Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-26-13, 02:58 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New 2013 big bass thread

2013 BassFishin.com BIG BASS CONTEST
$20.00 Entry Fee $400.00 MINIMUM PAYOUT

1 WINNING FISH DETERMINED BY % OF STATE RECORD (see note A below)

2 ONLY FISH PICTURES POSTED WITHIN A WEEK IN THIS THREAD CLEARLY SHOWING SCALE READING
QUALIFY (SEE NOTE B BELOW)

3 LARGEMOUTH AND SMALLMOUTH BOTH QUALIFY

4 CONTEST RUNS FROM 3/1/13 UNTIL 12/31/13

5 ALL ENTRY FEES MUST BE PAID BEFORE 3/1

6 WE MUST HAVE 20 PAID ENTRIES BY 3/1 OR WE SCRUB

1st Place--Nelson Custom Rod

2nd Place-Bubba Bruiser Custom Rod

3rd Place-Possible based on # of paid entrys.

Tournament Director Jrob (see note C below)
Tournament Co-Director 1/4 stick

*A example if your state record is 10 pounds and your entry weighs 5 pounds your contest entry is 50% (convert all weight to ounces first to avoid confusion)

*B sorry no exceptions (mule please ask your co-angler to snap a pic for you!)

*C PM Jrob to confirm your intentions to participate and get entry fee submission info
Old 01-26-13, 03:08 PM   #2
kennethdaysale

Ok you guys......we can and should make sure that everything in the above post is clear and that we're all in agreement and feel good about this. If you've got any questions or concerns at all whether you're already committed or considering entering, nows the time to air it out.

Nobody's going to have much use for a contestant in june who says "i didn't understand"

JROB AND 1/4 STICK--- WHAT CAN YOU THINK OF THAT WOULD MAKE JUDGING THIS EASIER OR WHAT CAN YOU ANTICIPATE THAT MIGHT CAUSE ISSUES?
Old 01-26-13, 03:13 PM   #3
aikenyounggun

I'm thinking about it guys, mainly cause the rod is such an awesome prize.

But I don't understand why it is starting so late, I would send in my money as soon as possible and start as soon as possible. I know this isn't 'fair' to the people up north who have a season, a much shorter season to fish, but hear me out for a second. The records up north are a lot smaller (for obvious reasons of growth) but I also think its a lot better chance of catching a 60%-70% of state record fish up north. 70% in SC is over 11lbs, most likely, that just aint gonna happen. Unless I fished Santee every day, or fished ponds all the time.

I know there is no perfect system, and its in good fun, but if yall can agree to start it as soon as possible (like today), you can count me in. I have a tournament tomorrow, haha, not like it will be kickin out any huge ones.

Sorry I got in this so late, I'm still around as much as possible, I just took way too many classes and am super busy

*EDIT- posted this in old one minutes after Ken posted his end thread-- didn't refresh page*
Old 01-26-13, 04:03 PM   #4
joedog

I'm not sure if this is just a Ken, Stick, Jrob answer post so let us know,
but....

The reason for the start date is MONEY has to be RECEIVED before start date.
Poor Mike was still collecting entry fees after payout date on last years.
Thanks again Mr. Mallen!
Unless you PayPaled tommorrow still wouldn't have counted.

I agree with your thoughts on us Northern Boys having equal opportunity if not better. I'm COUNTING on just that! And proudly will acknowledge it in my VICTORY TEXT!
Plus Florida's spawn isn't done yet!
Old 01-26-13, 05:33 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Excellent point Aiken! However the later date (3/1) allows for more paid entries. If we started today, we wouldn't have much time to get paid entries.
Old 01-26-13, 05:53 PM   #6
Jrob78

Just an update, as of right now these people have confirmed their participation.

Gbassman
kennethdaysale
bamabassman
Crankbait
Woody
nobass
IowaBasser
Bubba_Bruiser - Paid
Joedog
Keithdog
Bassboss
nofearengineer
lilmule

For those who want in, send me a PM with "2013 Contest" as the subject and your state of residence in the body. I will send you payment details in my reply. Please copy co-judge, 1/4stick on the PM.

