Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-13-06, 08:15 AM   #1
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Soft Bait Glue

I don't know how many of you have tried the soft bait glue, but I think it is great. I have a tip for anyone interested.
I use the concave base worm weights with my plastic lures. I rig the plastic on the hook to where the plastic is even with the knot of the hook. I then put a drop of fishing glue on the tip of the plastic and slide the weight down on the plastic and hold it in place for a few seconds. This serves two purposes, it pegs the weight to the plastic, and also holds the top of the lure on the hook so it don't slide down all the time. Plastic worms stay in place and last a lot longer. This really works good with plastic lures that have a lot of salt, like ZOOM vibra-tail worms.

Speaking of Vibra-tail worms, My partner and I fished the Cabelas-Ranger tournament the first weekend of this month. We were in first place saturday until the next to the last boat brought in 1/2 lb bigger stringer.
(All our fish were caught on ZOOM Vibra-Tail worms) Sunday morning when we got to our spot, there were three of the tournament boats fishing our spot. (I guess they had seen us there the day before) It started to rain, and we could not put a plan together that would work. Caught 1 fish sunday and finished the tourney in 13th place.

JackL
Old 06-14-06, 10:10 PM   #2
FlyRod

Re: Pro Soft Bait Glue.

I ordered three bottles a year+ ago. Great product, performance-wise, but NOT worth 10+ bux a bottle when compared to more common "super" glues.
Then there's the gripe that ALL such glues merit, at least IMHO. That is; no matter how you try to prevent it, the stuff is gonna dry up or hopelessly clog the spout LONG before you can use all or most of the product. That raises the "per drop" price of Pro Soft wayyyyyyyyyyyy beyond reason.
For example, the little pin that was supplied with the bottle glued itself into the spout so tightly that the round pinhead pulled off, leaving the pin itself glued into the spout.
Another glitch, common to all such products I've used over the years, is that glue will accumulate in the spout, clogging the works. If you trim the top to clear it, or somehow ream it out with some sort of pointed tool, you widen the spout, thus increasing the likelihood of a repeat.
"Well," some say,"keep the bottle vertical at all times." Yeah, right! Just try to do that when moving tackle around.
Anyway, if I ever invent the solution to these problems, I'll share the wealth! LOL!

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 06:11 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

rut row the two "old" guys goin at it.. ducks as the gerital flys..

zooker
Old 06-15-06, 09:35 PM   #4
lizardsrule

You also get the added benefit from using JackL's way if you place the drop correctly, of keeping the knot glued, which helps from the line moving around, especially to the point of the hook end meets the hook on the bend. If I don't use the glue on my knot(Braid/Fused) always seems to end up right at this point, thereby always worrying me about the line getting nicked or worn down.

Lizards
Old 06-15-06, 09:45 PM   #5
FlyRod

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
rut row the two "old" guys goin at it.. ducks as the gerital flys..

zooker
I detect neither argument nor controversy in this thread, just one brief sophomoric post...from the expected source.

FR
Old 06-16-06, 08:32 AM   #6
Jackl

ZOOKER,
There you go again, pickin' on a cripple.

JackL
Old 06-16-06, 09:13 AM   #7
JB

i guess the "other old guy" better chime in too then
so far I've used that fishin glue, worms and toads hang on better to the hook, but have also noted that I accidently glued a blade to the side of my tacklebox, along with sticking my fingers togethers, along with gluing my needlenose to the deck of the boat lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 03:20 PM   #8
Jackl

JB,
Ya jes' got to be smarter than the glue bottle!!!

JackL
Old 06-16-06, 08:58 PM   #9
zooker

well don't get your depends in a bunch.. cripple why jackl did ya slip and fall while trying to get your walker up front to work the troller ??

zooker
Old 06-16-06, 09:12 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

the soft bait glue works on other stuff also.i repaired a new vinyl replacement window that cracked at the weld.
pretty amazing stuf.yeah,it can be a little trouble with the pin(also had the head come off the pin).very hard to keep it upright all the time.not enough of a pain to keep me from using it tho.it works and it's worth it to me.
Old 06-16-06, 09:13 PM   #11
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Flyrod, I know what you mean about the $ for the buck. Your just as well buying the cheap stuff for as long as you get to use it. I love using glue for my plastics, but man it sux when you get it on your fingers. lol

