Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-15-12, 06:14 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Golden oldies, lures that is.

The recent thread about Mepps spinners got me to thinking about the lures that have come and gone that were proven winners at one time. Perhaps a better version hit the market, perhaps they arn't made anymore, but mostly, they are lures we lost faith in for the newer lure designs. But the fact is, they probably still catch bass. What might be some lures or techniques you once relied on but rarely use now?

One bait that I used to use regularly is a weedless spoon. The Johnson Minnow comes to mind. Coupled with a trailer, it can be deadly in vegitation. But you never hear anyone talk about them and rarely see one thrown. I still use them on occation, but not often.

Another bait that seems to have lost favor is a hard bodied floating jerkbait like a Rapala balsa minnow, or the floating Rattlin Rouge. I still use these with regularity and catch more bass on these than I do suspending jerkbaits. But all the rage is suspending jerkbaits.

Thats a couple of mine that come to mind. What about some others? Maybe we can cause a revival of some of the older lures.
Old 10-15-12, 10:15 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith here's one from 30+ yrs ago. I can't remember the name of it or who made it, can't find it on the net no matter what keywords I use. Shaped and built like the Johnson spoon you mentioned but bigger and made of plastic. Had a rectangular hole cut out in the center. mounted in the hole was a brass two-bladed wheel like a Mississippi riverboat wheel that would catch water and spin and throw water in the air, plus make a wicked little noise. Marketed as a lure to fish over the top of grass or pads or whatever. Caught a lot of fish on them down in Fla back in the day.

**if T sees this he might can find it or maybe some old timers might actually remember what it was or even still have one.**
Old 10-15-12, 10:35 PM   #3
bassinbob

I use the silver minnow on one lake I fish that has northerns in it all the time. Never know if your going to get a pike or a bass. I also used to use a River Runt a lot . Never use it now but still have 2. I used to throw a jointed Pikie Minnow years ago. Also the Flat Fish. Also used a Daredevil on trout lakes. That and a Mepps, you could catch trout and bass on either one.
ken I know the lure you're talking about but just can't remember the name or maker right now. Didn't it also have a tail made of plastic strands?
Old 10-15-12, 11:09 PM   #4
keithdog

I know that lure Ken, but darned if I can remember who made it or what it was called. But I remember seeing them back in the day. For some reason I'm thinking Heddon made it. Similar to a Heddon Moss Boss but with a paddle wheel in the middle of the body.

River Runts, Pikie Minnows, and Flat Fish Bob? Your age is showing. haha Good lures though.

Last edited by keithdog; 10-15-12 at 11:21 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 11:50 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Keith here's one from 30+ yrs ago. I can't remember the name of it or who made it, can't find it on the net no matter what keywords I use. Shaped and built like the Johnson spoon you mentioned but bigger and made of plastic. Had a rectangular hole cut out in the center. mounted in the hole was a brass two-bladed wheel like a Mississippi riverboat wheel that would catch water and spin and throw water in the air, plus make a wicked little noise. Marketed as a lure to fish over the top of grass or pads or whatever. Caught a lot of fish on them down in Fla back in the day.

**if T sees this he might can find it or maybe some old timers might actually remember what it was or even still have one.**

Take a look at the Norman Weed Walker, might be close to what you are thinking about.

http://www.normanlures.com/img/products/WW_WWII.jpg
Old 10-15-12, 11:54 PM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Take a look at the Norman Weed Walker, might be close to what you are thinking about.

http://www.normanlures.com/img/products/WW_WWII.jpg
Good call, Tony knows his stuff!
Old 10-16-12, 12:42 AM   #7
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I remember the weed walker. I have caught a lot of bass on Hula Poppers and Creek Chub Darters. The Creek Chub Darter in wood in frog colored with the concave belly was my GrandFather's favorite bait outside of a purple Creme worm. I put a Creek Chub Darter in his casket. Unfortunately the only one I had at the time was plastic. Not sure it is still made.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 03:45 AM   #8
Tavery5

Creek Chub still makes some of its baits, but the darter is no longer. You can find them on ebay easily for less than $15 if you are interested.
Old 10-16-12, 07:06 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

Norman Weed Walker das gude. Thanks T!
Old 10-16-12, 12:23 PM   #10
Tavery5

Baits I used as a kid 30-40 years ago that produced well for me are Storm Wiggle Wart, and Thin Fin. Johnson Beetle Spin was another that I used a a lot, Arbogast Hula Popper, and the Heddon Bayou Boogie were others that I can remember.

Funny thing is all these baits are still in production and will still catch fish, as I got older my taste in baits changed, not so sure about the fish.
Old 10-16-12, 05:17 PM   #11
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Beetle spins, hula poppers and Rapala minnows all still live in my tackle bags.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 12:54 AM   #12
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Baits I used as a kid 30-40 years ago that produced well for me are Storm Wiggle Wart, and Thin Fin. Johnson Beetle Spin was another that I used a a lot, Arbogast Hula Popper, and the Heddon Bayou Boogie were others that I can remember.

