Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-02-04, 09:09 PM   #1
powayfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Senkos Secrets, what are they?

Whats the trick to working the senkos? Most of the places I fish aren't that deep, I here a lot of people say that they hit it while its falling,but when I use it where I fish, it hits the bottem within 1-2 seconds. I tried letting it sit there and not moving it, I have also tried letting it sit for 15-20 seconds and then twitching it and repeating 3 times back to the boat. I'v tried twitching it like a slug-o are jerk bait,I'v tried everything I know and cant figure them things out. What am I doing wrong???

PHIL G.
Old 10-02-04, 09:15 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Senkos Secrets, what are they?

you got to throw it where the fish are ;D
weedlines,brushpiles,logs,basically any structure.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 09:27 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

There are a couple different ways to fish the senko. Â*Deadsticking is when you throw it out there and just let it sit from 15-45 secs and then twitch it a couple times. Â*Then there is wacky rigging where you take a circle hook and stick it through the middle of the senko and then jest twitch it to make the lure bend. Â*I don't use senkos though, I've never liked them, I'll stick with other soft jerkbaits.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 09:36 PM   #4
powayfisher

Oh I forgot to say Wacky, I know of and have tried every methed there is and just cant figure them out,do they work better in a deeper water situation are that does that matter much. I always fish cover!!! I'v consistantly caught more fish then I could ever begin to count on spinnerbaits, worms,and whatever other bass lure you can think of, and don't get me wrong, I'v caught a few fish with them but never more then one that day, not consistantly!!!

PHIL G.
Old 10-02-04, 10:35 PM   #5
bassfisher14

It's just like Bassintom said Buzzking. You have to throw it where the fish are. The bad thing about fishing senkos is they don't make any noise unless you add a rattler onto them. If the bass aren't there to see it, then they aren't going to hit it. Try inserting a rattle into the senko and see if you get better results.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 01:43 AM   #6
bassguy2004

When deadsticking a Senko, you have to be careful that the fish doesn't take the hook too deep. I've had that happen on a couple of occasions. Keep an eye on the line and if you notice the slightest tick set the hook.
Old 10-03-04, 01:52 AM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Take a look here, BK:

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/senko-fishing.shtml
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 11:24 AM   #8
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1096762189;start=0#1 date=10/02/04 at 20:15:16]you got to throw it where the fish are ;D
weedlines,brushpiles,logs,basically any structure.[/quote]

Yep, thats the key. If there are no fish where you are throwing them, no chance at any bites! Do read the article Reb has provided the link for also!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 01:38 PM   #9
mrcj1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrcj1

I tried senkos.... nothing, then put on a lizard...got a fish, then put on a fluke.....got another fish. So putting the senko where the fish are isn't all that needs to be done lol. I hope to figure them out someday since i hear so much praise about them.
mrcj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 03:36 PM   #10
powayfisher

What Chris McDonald said is exactly what I was trying to say, I can be slaughtering the bass and try a senko
and not get a bite, switch back to a brush hog and slam the fish. I do fish where the fish are, I'm not a rooky!! Just can't get those dang things to work for me!!!

PHIL G.
Old 10-03-04, 08:58 PM   #11
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

bassbooger,

You'd be surprised how well sound travels through water and also how well bass can pick up vibrations in the water.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 09:44 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Buzzking link=board=news;num=1096762189;start=0#9 date=10/03/04 at 14:36:52]What Chris McDonald said is exactly what I was trying to say, I can be slaughtering the bass and try a senko
and not get a bite, switch back to a brush hog and slam the fish. I do fish where the fish are, I'm not a rooky!! Just can't get those dang things to work for me!!!

PHIL G.[/quote]

It doesn't ake a rookie to miss fish or catch fish. That's for both you and Chris. If you don't like em then don't use them. I have caught bass with them, but a Lizard has out-performed them like Beer is to Odoul's. It's a good bait when nothing else is working IMO. I've never thrown a senko while I was catching fish with something else and have them just hammer them even more. I will throw them when nothing else is working. Lets face it, yes they will catch fish, but will they catch more fish ??? I don't believe that for a minute. I think they have a time and a place, but it's not the Greatest thing since sliced bread. Try to put a kink in it, and definately use them weightless. If you are fishing them and it's hitting the bottom in 1-2 seconds, it's very shallow, and perhaps not the best place for them. They are best IMO weightless free falling. If you don't have enough depth for them to free fall and the fish to watch it for a second or 2 before they hit it, probably won't have much luck. Also I believe they are much better in Clearer water than stained, again IMO. I say don't waste your money on something not working for you. If you want to keep throwing them, buy the Knock offs for a lot cheaper.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 11:08 PM   #13
powayfisher

Thanks Lizard, I kind of figured that the water was to shallow for em. I also fish alot of stained to murky water and I'm thinking that may be a problem for them also.
Thanks for all the comments Guys,

PHIL G.
Old 10-18-04, 08:40 PM   #14
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