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-06, 06:30 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
i guess the "other old guy" better chime in too then
so far I've used that fishin glue, worms and toads hang on better to the hook, but have also noted that I accidently glued a blade to the side of my tacklebox, along with sticking my fingers togethers, along with gluing my needlenose to the deck of the boat lol
AND TO WHOM ARE YOU SPEAKING OF????????
Old 06-17-06, 01:43 PM   #13
WTL

In addition to the soft bait glue being effective for fishing applications, its also quite tasty.
Old 06-17-06, 06:46 PM   #14
zooker

lol only you billy bob would taste it...

sophmoric ?? listen fee rash you done 1/2 the crap i have, you would have a sophmoric sense of humor too..

zooker
Old 06-17-06, 06:51 PM   #15
Rebbasser

He does, Zooker ! Guess that's why we get along so well-I do too!
Old 06-17-06, 11:06 PM   #16
Phydiox
BassFishin.Com Member

alrite children play nice! they have found an answer! they now make the fishin glue in a bottle like white out with a brush! it also has a little funnel on the inside so it dosnt spill or git too much on the brush. i got mine at west marine but i think bass pro has it too.

it you're readin this ,you aint fishin! be ye fishers of men! you catch em ,god will clean em!
Phydiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-06, 12:53 PM   #17
zooker

phydiox
already have been fishing today caught a bunch of bass it is now creeping into the 93 degree mark. now i will sit round the house drink beer in the a/c thank you..

zooker
Old 06-18-06, 03:10 PM   #18
Stick-em
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Thumbs up Father's Day ~ PRO's Soft~Bait Glue Tips!

Hey Pyydiox,

Good input but it's doesn't hold water.... lol Not trying to be a smart alleck here and those that know me or have talked to me know, I am direct as can be being German from PA where my roots are.

Did you ever think that everytime you put that brush back in the bottle you bought at that francise store with something on it like trapped air in bristles, salt, water (<=big one) or debris, it's setting the glue off to harden? Yep, it will be dried up soon enough! Hmm, we've tried the brush bottle... doesn't work and those other stores have now just taken a little bit of your money and you feel good about the small $'s thinking the brush, Ah will work better. They've figured out how to get more of your money because most brushes are around $3.49 a bottle. It's your money again and if you do the math we'll win in the long run if guy's will just read the dang directions. If any of you have been using our product properly, you feel and not having any luck with it, it's because you don't know how to use and store it we've found out by asking even the Pro's at Tournaments and Classics etc. Once we ask them if they've read the instructions, they get it down to using it properly and they can't believe how much they been fighting using it because they THINK it's like other products. NOT at All like like your little Sisters kindergarten glue or your famous dry up tomorrow brand.

Over the counter brands will not hold for more than a few minutes while fishing and less if you get bit. They're acidic based and eat all lines. Ours will not eat lines and your pocket book either.
The glue in stores are solubable in water and ours isn't, meaning, ours will not come apart or slide off your hooks all day long unless unless you catch Big Walter or some other toothey fish monsters.... Sorry, it's a chemical and we have developed it for you after testing others to find out why they don't work.

Ask someone like Zooker or Rebbasser to stop purchasing our products and see how they react and reply. Ask Zooker if he can fish with a bag of his favorites baits all day and how much he is $aving all year long and not to forget sneaker repairs, cork and synthetic grips on rods, boat carpet, center hubs on Bass boat steering wheels, fish finder knobs, glove box latches on Aluminum or fiberglass gels and has 100 % knot strength on all lines? Bottom line, they can keep the baits on the hook so he doesn't lose those expensive soft baits and can catch more fish because his presentation is always right there on the hook where he wants to keep them. How much money did that save on those sneakers is just one example and what about that antique rod with the cork handle that is starting to come apart on your Grandmothers Wright McGill rod she gave me or the steel lip on that old old old Creek Chub Pikie (collectable) that was your Grandfathers and the list goes on so learn from me or others how to use it and you'll be smiling and saving on many bags of baits this summer.

I am always open for answering questions here and not in here much and this isn't meant to step on toes but to help some that really, don't know how to use our products. Then again, we're not for everyone like any products.

Have a Great Fathers Day to all!

Mike Rice
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue!

[quote=Phydiox]alrite children play nice! they have found an answer! they now make the fishin glue in a bottle like white out with a brush! it also has a little funnel on the inside so it dosnt spill or git too much on the brush. i got mine at west marine but i think bass pro has it too.

