Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 12-26-13, 08:35 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default So,what happened in '13...

...and what is planned for 2014?

We always have a thread for the dedication of the new year. This past year I got pretty dialed in with my Birds and turned to a jig a lot more than the T-rig. I did not accomplish much with the crankbaits that I sought out to do, but will make '14 a round 2.

So what's your 2014 agenda on what to try different or hone in a little better.
Old 12-26-13, 10:56 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I didn't realize it at the time but after the 2013 season was over and I started replaying my tournament finishes in my mind I noticed something that I did much better. I started trusting my instincts a lot more and sticking to them. In the past I always battled with that little voice in the back of my head that kept second guessing ever decision I made and if the bite was slow it always seemed to lead down a very destructive path. This season I fished with a lot more confidence and although that little voice never goes away, I was able to stick to my game plan and ignore the voice for the most part. I think that contributed in large part to me having a pretty strong season. I didn't really set out with this as a goal but I did focus real hard on pre-fishing and how I went about it. That resulted in much stronger practices which lead to me having more confidence in what I was doing and also it allowed me to make better adjustments when things changed.

This coming year will hopefully be more of the same. I don't have any new techniques that I am itching to learn. I just want to tweak my practice approach a little more and hopefully get in a groove early in the season. It's much easier to stay on a roll than it is to get on one.
Old 12-27-13, 12:29 AM   #3
WTL

This year I entered the hall of fame for fish-bums, managing to live an entire month in the bed of my truck, alternating between sleeping, fishing and studying for the bar in nearly equal amounts. It was glorious.

I have no personal goals at the moment. I want to teach my girlfriend how to fish, and how to enjoy outdoor locations that lack some of the niceties of modern society.
Old 12-27-13, 06:57 AM   #4
kennethdaysale

Interesting contrast between Kory and Billys post. Good illustration of T's "get in where you fit in" and "the tie that binds". I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, no desire to sleep in the bed of my truck or fish tournaments. I think I just want to see if maybe there's anyway possible to enjoy it more than I already do.............perhaps a month devoted to nothing more than #4 lb test and a month of strictly night fishing etc.............
Old 12-27-13, 11:04 AM   #5
bassboogieman

In 2014 I like to resolve the "war between the boats". After half-heartedly thinking about selling my bass boat and commit to kayak fishing only, the last couple years, I want to sell the boat... I think. It's a war between two completely different styles of fishing - big boat, big motor, fast (but expensive burning gas) and I have an ungodly amount of gear aboard vs. slow, human powered (cheap - no gas), limited storage kayak that at least provides a little exercise. Each has it's attraction and limitations, I am just having a hard time cutting loose the big, fast, EXPENSIVE boat.

My local water is electric only, and the last couple of years (since I got a kayak) my boat has seen very little use. Only for one or two trips a year, the remaining time it sits idle. Big water is an hour away, I no longer fish any tournaments so I have little reason to keep it, I just need to convince myself it's time to let it go.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-27-13 at 11:11 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 12:06 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Not too bad for #6 test in a lake chocked full of lumber.

Lake Bill Waller
Old 12-28-13, 12:56 PM   #7
joedog

Even more impressive, it was Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon line.

Heck a pan fish can snap that line.
Old 12-28-13, 07:43 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Even more impressive, it was Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon line.

Heck a pan fish can snap that line.
That's no joke. I can't believe they still make that crap.
Old 12-28-13, 07:50 PM   #9
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
That's no joke. I can't believe they still make that crap.
The reason they call it VANISH is because seconds after you hook a fish, it will vanish before your eyes.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 08:06 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
The reason they call it VANISH is because seconds after you hook a fish, it will vanish before your eyes.

-Mark
You are a marketing genius.
Old 12-28-13, 08:22 PM   #11
woody

More like anti-marketing...

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 08:30 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Now that's funny stuff! I had the vanish 17 for a little while. If you ever put a professional overcast in it and it kinked...consider your next throw cover!
Old 12-29-13, 11:36 AM   #13
keithdog

I tried that nasty Vanish once, years ago. It lasted one trip and it was gone! The 2013 fishing season was pretty much a major fail for me. A very very late fall and terrible weather conditions much of the year, massive weed kills in all our area lakes by the powers that be, also resulting in water conditions that were deplorable and fish with lock jaw all year. What fish I did catch looked very thin and sickly. But the year ended on a high note late fall when I fished a lake about 60 minutes from my home a couple times that I hadn't fished before and fell in love with. Can't wait to actually spend a year fishing that "new to me" body of water.
Old 12-29-13, 06:42 PM   #14
bassinbob

My year was pretty much a fail too. Didn't get out as much as I wanted to. My motor went kaput when I was on vacation combined with truck water pump needing replaced. The back causing me problems late in the year. Want to put that all behind me for next year. Hoping for a new or used boat or more realistically a down scan unit. Not going to go crazy on new baits or other stuff. Unless I find some incredible deals. Maybe join a local club. Also try some new to me lakes. Yep, going to be a good year.
Old 12-29-13, 11:53 PM   #15
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I had a really great start to my year and then it got pretty tough the rest of the year. I caught 2 bass over 7 pounds in Kansas in the same year for the first time ever. First was a 7.51 pound fish that slammed a Strike King Series 5 in Green Gizzard shad on January 10th.

Then of course the 7.76 that most of you know about that hit a Spro Fat John on March 7th.

I caught a new PB rainbow trout on the 21st of March on a Little Cleo with a 6.5lb fish.

I caught a new PB brown trout the first week of April on a Lucky Craft Spazz jerkbait that weight 5 1/2 pounds.

A couple days later I caught my first ever striper and a couple days after that I caught my PB on an A-rig that weighed 20.01 pounds.

I accomplished pretty much my only bass fishing goals when I caught a bass on an 8" Huddleston swimbait in Kansas.

My only goal in 2014 is to start to introduce my son to the sport that will hopefully be a big part of his life also
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 11:59 PM   #16
joedog

Looks to me like the year ended with the best keeper all year.

Crongratulations Clayton!
Old 12-30-13, 09:41 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Blue, you did rack up this year of sho and congrats on the new edition!

1 question, how did that fish get in the Hudds mouth?
Old 12-30-13, 03:07 PM   #18
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Blue, you did rack up this year of sho and congrats on the new edition!

1 question, how did that fish get in the Hudds mouth?
I had the Hudd rigged with a short piece of doubled 80lb braid an a 1/0 Gammy magic eye treble. The fish caught it on the fall and just took off with it so I'm thinking it may have knocked the hook out of the bait so it was just swinging around before I set the hook. Only way I can figure it had the bait choked with the hook outside it's mouth.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.