Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-04, 09:02 PM   #1
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default The Barometer and Bass

The Barometer and Bass

No single condition has a larger effect on Bass and how they feed and react to thier surroundings as
Barometric Pressure. When the pressure is falling, or low, say, just before a storm moves in, bass fishing
can be at it's absolute best.They are aggressive, feeding, and the strike zone is usually quite large.However, when the pressure begins to climb, with a pressure reading above 31 degrees, and High Pressure sets in, bass fishing can go downhill in a hurry.Bass at this time are notorious for developing lockjaw. They simply do not feed, or feed very little.

The reason for this ,I believe, is that the barometric Pressure affects the Swim Bladder of a bass. The swim bladder affects the basses equilibrium, and controls the balance of the bass, much the same way our inner ear does for us. Where we are more likely to notice sudden and drastic Drops in pressure, say when a tornado passes overhead, The swim bladder of a Bass detects Rises in Barometric pressure in a very negative manner.It causes the equilibrium to be thrown off, and the balance of the bass, as well as control of it's swimming ability to a point the bass will either suspend, and just hang in open water, or it will bury itself deep into cover. This is the most common result, as the bass feels more secure in thick cover.And, surprisingly, it really only takes a point or two in change to negetivly affect a bass in this manner.

Once a High Pressure system has set in, the Single most productive technique you can present to the bass is Flipping.The reason is that a bass Will Not chase a lure under these circumstances.You must get it to the Bass, put it in front of the bass, and leave it there till they take it.I am talking about a very, Very slow presentation.If you know you are on cover that should hold bass, leave the bait there and just shake it. Leave it as long as you can stand it, and then leave it some more. This usually will aggitate a bass into striking your bait.They are not activly feeding but you can still make the bass bite.

Should you have the High, Blue Skies so common with High Pressure days, the best places to fish are on the shady side of a piece of cover.This will help you locate the fish.
Also, use smaller lures.With the bass already in a funky mood, a smaller mouthfull will just naturally be more appealing, since they are not activly feeding.

One thing about High Pressure to remember. Do not go out expecting to catch a limit of fish in an hours time. You will have to earn every strike you get.

Good Fishing,
Charles Graves
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 10:39 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: The Barometer and Bass

that's a very good post BB.
the only problem i have is i don't pay any attention to the barometer.i fish whenever i can.and if i happen to be fishing a tourney,well there's nothing i can do about it.if the fish are aggressive that's good.and if the bite is off i know i have to work harder.after about an hour of fishing,you can pretty much tell if it's gonna be a tough bite.
but i still appreciate the post.good fishing to you also.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 11:59 PM   #3
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Nice post again BB, I agree with it for the most part but with the drastic changes in BP down here you would think we would have some pretty messed up fish. Through my trials and errors I have caught and been skunked on numerous times when either they should or shouldnt be hitting. Ive been out prior to a storm and hit nothing then gone out at the beginning of a high and nailed em all day long. I will admit when we have a massive change( ie: large hurricane approaching-go figure!) the fishing is fast and furious. Any hoo keep up the informative posts, I enjoy reading them and putting them into my mental notebook. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-04, 04:52 AM   #4
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

the thing to remember with mine, or anyones posts, are there are always exceptions to the rule.When it comes to bass fishing, remember one thing. The only thing predictable about it, is that it is unpredictable.Tips and posts such as this are only meant to be used as guidelines.

Charles
Old 10-27-04, 09:03 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassboss link=board=news;num=1098835366;start=0#3 date=10/27/04 at 03:52:58]the thing to remember with mine, or anyones posts, are there are always exceptions to the rule.When it comes to bass fishing, remember one thing. The only thing predictable about it, is that it is unpredictable.Tips and posts such as this are only meant to be used as guidelines.

Charles[/quote]

I was thinking of a response to this post, and this says it better than I could Fishing isn't black and white, there a grey areas all over. But if you learn the patterns, then you will be better qualified to make an EDUCATED GUESS, which usually results in more fish in the boat. However, everything could be the complete opposite of what you think the pattern should be. Here's an example of this year what happened to me. Went fishing in July, the day was hot, and clear skies. I was fishing cover, very heavily, from 3'-10', docks, lily pads, anything that had some shade, plus all the shady banks. We were having little success at all. But we kept seeing all the fish Jumping in the middle of the lake. So we started trying some Spinners, and cranks out in the middle, and we had a little success but not much. I then started throwing a dual prop buzzbait around where they had been hitting and low and behold we started catching them consistantly for a couple of hours(we did have to keep chasing them though). Anyway I would never had planned to fish the open water(no cover), with clear sunny skies on a hot summer day, but that's what they wanted that day. :-/ Fish the patterns, but always be prepared to change strategies, the fish are the ones who really decide not us.

Bassboss,

I kinda agree with this post, but I think Cold fronts, are the hardest times to fish(usually that comes with a pressure change though). I would rather fish a very High pressure day, than I would during and right after a cold front. Just my experience.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-04, 10:58 AM   #6
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

bassboss
don't misconstrue,i really do appreciate your posts.maybe if i did pay a little more attention to certain things i could end up as top dog in my club instead of #2 or #3.it's very hard to get over that hump.
i have been making adjustments in my fishing and a lot of the subtle changes i have been making have been from suggestions and tips from this board and guys like you.
one important thing i learned is line can make all the difference in the world.switching to power pro and flourocarbon lines in some applications have really improved my catch rate.i used to used whatever line was on sale(the really cheap stuff).now i feel that the correct line MUST be used in certain situations.
maybe one of these days i'll get a barometer.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-04, 12:02 PM   #7
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1098835366;start=0#5 date=10/27/04 at 09:58:42]
maybe one of these days i'll get a barometer. [/quote]

don't need to. just watch your local weather. ;D

Charles

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.