Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-15-04, 04:16 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default help

As you all probly know there was a big front that went across the entire country within the past few days, we got it tis morning. Anyway I've got a tournament on the Butler chain this weekend. Normally I would be flipping heavy cover in these conditions, but there is a lack of cover on this particular chain of lakes. I'm thinking sense the water levels are high there will be current through the canals so I'd fish the mouths of them and fish the real slow because they're going to be real finicky. Anybody have any suggestions as what to use and where? Bassintom, I know youve fished here, anything you've got to say? Thanks.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 05:00 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: help

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1097867808;start=0#0 date=10/15/04 at 15:16:48]As you all probly know there was a big front that went across the entire country within the past few days, we got it tis morning. Anyway I've got a tournament on the Butler chain this weekend. Normally I would be flipping heavy cover in these conditions, but there is a lack of cover on this particular chain of lakes. I'm thinking sense the water levels are high there will be current through the canals so I'd fish the mouths of them and fish the real slow because they're going to be real finicky. Anybody have any suggestions as what to use and where? Bassintom, I know youve fished here, anything you've got to say? Thanks.[/quote]

Front can mean a lot of different things(cold front, low front, high front). Give us the temps the last week previous to the front, the current conditions, and what is projected for this weekend(especially the day of the tournament), and what hours the tournament is running. Sorry if this sounds like being picky, but all of this data is what I look for when trying to figure out a pattern when going fishing after fronts. Of course I will change my plan as soon as I see it ain't working

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 06:31 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok then lizards. It was a cold front. the past week the highs have been around 85, and lows about 70. Yesterday the low was 64 though. Today its a high of 76, low 55. Tomorrow 80/61. And my tournament on sunday its about normal with 85/65. The tounrament runs from 6:30 to 1:00. The water is really high, due to all the hurricanes and the tropical storm we got on monday.
Old 10-15-04, 07:01 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

ahhh fall from the heater to the ac in one day . they are calling for 46 degrees tomarrow moring-it is going to be very brisk going crossed high rock.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 07:02 PM   #5
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Yesterday morning was 40. It was awesome.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 07:44 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1097867808;start=0#2 date=10/15/04 at 17:31:52]Ok then lizards. It was a cold front. the past week the highs have been around 85, and lows about 70. Yesterday the low was 64 though. Today its a high of 76, low 55. Tomorrow 80/61. And my tournament on sunday its about normal with 85/65. The tounrament runs from 6:30 to 1:00. The water is really high, due to all the hurricanes and the tropical storm we got on monday.[/quote]

Well I really wouldn't change up much from what you just said. With all the extra water you have, and the little dip in temp(I know you may think it's alot but not too much) it shouldn't affect the water temp to much at all. As for the 630am start and it's gonna be a warmer day, I would start with your favorite topwater. BASSINTOM, told me he used a torpedo type prop bait(topwater) with a lot of success down there. I would then turn to spinners and cranks to try to get a quick limit if possible(if you haven't already). Then I would switch up to some deeper stucture as it heats up with possibly a c-rig Lizard or even the red shad worm you love so much. That would be my game plan going in, however I will say that the bass will probably tell you very quickly if it's gonna be a tough bite or not. Also are you going as a non-boater or is this a shore tournament of some sort? If you know who you're partnered with ask where and what he will be trying as the day goes on. Heck he may want to do everything opposite of what I just said. So be prepared for anything. I really like the topwater in the am, and spinners or cranks as that bite dies down. The good deeper plastics for the hotter part of the day. Now go win the tourny ;D

Lizards
Old 10-15-04, 08:16 PM   #7
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i've only fished fla.in the summer...june and july.
however,if the water is high,i would start shallow.although i have had much success with boy howdys i would go with a chartreuse buzzbait to start.
since i'm not there and have no idea what the conditions are(and you know they always change at tourney time),go textbook.if the fish are shallow you should be able get a limit fairly fast.if they aren't then i would go to soft plastics(t-rig,c-rig) or jigs.
then again remember i'm not too big on spinnerbaits,keep that in mind
good fishing,knock 'em dead
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 08:39 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1097867808;start=0#6 date=10/15/04 at 19:16:59]

then again remember i'm not too big on spinnerbaits,keep that in mind
good fishing,knock 'em dead[/quote]