NOTE: We still sell a portable brush bottle on our site because we've been asked to by fisherman. Mostly finesse, fly tyers, and pan fisherman. They love it and we also send a printed note telling them it won't last long once they've transferred from orig bottle to that one and they put the brush in and out of the bottle quite a few times.
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-06, 07:21 PM   #19
zooker

stick em is right i do use his stuff alot..you notice i never jabed his stuff it works better than ANY THING else i tried.. the only problem is i can never find the blasted bottle when i need it. gee maybe that is why i have a dozen bottles floating around.
oh yeah stickem works great on teddy bear repairs-my nieces- eyes kept coming off they don't now...

lmao@carpy now dat is some funny right der..
zooker
Old 06-18-06, 07:37 PM   #20
JB

carpman you too? man I don't feel so dumb now...seriously tho I like that
glue and wish I had used to before now, my number one reason is to hold the plastic on the hook, I've also glued some horny toads back together with the glue
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 08:11 AM   #21
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
carpman you too? man I don't feel so dumb now...seriously tho I like that
glue and wish I had used to before now, my number one reason is to hold the plastic on the hook, I've also glued some horny toads back together with the glue
Please note that I've never stated the the product doesn't work as advertised..it does. It's just that I've had some negative experiences with it and simply stated such, in detail. IF the new bottle alleviates the difficulties I experienced then I'm going to bop over to our local West Marine and try it again.

I use such glues mostly for strengthening my braid-to-fluoro leader "J-Knot", not as a worm repair item. For that purpose both Pro Soft and others work well, as does a special knot glue made for fly fisherman. The latter product remains sorta soft and thus does not impact the guides so hard on "take-off". However, and this is kinda weird, it won't dry quickly unless exposed to sunlight. I glued some J-Knots on several rigs one night and it took a few days for the stuff to harden sufficiently to use. It stayed cloudy for three days! Luckily, we got some sun the day before I used the rigs and I toted all five rigs outdoors to "tan" until the stuff finally set up.

BTW, I had had the genuine pleasure of a lengthy chat with Mike when I ordered the product. He's a man of conviction who has a good and unique product, markets it honestly, and is a hoot to shoot the breeze with on a variety of topics.

FR
Old 06-19-06, 11:02 AM   #22
Stick-em

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod
Please note that I've never stated the the product doesn't work as advertised..it does. It's just that I've had some negative experiences with it and simply stated such, in detail. IF the new bottle alleviates the difficulties I experienced then I'm going to bop over to our local West Marine and try it again. = Flyrod, we don't stock in West Marine as of yet so you can't get it there and maybe we have a store in your local area.

For that purpose both Pro Soft and others work well, as does a special knot glue made for fly fisherman. The latter product remains sorta soft and thus does not impact the guides so hard on "take-off". However, and this is kinda weird, it won't dry quickly unless exposed to sunlight.
BTW, I had had the genuine pleasure of a lengthy chat with Mike when I ordered the product. He's a man of conviction who has a good and unique product, markets it honestly, and is a hoot to shoot the breeze with on a variety of topics. = It sounds like the fly fishing industry is marketing what we call a UV product that cures in the sun and it is, slow to cure espeically when you need to fish NOW.

Try this one Flyrod... Coat your knots and leader connections with PSBGlue. Let it dry and won't take more than 20 min indoors near 70 deg F. When you cannot smell it, it's ready for recoat. Warmer the better. Recoat it again and you can recoat it again and again and will stay soft and pliable when cured. Your knots will glide through the guide eyes with ease. This is a tip from Joe Capp, Fly fishing instructor and National Pro Staff for St. Croix Rods and uses it on foam for tying too. I happen to have some lit on him he's sent me if your interested, write me and I'll send it to you or his email address. He doens't mind at all. NOTE: PRO's Soft doesn't eat or melt the foam...

FR

Thanks for the volley. Emails can be interpreted many different ways but one things for sure..... We all like to fish!!!

Great Fishing and stay cool!

Stick~em
Old 06-19-06, 08:38 PM   #23
zooker

stickem "fire in the hole"

zooker
Old 06-20-06, 12:42 PM   #24
Stick-em

Zooker, Where where where?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
stickem "fire in the hole"

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.