the line before setting the hook.
Also watch your line like a hawk, once you feel the peck check for any line movement, as you get better feel for it you'll be setting the hook with more confidence..
Sometimes panfish will peck at a worm or carry it, you set the hook and the worm is all balled up as described.
You can also super glue the worm to the hook to hold in place, or do as we did years ago, take the worm over the eyelet and put a toothpick through the worm and eyelet of the hook to keep it in place.
I'm betting smaller fish are "faking you out" with the peck..
Normally I wouldnt watch the line after the first peck, but under these conditons I'd take the slack out of the line once you feel it, raise the rod tip up just a tad and watch for your line movement. Then set the hook.
Once you get into jig fishing sometimes you will feel the peck and nothing there, then the fish comes back and takes it...just keep you eyes on your line and you'll get the hang of it!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 01:31 PM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

I find with the GULP product. That you need to push the hook alway through. Then just so slightky back it back in. Give it a try that should solve your problems.
Old 09-04-08, 01:59 PM   #7
Bender

Several of us have had the same problem on a certain lake here with shaky heads. The smallies only seem to want to bite shaky head worms, but 75% of the time they are just getting the tail. It is really frustrating because you get 3 or 4 cranks of the handle into them and they are gone. I've tried shorter worms, exposed hook, etc. I think it is just the nature of having tackle sensitive enough and paying enough attention to detect these light bites and nibbles as opposed to a fish really nailing it. And the ones I have hooked in this situation have been mostly very small bass.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 04:00 PM   #8
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
I would try a larger hook between 3/0 and 5/0 , and if that doesn't help tex-pose the hook , ie bring the point all the way through the bait and just put the tip of it back into the bait maybe an 1/8 of a inch that way most of your hook is already exposed and when the fish bites the tip of the hook pops out of the plastic and makes the hook up a bit easier . That method has helped me alot . You can also tex-pose into the side of the bait .

Jim

I'll add a link for tex-posing later The computer at work won't let me .
Hey thanks - I found some Yamamoto Youtube video's on Texpose and can see how it could be much better than standard Texas rig. I'll give it a try.
Old 09-04-08, 04:12 PM   #9
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Hey thanks - I found some Yamamoto Youtube video's on Texpose and can see how it could be much better than standard Texas rig. I'll give it a try.
Hope it works out for ya man .
Old 09-04-08, 04:24 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Sorry but my terminology is off. After watching a Yamamoto video on youtube, I realized that I texpose and then skin hook all my plastic baits. This setup has worked wonderfully for me and I do not miss many hooksets unless the fish only had half the bait and none of the hook. I use this setup in heavy weeds or "open" water.
Old 09-04-08, 04:30 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I skin hook all my plastic baits. As for hook size, you may want to get a bigger hook. For small finesse baits like trick worms, I use a 2/0 or 3/0. For 6-7.5" worms, 3/0-5/0 depending on the thickness of the worm.

BB
Old 09-04-08, 05:37 PM   #12
CMorg

I just set the hook so hard the boat moves , and my fishing partner laughs. If the fish weigh less than 1 pound they fly. Thats only with jigs though. Is the hook a light wire hook ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 05:41 PM   #13
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I just set the hook so hard the boat moves , and my fishing partner laughs. If the fish weigh less than 1 pound they fly. Thats only with jigs though. Is the hook a light wire hook ?
It's funny that you said that because I "hooked" a half pounder the other day and tried to set the hook really hard. The hook went over my head and the fish went flying almost all the way to the bank. He must have gone about 15 to 20 feet.
Old 09-04-08, 08:08 PM   #14
Abbeysdad

LOL - When I started watchin the bass fishin shows I was a bit surprized about how they horsed the fish right in with nearly no play....sounds like you guys are working out the 'air retrieve'.!!!! (Ain't no reelin, just duckin er catchin!) LOL

I'll confess that once or twice I had a line out that I'd slowly worked back a twitch/reel at a time and lost track of how far out it was. I'd suddenly get some bites (no doubt some little buggers just toying with my emotions) and I go to set the hook like it was Moby Dick only to have the bait come at me like a rocket - fortunately it tends to go over the right shoulder...although one time Abbey's eyes got real big! hehe

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 09-05-08 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-04-08, 11:27 PM   #15
Abbeysdad

Thanks guys for all the tips - I have several things to try.
Old 09-05-08, 03:00 PM   #16
Wishing2BFishing

I have had this problem as well, Bigger hooks were not an option since I already use some relatively large hooks (3/0 for smallies and 4/0 for LM). Switching baits didn't seem to work well either.

This year I purchased my first expensive rod. A very sensitive Kistler Magnesium that has the open handle. Revisiting similar weather, water, and conditions, I caught several fish and lost very few. I think the difference was the rod. I truly believe the extra sensitivity helped me get my hookset before it was too late.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 03:46 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Abbysdad, When I first started watching fishing shows, I noticed the same thing. I though, what fun is that. While it may not be as much fun to hhorse the fish in than to play around and fight with it, it is much better for the fish. This is more of a deal with big fish, and especially saltwater fish like sailfish. The longer the fish fights, the more lactic acids build up in their gills. If enough of the lactic acids build up, they will die. So I know 'skiing" the bass on the top of the water (in my case with the little guys I catch) isn't as much fun, but it is better for the fish.

As for boat rocking hook-sets, I normally don't. Also you much consider the wire diameter of you hook. I like gamakatsu (not the superline EWG's) hooks best because they are thinner wire hooks than other, such at Owner. Although owner would have ot be my second choice, even though they are very thick wire. The way they hook point is cut makes it penetrate fairly easily for such a thick hook.

BB
Old 09-07-08, 09:57 PM   #18
CMorg

I just starting doing that with the last jig bass caught in a submerged tree in 19' of water. The bass bit and I set the hook , right behind the 3 pounder was a monster following it in. I unhooked the little guy , threw right back at the same spot , felt the thump , set the hook and reeled in the 6.5er , she was barely hooked in the roof of the mouth , I mean barely. Now I just do it , I dont know why.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 10:48 PM   #19
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

sometimes the bass just dont bite good enough to hookem sometimes a little bit different color/length/weight/presentation will make the fish bite good enough to hookem.

goodluck
ryan
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 10:36 PM   #20
flbassman

Jack that hook size up man! You ain't gonna scare bass away movin up to a 5/0. Keep it weedless, go up in hook size, and drop some lead size to compensate for added hook weight. Just my HO........

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.