Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-07-13, 04:08 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Major League Fishing

Anybody watch it ?

Love the new format.. not boring at all.

Surprise venues
No practice days
Real-time leader board in each boat
No limits on the number of fish weighed
Implement time-based deadlines and weight-based cut lines
No live wells since all legal fish count.. and are released right where caught..

Very interesting..

Capt Mike
Old 01-07-13, 04:31 PM   #2
WatterBoy

Hadn't heard of it, but that sounds really cool. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 04:42 PM   #3
Jrob78

The first episode of the 2nd season started last week. I think they have a free extended coverage episode online (the rest are pay per view.) It comes on Thursday nights at 8pm on the Outdoor Channel. It's a really cool format.
Old 01-08-13, 10:05 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It's an awesome show with an awesome format. I really don't care for the new rule that you have to bend down and drop the fish in the water from the gunnel height of the boat or lower, it just really makes no sense to me.
Old 01-08-13, 10:11 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
It's an awesome show with an awesome format. I really don't care for the new rule that you have to bend down and drop the fish in the water from the gunnel height of the boat or lower, it just really makes no sense to me.
I agree, they added that and the rule about the fish not hitting the carpet. I think I understand why they did it though.

Do you remember the 1st episode of last season when Biffle broke off a fish and had to sit for 2 minutes without doing anything? It totally threw him off his game and he ended up not advancing. I think they wanted that to be in play more but nobody ever really broke off any fish so they had to add more excuses to use that 2 minute penalty. I think I only remember one other time it happened all of last season. Just a thought.
Old 01-08-13, 10:36 PM   #6
WatterBoy

Dang, just found out we don't get the Outdoor Channel with our current cable package.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 10:51 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I agree, they added that and the rule about the fish not hitting the carpet. I think I understand why they did it though.

Do you remember the 1st episode of last season when Biffle broke off a fish and had to sit for 2 minutes without doing anything? It totally threw him off his game and he ended up not advancing. I think they wanted that to be in play more but nobody ever really broke off any fish so they had to add more excuses to use that 2 minute penalty. I think I only remember one other time it happened all of last season. Just a thought.
Yeah I agree, I think maybe it was Kelly Jordan that got broke off after Biffle did? That might not be right but I remember it happening anyways. I can sort of understand the fish hitting the carpet rule since it can cause problems by removing the slime coat. But the rule about having to bend down to the gunnel to release the fish just seems random. Regardless, it's a really cool format and other than Mike McClelland getting knocked out at the last minute by the walking and talking billboard (Shaw Grigsby) it was a really good 1st round.
Old 01-08-13, 10:59 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Dang, just found out we don't get the Outdoor Channel with our current cable package.
That sucks Dean, it's a really cool format and a fresh way to watch competitive fishing. You're in luck though, you can watch all the episodes with extended coverage online (for a small fee.) They have the first episode of this season posted for free, check it out.

http://www.majorleaguefishing.com/Ne...o.aspx?id=1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Yeah I agree, I think maybe it was Kelly Jordan that got broke off after Biffle did? That might not be right but I remember it happening anyways. I can sort of understand the fish hitting the carpet rule since it can cause problems by removing the slime coat. But the rule about having to bend down to the gunnel to release the fish just seems random. Regardless, it's a really cool format and other than Mike McClelland getting knocked out at the last minute by the walking and talking billboard (Shaw Grigsby) it was a really good 1st round.
I was thinking it was Brent Ehrler that it happened to but it might have been Jordan. Hell, it might have been both of them, I just remember Biffle getting a little spun out when it happened to him.

I agree that the first episode was good. It also seems like a cool lake with lots of good cover to fish with some quality fish and numbers. I am curious to see if they change anything else. Last season, the 2nd rounds of eliminations were decided by the first 2 anglers to reach a pre-determined weight, it will be interesting to see if they stick with that or do something else.
Old 01-08-13, 11:33 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That sucks Dean, it's a really cool format and a fresh way to watch competitive fishing. You're in luck though, you can watch all the episodes with extended coverage online (for a small fee.) They have the first episode of this season posted for free, check it out.

http://www.majorleaguefishing.com/Ne...o.aspx?id=1353

I was thinking it was Brent Ehrler that it happened to but it might have been Jordan. Hell, it might have been both of them, I just remember Biffle getting a little spun out when it happened to him.

I agree that the first episode was good. It also seems like a cool lake with lots of good cover to fish with some quality fish and numbers. I am curious to see if they change anything else. Last season, the 2nd rounds of eliminations were decided by the first 2 anglers to reach a pre-determined weight, it will be interesting to see if they stick with that or do something else.
Maybe it was Ehrler, I do remember Biffle getting all out of sorts when he got the penalty though. As even keeled as those guys are, it was strange to see one of the most laid back anglers get so rattled over two minutes. I mean as effecient as those guys fish two minutes really doesn't amount to a whole lot, especially when you know for a fact what fish are caught and by who during those two minutes. I would have a harder time staying calm if I didn't know what was going on while I was sitting out for two minutes because I would convince myself that everyone else landed at least 10lbs while I was sitting on my butt.

This lake seems really cool, it looks like the kind of place that patterns can go from good to horrible as weather changes and the fish make transitions. It seems like your either going to be on the fish or have a horrible day. It's really fun to see how fast these guys figure it out though.
Old 01-08-13, 11:52 PM   #10
bcklash

I loved it in the 1st episode when they were making fun of Biffle.
Old 01-08-13, 11:59 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Hahahaha, that was hilarious. I'd forgotten about that.
Old 01-09-13, 12:01 AM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
That was awesome!
Old 01-09-13, 09:36 PM   #13
Rebbasser

I've caught it a few times. Fun format to watch.
Old 02-21-13, 04:03 PM   #14
Captmikestarrett

I saw Denny win (opps spoiler alert) Never did see why Mike Icconelli did not make the cut in final 6. He made the 22lb cut off the round before.. perhaps he had another Tourney to be at..

Anybody?

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.