3-1 is the start date. As Joe said, this allows a cutoff time for everyone to get their money in. If you haven't paid by then, you're out. It also allows the northern guys a fair shot to have close to as much fishing time as everyone else.

nobass asked about including spots. My thought is that it should stay at LM and SM but it's up to you guys.
Old 01-26-13, 07:13 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob78 View Post
confirm
nobass asked about including spots. My thought is that it should stay at lm and sm but it's up to you guys.
the rules stand as posted
no stripers/whites/wipers/spotted/shoal/redeye/suwanee/guadalupe or even bartrams bass qualify.
Old 01-26-13, 07:42 PM   #8
Jrob78

The way I see it, judging should be pretty straight forward. If you want your fish to count, you need to make sure your pictures are clear and show the fish and scale. Take as many pictures as you have to.

If anything is left to interpretation, your fish WILL be disqualified.

I can't say this anymore clearly than that. Take good photos!
Old 01-26-13, 08:29 PM   #9
bassinbob

Hey if the southern guys are paid now I don't see a problem counting their fish.
Old 01-26-13, 08:34 PM   #10
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Hey if the southern guys are paid now I don't see a problem counting their fish.
I do.. It needs to be a level playing field.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 08:38 PM   #11
Jrob78

The southern guys will also get a month or more of fishing time at the end of the year when the northern guys will be finished. The trade off is, some of the southern guys will miss the spawn. I think it evens out pretty well. The northern guys will get prime fishing time but the southern guys will get more fishing time.

I haven't checked the mail yet today but so far only one person has paid and he is in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. No one is ready to start yet.
Old 01-26-13, 08:45 PM   #12
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
The way I see it, judging should be pretty straight forward. If you want your fish to count, you need to make sure your pictures are clear and show the fish and scale. Take as many pictures as you have to.

If anything is left to interpretation, your fish WILL be disqualified.

I can't say this anymore clearly than that. Take good photos!

AND BEWARE OF THE PINK HOODIE!

another JB photoshop

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 01-26-13 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 10:14 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

My dinner's coming back up. Does he have bewbs?
Old 01-26-13, 10:30 PM   #14
woody

My "Man Card" keeps me from answering that question...but I can say that I'm never surprised with a photoshop by "JB".

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 01-26-13 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 10:57 PM   #15
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
My dinner's coming back up. Does he have bewbs?
He is a bewb!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-13, 11:03 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post

another JB photoshop

-Mark
I haven't a clue who JB is but........Id'nt the guy in the hoodie James Earl Jones? I'd recognize him anywhere!
Old 01-27-13, 12:11 AM   #17
keithdog

Ken, JB is an old timer here. We don't see him here as much as we used to. He is a wiz at artistic computor work!
Old 01-27-13, 08:46 PM   #18
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Ok you guys......we can and should make sure that everything in the above post is clear and that we're all in agreement and feel good about this. If you've got any questions or concerns at all whether you're already committed or considering entering, nows the time to air it out.

Nobody's going to have much use for a contestant in june who says "i didn't understand"

JROB AND 1/4 STICK--- WHAT CAN YOU THINK OF THAT WOULD MAKE JUDGING THIS EASIER OR WHAT CAN YOU ANTICIPATE THAT MIGHT CAUSE ISSUES?
Seems pretty simple on my end. So so-far noting except what Jrob mentioned about clear pics.
Old 01-27-13, 08:46 PM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Proposition....to boost the pot size. I would like to make an offer if allowed & ask if I can enter my 2 sons, 6 & 9 as a 2 for 1?

Any takers or feedback of the request?

Yay or Nay
Old 01-27-13, 08:58 PM   #20
kennethdaysale

Hey......since a clear photograph is key during this deal, I'm going to be spending some time in Feb. researching how to make that easier for all of us. I'd hate for somebody to catch a truly huge fish and not be able to post a good pic.

Of course it shouldn't be a problem when we have someone with us, it's those solo trips that I'll be focusing on--whether it's in the boat or from shore. During last years contest it became clear that I would need a better approach.

When trying to take a picture of a fish hanging from a scale by yourself you have only two or three choices. The first and worst one is to try and hold the camera in one hand reach way out and point it back at you holding the fish/scale. Trust me that pic has little chance of winning anything but the dufus award. You can try using your cameras self timer and multi burst feature and a tripod and maybe get a good pic( the advantage is you get to be in the picture!) The third way is to set up something in your boat (more specific details next week) to hang the scale and fish from securely and snap away until you're satisfied.

