Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-28-06, 07:55 AM   #26
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

PNJ

I'll tell ya why I have faith in the shimano reels. SO FAR and that means that today on the lake they might fall apart. For a 4 bearing reel they have withstood hoosets that will rock a 20ft boat and still are as smooth as the first day that I bought them. I mainly fish the cardiff 100 and 200 reels with the exception of the 1 castaic for pitchin. They have now lasted 3 seasons with only a yearly cleaning and a dose of reel magic about every three times out. The anti-reverse not working accordinly if over lubed I was not aware of. Thats good input that I have needed to know. So far I havent had any problems with it not working and I have been fishing when the normal person goes home. # days last week it poured so hard I literally had to leave the bilge pumps running several times to keep the water at least bellow the deck. I used to be a diehard abu man till they made the eon and though they where going down the chit tube but they did rebound.
Old 03-28-06, 03:26 PM   #27
Skeeter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd also like to throw a plug for the Cabelas Prodigy line. Very good reel for the price. & ball bearings, love the flippin switch too. I can't compare it to the BPS line since I've never used one but I can compare it to the Curado. Although the Curado is a smoother smoother reel (not much though), for the price, the Prodigy is an excellant mid-range reel. Last I saw they were about $70 bucks.

Skeeter
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 04:36 PM   #28
pig n jig

Skeeter, You Cabelas Prodigy reel was made by Pinnacle reels. I have a Pinnacle tetra, that is the same reel as the prodigy except for the name. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 08:49 PM   #29
bass kicker

hey laser if you try the new abu garcia record you will be an abu man again

greatest reel i have ever casted with
Old 03-29-06, 12:31 AM   #30
bassboogieman

To respond to your inquiry: the original question was - what is the best flippin/pitchin reel, and in my opinion it's the Shimano Scorpion Quickfire - hands down. It's the perfect reel, for that application, again in my opinion. No other reel (other than the US version Castaic) has a similiar thumb-bar to engage the reel, it's made for this application. It IS NOT the best reel for casting cranks, spinnerbaits, etc, because it does not do well at casting for distance, but excells at short distances involved in flippin/pitchin applications. And as to bearing count, be carefull, quality vs. quantity of the bearing is a big deal. More is not always better, just because the count is higher. Pflueger has bearings in the handle paddles, increasing the count, but does it really affect the reels performace? Maybe marginally, (it doesn't affect castability) but not significantly. As to the BEST all around reel for the money, I agree with you that the Pflueger President is a fine choice, I have 5 of them myself. Better yet is the new Pflueger Supreme, I just got 2 of them, and with the magnetic brake adjustment this reel is superior to the President as it is much easier to tune, especially with lighter baits. Hope that explains why I said what I said.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-29-06 at 12:42 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 11:48 AM   #31
Bass Ackwards

I have to agree with you on the bearing count I been using the Pflueger President and it works great for long casting cranks or other baits with a little bit of weight but suffered on short casts or weightless baits. This was driving me crazy.

I've picked up the Castaic and we will see how it goes, the best thing about it is if I do not like it I can get most of my cash back if I were to resale.

One notable difference is that the Pflueger reels in much smoother but I'll have to reevaluate once I break the bearings in.
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 11:52 AM   #32
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Keep in mind that on all baitcasters you need to fine tune your line drop and brakes each time you put on a dif. weighted lure, for the optimum amount of casting distance.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 02:14 PM   #33
Joe_S.

Not going to get in the heated debate, But just becuase something has more bearings don't mean it's better if there junk bearings so buyer beware.
That being said the reel should be fine for what you want to use it for, I personally would look at a different action rod for flipping and pitching, at least a medium heavy,
I have two different set ups for each, a 7'1" Loomis BCR854 Heavy action matched with a Shimano Scorpion MG 1000 for pitching and most jig fishing applications, for the really nasty stuff which I'm rarely faced with I have a bps extreme 7'6" hvy rod and what ever reel I slap on it.

Last edited by Joe_S.; 03-29-06 at 02:20 PM.
Joe_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 05:31 PM   #34
pig n jig

BassBoogieman, Pflueger president was used in reference to the same exact price as the Castaic.The reason the Scorpion is as good as you mentioned is because of the type of bearing they install in them, not your ordinary run of the mill shimano bearing, they're upgraded, which the price difference reflects that.Your paying the cost, Shimano isn't cutting you a deal, they are just upgrading components to cover the marketing of all pay scale levels of potential buyers.I will say this is the first time I had people answer why they like Shimano reels with common sense instead of just saying they're the best, or Shimano's are great reels.You know you can take any reel brand and upgrade the bearings in them to have the same type bearing as the scorpions providing the company makes that type of bearing in the size needed ? Actually the Pfluegers have a double sheilded stainless steel bearing in them, they should last a long time with proper care taken.I will borrow my friends Scorpions for a week and stay open minded to see If they flip as good as a Daiwa magnetic systems do. You know we are talking out of this persons price range with a Scorpion reel ?Maybe he ought to look into bearing upgrades, and buy a midline Shimano with the same amount of bearings as the Scorpion and see if the price is any different ? P N J
Old 03-29-06, 06:09 PM   #35
pig n jig

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTG...-Reel-Bearings
Old 03-29-06, 07:25 PM   #36
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use a lefty pfluguer trion and a right handed quatum 441 flippin reel with the flippin switch-i don't use it- i would like to replace the 441 reel with an quatum energy..

zooker
Old 03-30-06, 11:07 AM   #37
Bass Ackwards

does anyone know the ABEC rating on the Scorpion bearings? The only reason I went with the US Castaic is that the I really did not see much difference in the 2006 model but I neglected to see if I could find actual Bearing information.

One thing I did notice about the other bearing sets is that they were not even ABEC rated which is normally a bad sign when it comes to bearings unless they are Swiss which are untouchable in quality.
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.