Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-23-04, 11:14 PM   #1
weeddoggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to weeddoggy
Default Hook Selection

I was just reading a post in which lizardsrule said that he uses a 5/0 hook for flukes. I usually use a 3/0 I was curious as to what everybody else was using. What size do you use on Lizards, what about 4" and 6" worms?
weeddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 11:31 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Hook Selection

Depends on the bait. I usr a 3/0 of 4/0 for flukes and a 1/0 ot 2/0 on 4 and 6 inch worms.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 08:23 AM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Utah,I use a 4/0 on super flukes, 2/0 or 3/0 on lizards, a 1/0 or 2/0 on zoom u tale worms, a owner 6/0 hook on the 10" wormsI do not buy the jigs with the wide gap hook in them, I like the heavy round bend hook in 4/0 or 5/0 on my jigs.It is of course only my opinion and what seems to work well for me.I hope it helps you , P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 09:16 AM   #4
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

I lost a tourney once due to using a 3/0 on a wild thang so now I use a 5/0 whenever I can.
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 01:19 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

4/0-5/0 on big baits-flukes,bushhogs.
2/0-3/0 most every thing else
1/0-short shank owner's. on the net bait finesse worms -they are real small around. and 2/0 were killing the action.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 09:45 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=UtahBass link=board=news;num=1098584040;start=0#0 date=10/23/04 at 22:14:00]I was just reading a post in which lizardsrule said that he uses a 5/0 hook for flukes. I usually use a 3/0 I was curious as to what everybody else was using. What size do you use on Lizards, what about 4" and 6" worms?[/quote]

Glad someone reads my dribble/drivle/whatever I say. Yes I always use a 5/0 of SUPER flukes type baits. One reason is because I don't think hook size has a bearing on a fish biting or not, UNLESS it affects the ACTION of the bait. Secondly I rig a Fluke opposite of most folks. I have it rigged with the point on the belly instead of on it's back. I do this to make it more weedless, and I actually like the way the Hook looks like a fin on top. And lastly the reason I use a 5/0 on the Super Flukes, is because the folks who sell the brand I use Fin-S( http:/www.lunkercity.com ) reccomended that size with their's. I use a 3/0 or 2/0 Owner EWG for most other plastics, including Lizards. I will change depending on the Bait size. I prefer a 3/0 on a 6" Lizard mostly, but will go down to a 1/0 if I want less fall. I will do the same with everything else. I've also been known to use 5/0 on 6" Lizards also.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.