If you have a livewell in your boat this paragraph doesn't apply to you. I have two in my boat but since I never used them I converted them to storage years ago. So the first thing you've got to do when you lip a fish that might qualify is keep it alive and out of your hands. I rigged up a simple clip on paracord secured to the gunwale that's always at my fingertips, clip the fish through the chin, drop it overboard and get camera and scale hanger set. Takes less than a minute total.

Here's a link http://www.trophybassonly.com/id53.htm to read and I'll be posting more as time goes on. I am wide open to hear everybody else ideas on this subject. I really want this to be fun for all of us and hope that we are all grown enough and trust each other to the point that we will be pulling for each other instead of giving each other the ol Fish Eye Notwithstanding of course that I really do want to win and a little trash talking is fun and competition is healthy.
Old 01-27-13, 09:00 PM   #21
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Proposition....to boost the pot size. I would like to make an offer if allowed & ask if I can enter my 2 sons, 6 & 9 as a 2 for 1?

Any takers or feedback of the request?

Yay or Nay
Details? ..........................
Not sure what details I was looking for please pardon me. After you posted I went downstairs and asked Pam if she wanted to play. Her reply: "what do I win" after a brief explanation...........she's in. But she's not a member and has little or no desire/time to post or participate here. She does however go with me 15-20+ times a year and is a good fisherperson. My ethics (or hers) wouldn't allow me to pose with a 10 lb fish she might catch and it would be a shame to waste it but.............. I dunno what to do I didn't anticipate this scenario.

**2nd edit** I think I'd feel better letting Jrob and 1/4 stick make the call on this one. Plus input from the other players....if somebody hates it

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 01-27-13 at 09:21 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 09:46 PM   #22
Jrob78

Personally, I'm ok with both scenarios. I can vouch for the fact that Bubba's two sons are the age he says they are and they do go fishing with him. I also know Pam goes fishing with you, we've all seen pictures of her and her catches. I wouldn't be ok with someone's buddy who wasn't an active member joining in but I think an exception can be made for Bubba's sons and Ken's wife. I am also ok with the 2 for 1 for Bubba's sons, they are 6 and 9 after all.

Please voice your opinions on this. If anyone has a problem with it, we won't do it.

Also, on the problem of getting good pictures, I had an idea. If you can take a picture of the scale and hopefully get partial fish and then take another picture of the whole fish lying on a measuring board with a clear length reading, that should verify the weight picture. A 18" bass isn't going to weigh 11lbs....etc.

Please speak up guys, I need to know your opinions. We all need to agree on the rules and who can participate.
Old 01-27-13, 10:05 PM   #23
joedog

I'm good with the boys and the beautiful young lady entering cause I offered Bassin'Gal the same thing for her husband 'hoping' you all would agree.
Pics still have to be gotten and posted so no big deal in my eyes.
Plus Ken, I'd much rather look at pictures with Pam in then you anyway!

The pics as a solo shorebuster and wader are the CHALLENGE!
You saw my last year pics...one monster the flash blinded the screen. It was too dark not to use flash.
I thank you Ken for all help!

But for those on the fence...see, the competitors are making sure EVERYONE has a chance to BEAT them!
Great prizes!
Great competitors!
GREAT FUN!

No-one could ask for MORE!

Hey Bubba, the kids ever use that flipping game I sent?
Old 01-27-13, 10:10 PM   #24
kennethdaysale

Maybe just allow blood kin living under the same roof to enter. Likely that there are 5-6+ guys that are already entered that find themselves in similar positions as me and bubba. James Earl Jones comes to mind If so then it could help us get to the magic #30 entrants I was hoping for. I'm trying to think of an obvious downside but can't. But like I said I yield the call on this to the consensus and the judges.
Old 01-27-13, 10:31 PM   #25
bamabassman

i'm fine with it bubba. dylan JSUT got a HUGE bass today gang. so we all better watch out,lol.

i asked lisa again if she wanted in, she asked what was the prize, i told her. she then thought about it for a bit, then said, "no, not this time..maybe next time."

so my "money" will be going out tomorrow.

as for the time....look gang. if we are going tomake this a FAIR CONTEST. LET'S STICK WITH THE TIME FRAMES. THIS WAY all who enter start off at the same time. and if oyu are entering, please send in the money. after all monies are IN, then we can see where we are.

it doesn't bother me to start later then MY season or whatever starts. let everyone start at the same time. that way no one is ahead of anyone else. and whoever enters, must pay.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.