Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-13-08, 09:32 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Types of Lakes

I'm trying to understand the main types of lakes around here, which include drainage lakes, seepage lakes, and natural springs.
I do understand how important current is and how it positions fish on/near structure, but I'm trying to figure out how the type of lake has an affect on current. I see that drainage lakes have inflows via stream and outflows, and impoundments have dams.

Which lakes actually have dams? Does the type of lake dictate this?

Also, how can I find out who operates the dam at my lake, and how to contact them? I called the WI DNR, but they couldn't give me a good answer. They transferred me to some lady who didn't even answer.

Thanks
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 11:40 PM   #2
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Alot of lakes have dams, the most commom would be man-made lakes and reservoirs (impoundment). Man made lakes with dams wont have much current since there isn't a river running into it. If it has any current at all it would be water going over its spill-way. A reservoir will have currnent most of the time, but the level of current verys from impoundment to impoundment, hour by hour and local weather patterns. In a man-made lake you would have to contact which ever agencies owns the lake, wheather its state or county owned. But really they don't really know. They just let mother nature do her thing, and how ever much water goes over the spill-way goes unmeasured.
But for a reservoir, contact the U.S Army Corp of engineers, they control all reservoirs and the major river systems the the U.S., and they can tell you exactly the cubic feet per second of water going through the gate at the dam.
But really, only current in rivers affect the position of fish because its by far the strongest. Current in lakes and reservoirs is generally very subtle, unless the reservoir's water shed experienced large amounts of rain or they need to make electricity, then there might be enough current to position fish a certain way.
Hope this helps.. good fishin'!!
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 12:52 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if you have water you will have currant it is that simple.be it a pond or the great lakes...

if you have a gps with an elevation feature you will learn water is not flat. water always flows down hill..

ask the county divison of water/fisheries..they can tell you alot about the spefic water in that county.. the state really wont tell you who owns it unless it is a major hydro eletric plant.

also a big clue is look at what big industy is near by. big indusrty,nuclear power plants,hydro eletric producers all use a massive amount of water. which means they all would benifit from having a sizable water source-ie lake- near at hand. big industry and hydro eletric companys tend to be more fisherman friendly in allowing poeple to know what is in the lake-topo maps-nukes are a bit less fisherman friendly-

zooker
Old 08-15-08, 02:11 AM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
-nukes are a bit less fisherman friendly-

zooker
But damn if you can't catch some weird looking fish near them....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.