Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-06, 08:39 PM   #1
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Unbiased endorsement of Shimano

I have always been a Daiwa guy. Mostly because I'm seriously into watches and Daiwa is owned by Seiko. They make one hell of an automatic watch movement so I figured reels have to be engineered well. However I just fished a friends Curado..I don't know the model number off hand but it was the 200.00 one with the 7-1 ratio. Holy s@#t, that was the most balanced feeling reel I have ever operated. For a six bearing reel the smoothness was incredible. By far the best reel I have ever used. EVER. I was comparing it to my Daiwa Capricorn 110, which has nine bearings and one roller so it's no slouch of a reel at 160.00. The Shimano just "felt" right. I don't know how else to describe it, but I would highly recommend anyone who is looking for a higher end reel to get it without delay. And to those who already own one....... I'm envious.
Old 06-21-06, 09:11 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yep the reel will make a good tail race weight but truly useless for any lenth of time.. but it is YOUR money waste it how ever you want to..

zooker
Old 06-22-06, 01:51 AM   #3
m cress

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
yep the reel will make a good tail race weight but truly useless for any lenth of time.. but it is YOUR money waste it how ever you want to..

zooker
What the hell are you talking about? If you are going to take the time to espouse on how I can waste my money any way I want to, Then be the helpful "pro" angler and tell me why I should not like this reel and buy something else. I don't own one Shimano product, nor will I purchase this reel for myself. I have plenty of fine Daiwa's. I was suggesting it to other people because I thought it performed flawlessly. If you are trying to embarass me or something on this board you have a lot of work to do.
Old 06-22-06, 06:43 AM   #4
JB

I think most lines of reels (manufacturer name) has a high end reel out there, and shimano has many to pick from, I own a citica and curado and have had no problems at all, however they are alot older than the 2006 models....even diawa has some top end reels that are just as good..
You'll discover on any fishing forums opinions on brands
Old 06-22-06, 09:37 AM   #5
m cress

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I think most lines of reels (manufacturer name) has a high end reel out there, and shimano has many to pick from, I own a citica and curado and have had no problems at all, however they are alot older than the 2006 models....even diawa has some top end reels that are just as good..
You'll discover on any fishing forums opinions on brands
Agreed, JB. Users opinions of reels are a subjective thing. I don't own any Shimano reels. I was simply stating that I was really impressed with the performance of the Curado. It was not mine and I have not nor am I going to purchase one. I thought it would be helpful for someone who does not shill or swear by a brand to give that particular brand an excellent review. I am aware also that Daiwa makes high end reels. I own two of them. I'm no kid, I've been throwing baitcast reels since probably 95 and I don't think it was appropriate for Zooker to attack me on my opinion. Inform me WHY I would be wasting my money if you have that kind of knowledge and expertese at your disposal. Don't just reply "it's your money,waste it how you want" I'm new here and I'm sure there are all kinds of cliques on this board. If I have offended someone with a Shimano review I apologize. However I will not be dismissed as someone who is so lacking in experience with bc reels that I am just "throwing my money away".
Old 06-22-06, 01:11 PM   #6
zooker

shimano reels have 75% more plastic parts inside than ANY OTHER reel on the market today. they may be nice for a year or so but will go to hell after that.. they are a WASTE of money..

you will know it if i attack you....

zooker
Old 06-22-06, 01:43 PM   #7
JB

I guess I lucked out in the 90's I spent about 1300 on 5 new reels, and they all have had no problem. I imagine I got metal parts inside instead of the plastic components..I don't baby my equipment, but do make sure the are cleaned and lubed and stored away within reason.
You're going to find just as many on this forum that swear by one brand and then just as many that swear against them
Old 06-22-06, 02:54 PM   #8
youngbassman77

Quote:
shimano reels have 75% more plastic parts inside than ANY OTHER reel on the market today. they may be nice for a year or so but will go to hell after that.. they are a WASTE of money..

zooker
Really? Interesting... I've had all my shimano reels (spinning and casting) for way over "a year or so" now... And they all still work like new and I believe they will be in my fishing arsenal for quite some time. No money WASTED here...!!!
Old 06-22-06, 05:10 PM   #9
m cress

Quote:

zooker
There you go Zooker, now you are providing information along with your opinion. I guess it's a good thing I use all metal frame Diawas. Looking forward to being attacked by you. Message board know it alls and e-thugs do not scare me. Thanks for the plastic ratio info on Shimano. Please let us all know what you use so I can immediateley act appropriately.I hope it's Diawa so I don't have to throw away my reels based on your recommendation
Old 06-22-06, 05:16 PM   #10
Fishing4Soup

My dad's had his shimano for almost 15 years and he still uses it. It may be a little outdated but it still seems to work fine..
Old 06-22-06, 06:38 PM   #11
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs down

Yep, the NEW "Rado" is slick alright. It's also OBESE and ridiculously priced at the current MSRP. Weight is your ENEMY!
Once again, someone fixed something that wasn't broken.