[quote author=Buzzking link=board=news;num=1096762189;start=0#12 date=10/05/04 at 22:08:14]Thanks Lizard, I kind of figured that the water was to shallow for em. I also fish alot of stained to murky water and I'm thinking that may be a problem for them also.
Thanks for all the comments Guys,

PHIL G.[/quote]
Buzzking,

Don't let stained or muddy water keep you from using them. Just make sure you are using darker colors. I've actually caught a bass in 1'-2' of water using a Senko knockoff. The bass hit it a split second after it hit the water. I couldn't beleive it. My feeling is that there's a time and a place for everything and everybody has their own comfort level with certain baits. Don't let your lack of success keep you from trying them. You just never know when the bass will hit them like crazy.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 09:32 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

in muddy water don't be afraid to try things even out of the box type things last 2 weekends i have fished a very muddy lake. i got bass on a strange combo a wooley hawgtail in water melon seed with the kickers dyed chartuse. big went 5 and many dinks i think the ribbs make alot more vibberation the a bushhog does.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 11:22 PM   #16
weeddoggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to weeddoggy

If you are slaughtering the bass on other lures then why switch?
weeddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 12:40 AM   #17
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I've had good luck with Senko's by leaving them on the rack in the tackle shop.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 08:31 AM   #18
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

If it is to remain a secret, it cannot be told. ;D I throw the senko down wind blown banks where I cannot watch and fish the jig properly because of the wind.It works well skipped under docks as well but I do not like fishing docks.The best advice I can give you is to never be in a hurry when fishing a senko.I also will tell you that on wind blown banks ,you can cover alot of water fishing the weightless senko on slack line. I hope this helps ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 12:09 AM   #19
powayfisher

[quote author=UtahBass link=board=news;num=1096762189;start=0#15 date=10/23/04 at 22:22:32]If you are slaughtering the bass on other lures then why switch? [/quote]

Because I'm trying to use them at the most opertune times to get my moneys worth out of them, I just don't have any luck with em. I catch fish with a regular "floating" slow falling worm with no problem , but i can count on one hand the fish I'v cought on senkos, I Know they work because everyone raves so much about them, I just havn't figured them out yet!!!

PHIL G.
Old 10-27-04, 12:44 AM   #20
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

Sometimes the conditions just favor different things as well, so it doesnt mean they wont work on that lake. Last year i caught a ton of fish on a senko at the city lake here, but this year i may have caught 3 fish on them. This year crankbaits have been the most consistent lure for me there. Lures are like tools in your toolbox, some of them are for very specific applications and others you use every day. When the conditions are right for a senko they will work and it seems that time is when nothing wants to bite, or thats the case for me.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-04, 11:18 AM   #21
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

i find that light line 4-6 lb test and a 3/0 offset hook work well. dont use a worm weight let it slowly with out the weight
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 11:30 PM   #22
lilfish1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lilfish1

[quote author=cullin8s link=board=news;num=1096762189;start=0#19 date=10/26/04 at 23:44:27] it seems that time is when nothing wants to bite, or thats the case for me.[/quote]

You pretty much hit the nail on the head cullin. I find a senko to be a great tool when bass are holding tight and are being tight lipped. Thats why so many of the posters in this thread have said they wont catch a thing on a senko but then toss a spinner bait or a crankbait and then nail em. The fish were on a different pattern in the areas that were being fished. Still, with a little thought and effort, you can find a pattern where the senko will work as well I believe.

Also someone mentioned that they prefer other soft jerkbaits. I love slug-gos and flukes and use em both.... BUT... a senko is not a jerkbait. Its a finesse bait, predominantly. Sure it can be fished like a soft jerkbait but due to its density it wont react the same as say a slug-go. The senko is heavier and sinks rather quickly compared to the soft jerkbaits. ALso, its a more rigid body so the action from a senko compared to a soft jerkbait, when retrieved as a jerkbait, will be lesser, as far as the tails are concerned.
The senko has it's place and purpose. If you find those two factors, you will wear the fish out! ;D

Dont Catch Em All, Jared
S&K Pro Staff - S&K Guide Services
lilfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 11:33 PM   #23
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

yankee,
I was the one that posted about not liking the senkos. Since then I have learned how to fish them really well and they got me 5 fish in a tournament about two weeks ago. They are great for fishing when the bite is slow and for fishing arounf structure.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 11:38 PM   #24
lilfish1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lilfish1

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1096762189;start=0#22 date=10/29/04 at 22:33:50]yankee,
I was the one that posted about not liking the senkos. Â*Since then I have learned how to fish them really well and they got me 5 fish in a tournament about two weeks ago. Â*They are great for fishing when the bite is slow and for fishing arounf structure. [/quote]

Awesome! Way to go on limiting! ;D
lilfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 08:26 AM   #25
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

lakecityyankee
welcome to the site.i can see from your posts that you have a lot of bassin knowhow to contribute .who knows,maybe you will even learn a thing or 2.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.