Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-03-07, 02:50 PM   #1
gasmanbucs81
BassFishin.Com Member

Default In need of help 2!

i have spent my whole life saltwater fishing, now i live in concord nc where im 4 hours from saltwater so im taking up lake fishing now, but have no idea what type of lures, bait (live or not) tackle or anything of that nature to use or do..any help is greatly appreciated

andrew
gasmanbucs81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 03:02 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

You'll find there is a lot of crossover-a lot of the tactics you use in saltwater will work for bass. Here is a great site for getting started in bass fishing:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

That site will get you pointed in the right direction, answer a lot of your questions and probably generate a lot more .
Old 04-03-07, 04:34 PM   #3
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Concord??

Ah my neck of the woods. You will quickly find that the bass fishing here is good; Especially if you get to Wylie.

Do you have a boat, or stuck on the banks?
Old 04-03-07, 04:42 PM   #4
JB

To be honest, I think a rubber worm may be the way to get you started, I am sure most of us started with the 6 oe 7 inch ribbon plastic worms like culprit, zoom, manns, and many other brands...its a nice way to learn about bass and usually will work most of the year, plus will teach you patience.
learn to worm link
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 05:05 PM   #5
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. I would recomend some type of spinner and soft plastics to start.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 05:26 PM   #6
zooker

depends on the lake you choose. wylie is a color freak norman is normal..

on wylie metholite-blood red-or orange work, belive it or not..

norman
green pumkin,watermelon seed,red shad all work..norman bass are mostly KY spotted bass.

senko's,ribbon tailed worms,#5 shad rap,jointed shad rap..all work.

now word of advise both get a terrible amount of boat traffic during the summer months.. if you have not noticed norman has massive yahts-over 100 feet long-cruising all over it..hit one of these wakes wrong and you will get more than a bath..

zooker
Old 04-03-07, 07:41 PM   #7
lizardsrule

What type of salwater did you do? Did you use artificials for most fish while casting and retreiving them or were you using live/dead bait or trolling? If for example you fished for redfish/snook, then fishing for bass is almost easier. If you used jerkbaits, or crankbaits thsoe will work for bass also. If you used live abit, then you can use live bait for bass also. If you are used to fishing super deep, you gotta change that usually unless you fish winter or for small mouths. Usually aren't fishing where you are deeper than max 20 feet for the bass. I don't think the learing curve is near what you may expect, but the biggest thing is bass relate to cover probably more than they relate to structure many times(not always). If you have both cover and structure you have a great location usually. Welcome to the site and good fishing to ya.

Lizards
Old 04-05-07, 09:59 AM   #8
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
To be honest, I think a rubber worm may be the way to get you started, I am sure most of us started with the 6 oe 7 inch ribbon plastic worms like culprit, zoom, manns, and many other brands...its a nice way to learn about bass and usually will work most of the year, plus will teach you patience.
learn to worm link
Good advice JB! You can't go wrong with a rubber worm since it can't be fished wrong. Whether you want to jig it or swim it back, there always seems to be some fish that want it bad. I think that a white or firetiger 1/8th ounce rooster tail would also be a good choice for the lakes since it is easy to use and because it catches anything that swims. Also, try the Creme Soundrel rigged worm in natural worm color with a light split shot weight a foot or so in front of the worm will really you catch a lot of fish and help build your confidence on any body of water. The best things about these lures is that they are all cheap, and they work every time.

Oh, as for live bait: Try a split shot rig (with or without bobber) with a piece of nightcrawler threaded on the hook, near the banks. This works all of the time for all species of fish and is really good for a quick on-shore meal of panfish like bluegills.

Last edited by K-Driz; 04-05-07 at 10:07 AM.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 10:04 AM   #9
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
learn to worm link
Good advice JB! You can't go wrong with a rubber worm since it can't be fished wrong. Whether you want to jig it or swim it back, there always seems to be some fish that want it bad. I think that a white or firetiger 1/8th ounce rooster tail would also be a good choice for the lakes since it is easy to use and because it catches anything that swims. Also, try the Creme Soundrel rigged worm in natural worm color with a light split shot weight a foot or so in front of the worm will really you catch a lot of fish and help build your confidence on any body of water. The best things about these lures is that they are all cheap, and they work every time.

Oh, and as for live bait, I don't know of a lake fish that can pass up either a split shot rig (with or without a bobber) with a piece of nightcrawler threaded onto the hook fished near the bank. That works all of the time for all species and is really good if you need to catch some panfish like bluegills for breakfast/lunch/dinner.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.