Funny thing is all these baits are still in production and will still catch fish, as I got older my taste in baits changed, not so sure about the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Beetle spins, hula poppers and Rapala minnows all still live in my tackle bags.
All of the above are still in my boxes.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 08:41 PM   #13
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Caught my first bass on a clear/red face river runt in 1958 or 59 on the Perdanallis River in Texas. Still have it along with a few others.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 10:59 PM   #14
Rebbasser

I remember the Weed Walker. Hadn't thought about that in a long time.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned a Jitterbug. As a kid I threw it all the time but haven't thrown it in years.

How about a purple/white or fire tail worm? Caught a ton of fish on them and haven't thrown one in years.

Keith, you are right about the floating hard jerkbait. Caught a ton of bass on those, too, and haven't thrown one in years.

On the flip side, it seems like when you find a great bait they often discontinue them. The Heddon Tiny Chugger comes to mind.
Old 10-28-12, 06:13 AM   #15
joedog

Do live Crawlers and live Minnows count?

I can't find any from my early years but the NEW ones look the same as when I started fishing.

Oh, I have a weed walker 1/4 Oz. still in package. 1/4 Oz. Bull Frog.
Package is beat to he** from years of traveling in boats and cars but may make a GREAT Secret Santa gift.

Last edited by joedog; 10-28-12 at 06:20 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 11:00 AM   #16
the pyromaniac

@Tavery5, thanks for naming the Weed Walker, that was gonna bug me all day at work & church! Now, for the original question, I still love the Rapala Original floater and Countdown Minnow. I've caught a lot of fish on the Smithwick Rogue, Heddon Hellcat, Crème Scoundrel, Worden's Rooster Tail, Luhr Jensen Shyster, Worden's Flatfish, Heddon Zara Spook, Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap, and Heddon Torpedo.
Old 10-28-12, 09:02 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Flatfish? Pyro, that is another one I haven't used or even thought about in years. I still keep a Heddon Tiny Torpedo handy-one of the great all-time topwaters IMO.

We are having a nice stroll down memory lane here.
Old 10-29-12, 07:39 AM   #18
kennethdaysale

This thread got me thinking of my childhood and the wonder and amazement I felt back in the 50's when I watched my Uncle open his HUGE hip roof Plano and fan those drawers out wide. (seemed to me as a kid that there must have been 100's of compartments). Satisfying and interesting to me to understand fishermans obsession with gear, tackle and lures goes back so far. The "monkey" has been around a long time!

Here's a link to a 1941 Heddon catalog, fun to read the descriptions and verbage they used. Not much different than todays language really. Notice that they introduced a deep diving River Runt that year that would dive 20' ! Who knew that they knew then what we know now but think it's new?
http://www.oldfishinglure.com/heddonlurecatalog1941.htm

edit...lots of familiar stuff and some strange....here a strange one, a prop bait that sinks?
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  8.8 KB

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 10-29-12 at 07:46 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 03:40 PM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

The first thing that popped in my head was a Smithwick Devils Horse and a Heddon tiny torpedo and a Luhr Jensen Nip-I-Diddee. I didn't know anything else existed to bass fishing until I was 16 or 17.
Old 10-29-12, 03:57 PM   #20
joedog

How about the Moss boss?

It's still in production but it was one of the first 'slop' baits.
Very challenging hook sets.
It was my beginning to that 'top water obssesion' most of us have.
Old 02-21-13, 06:27 PM   #21
Old Hooker

Ok guys, I know this is bringing back life to the dead, but I've been gone. As I was reading this I realized my main tackle box could qualify as a museum. Want proof? ok, here goes.

I have 2 Weed Walkers. 1 chrome, 1 frog. 3 Johnson Silver Minnow spoons. 1 silver, 1 gold and 1 black. 1 Jitterbug and 1 Hula Popper, both black. 2 Bill Dance Flippin' Craws. A Roland Martin Blue Fox spinnerbait. 2 Spinnershad prop baits and several bags of BPS Triple Ripple worms. Plus a few more that old age prohibits me from remembering the name of.

Several of those I don't use because I am afraid of loosing them. I should retire them, but I hate to have a empty space in the tackle box.
Old 02-23-13, 11:53 PM   #22
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
Ok guys, I know this is bringing back life to the dead, but I've been gone. As I was reading this I realized my main tackle box could qualify as a museum. Want proof? ok, here goes.

I have 2 Weed Walkers. 1 chrome, 1 frog. 3 Johnson Silver Minnow spoons. 1 silver, 1 gold and 1 black. 1 Jitterbug and 1 Hula Popper, both black. 2 Bill Dance Flippin' Craws. A Roland Martin Blue Fox spinnerbait. 2 Spinnershad prop baits and several bags of BPS Triple Ripple worms. Plus a few more that old age prohibits me from remembering the name of.

Several of those I don't use because I am afraid of loosing them. I should retire them, but I hate to have a empty space in the tackle box.
If John sees you have any lure with Roland Martins name attached to it, he just might offer to buy it off ya!
Old 02-24-13, 08:58 PM   #23
Old Hooker

I had two of the #5 Blue Fox spinnerbaits. One white/nickel and the other chart/gold. The white one caught my biggest fish ever. A 25lb Northern Pike back in 1989. I hung it up and lost it about two weeks after that.

The thing about every bait I just named is they are at least 20 years old and most older than that. Nothing wrong with them, just most I bought when I lived in Oklahoma and the waters are night and day different between there and Tenn.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.