OK Tom I know what a z-stein is, and you make this comment? Who are you trying to kid here If you don't call a z-stein a spinnerbait then what do you call it. No I'm not giving anyone any info about it, especially hose holder You got to go through zooker for any info or prices, but I will say it's gonna cost ya ;D

Lizards
Old 10-15-04, 08:44 PM   #9
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

hose holder?
Old 10-15-04, 09:20 PM   #10
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Hula, hose holder would be me. First off Lizard Ive offered to buy w/ no luck. But if you read one of my threads from earlier in week, Im going to drop my constant barrage and begging of Zook. Now about the cold front, hula me and you are pretty close here. I was out in the St Johns and Lake Washington Thursday from about 6am to 2-3pm. Most fish are way up in the weeds and trees. Did run a spinner along the docks and the water intake line in morning- 4-5 fish, most were under 3#. Moved to the grass lines and hyacinths just off the current and on the points. Threw spinners with little action, went with T rig wooly hogtail and caught 5-6 good fish- all 3 to 5 pounds. After about 11-12 nutin. Picked up my evil nemesis a jig- blue/black w/ matching trailer. Gentleman I have finally caught a fish w/ a jig! Went up by the dam- now underwater. Went to side where the steel was showing creating an eddie. Dropped a jig 3-4 times and got one, ended up pulling 4-5 fish out of this same little area w/ a JIG. Good Luck, I hope this gives ya a little help. Oh by the way-hogtail used 2 colors- Junebug/chartreuse and watermelon. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 09:22 PM   #11
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

since very few of us have access to zooks,i thought it best not to even bring it up.again the zooks work excellent in certain situations,but as almost everybody here knows,i mostly fish soft plastics.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 09:30 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1097867808;start=0#10 date=10/15/04 at 20:22:07]since very few of us have access to zooks,i thought it best not to even bring it up.again the zooks work excellent in certain situations,but as almost everybody here knows,i mostly fish soft plastics.[/quote]

I know I just couldn't resist myself on that one ;D ;D It's been too long from me for a ribbing, so here it was And Good Fishing, NOT LUCK

Lizards
Old 10-15-04, 09:41 PM   #13
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-15-04, 10:02 PM   #14
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

hose holder
thanks keep up the good work

lizard
just for your information a zook n stein is a "fermionedly deranged hairbringer of black bass extirpation"

ha! damit! now look it up.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 10-15-04, 11:10 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

saturday the low is supposed to be 50 i wouldnt b surprised if it was close to that right now....cold.good luck in the tourny
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-04, 01:08 PM   #16
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Lets put it this way, had a front come through recently and the temp dropped to about 45 in the morn. We went to a local lake and managed some small keepers first thing. No big deal, but then the wind started, and it stayed. 15-25 kts and steady.
Fish turned off about 10:00 and we had to go to finnesse. Small worms, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, but (well for us) forget topwater, too rough and the fish were off.
There were alot of shad but all the fish were small.
Next Sat. will be better (I hope).
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-04, 04:11 PM   #17
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i got 1 fisrt thing on a chug bug. the other two i got on a luckycraft cb sr-in shad - but the wind was something else. no cloud cover and very bright sun made conditions pretty hard to fish after a front.

bassman don't ya have 2 club tourny's next weekend?
had frost on the hill last night it was 36 about 7 this morning.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 10-18-04, 03:56 PM   #18
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Yea, we've got one on T-Town on the 30th.
We will have one following that one on the 6th at Kerr scott (N.Wilkeboro)
Not buggs.
Then we fish Tillary in Nov. later on. The dates, I don't know. Haven't got my info. in front of me.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 06:36 PM   #19
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

ouch tillary in early winter. that is going to be a tough tourny. one fish will more and likly win it.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 10-26-04, 09:33 PM   #20
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

try a mini spinner, beetle spin type thing
maybe a bitsy jig?
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.