FR
Hoarding 200BSFs and Castaics. Buying Daiwas.
Old 06-22-06, 07:19 PM   #12
officerhoyt

Quote:

zooker
Thats not true my dad and uncle have had there curados for 9 plus years, and they still work great. I have had my for about a year and a half and it still works like it is brand new.
Old 06-22-06, 08:13 PM   #13
Raul

My twelve year old Curado, his middle 6 year old brother and their 2 year lil brother are saying that they still have many years ahead.
Old 06-22-06, 08:45 PM   #14
youngbassman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
My twelve year old Curado, his middle 6 year old brother and their 2 year lil brother are saying that they still have many years ahead.
My Curado and his siblings feel the same way.

~YBM
Old 06-22-06, 08:54 PM   #15
m cress

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod
Yep, the NEW "Rado" is slick alright. It's also OBESE and ridiculously priced at the current MSRP. Weight is your ENEMY!
Once again, someone fixed something that wasn't broken.

FR
Hoarding 200BSFs and Castaics. Buying Daiwas.
You are right FLYROD. I failed to mention that the Curado is HUGE! I have big hands and maybe thats why it felt "right" to me. I should have mentioned that. The two reels that I use most often are a SOL and CAPRICORN, and that reel is almost twice their size.
Old 06-22-06, 09:23 PM   #16
pig n jig

If you owned a real Daiwa , instead of their mid line capricorny reel, you would not be so impressed with ****mano's.I was going to say what the hell are you talking about,but then again everyone is entitled to their opinion.Here's mine. They are overpriced peices of chit,built with weak @ssed components that fail.They had to reintroduce the old anti reverse dog system from the early anti reverse days to fortify their overpriced , but obviously flawed super stopper roller bearing system.The gears are thinner than most mid priced brand reels, and to be honest, I am amazed the peices of crap hold up as well as they seem to.If I had more money than brains,I still would rather be kicked in the B@lls by a horse and have to spend my money on a hospital bills, rather than buy a overpriced Shimano reel with the money. Yes I have owned the peices of crap paid way too much for the time they lasted.If you have a Shimano for over 5 years and its still works like new.Try fishing with it more often, they will come undone.I have no doubt, I could kill any Shimano just fishing my jigs with heavy braid within Two seasons of use.Been there, done that to 2 Shimano Castaics, owning them at the same time, they were broken in 2 seasons of fishing.They suck. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 06-22-06 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 09:51 PM   #17
pig n jig

Whew, I am glad I am biased.I do have 2 friends here at the site who own Shimano's. I would rather they be Heroin addicts , or something , but we all have out liitle minor flaws and quirks.You really f'd up and stepped on my biggest quirks right here. It would not bother me if PETA extremist burns the Shimano factory to the ground.It will be one small victory for PETA, one huge victory for the common fishermen who have been getting ripped off by buying over priced Shimano products.If I had a choice of owning a Shimano reel, or having my mother in law work in a *****house ....Well Dear old mom in law, don't take it personally, but someone is going to get the shaft on this deal, Sorry, your it .....I would rather hire Mexican immigrants to mow my lawn than to have to buy a Shimano reel with the money.We all know just how wrong that is to think that way, but that is the way I feel. Its like they're comparable to buying condoms, they are overpriced for the product your buying. Disposable, much like a Shimano reel. You definately ain't getting near the product per price you have to pay for them,or shall we say the best bang for your buck. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 06-22-06 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 10:43 PM   #18
HulaPopr

Quote:

zooker
Yer darn right. I've owned a few shimanos, and my friends got a 2 yr old curado thats not half as good as my 2yr old extreme. You have to clean shimano spinning reels constantly to keep them running, just a little sand will shred up the plastic insides. I've had two pretty expensive shimano spinners, After about a year of heavy use, the insides were worn out, didn't reel smoothly at all, and the drag as well as a few other things got all messed up. Cracked it open to try and fix it there was one metal piece. I'm becoming a pfleuger man myself, they've got the best reels for te price IMO, daiwa and a few other brands ain't bad either.
Old 06-22-06, 11:03 PM   #19
zooker

pooper
as of late 3 new diawa's advantages and 3 pflughers trions are finding there way on to my rods. quatums are still good as ever.i don't think i will completely give up my quatum energy pt reels.

zooker
Old 06-22-06, 11:19 PM   #20
m cress

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Whew, I am glad I am biased.I do have 2 friends here at the site who own Shimano's. I would rather they be Heroin addicts , or something , but we all have out liitle minor flaws and quirks.You really f'd up and stepped on my biggest quirks right here. It would not bother me if PETA extremist burns the Shimano factory to the ground.It will be one small victory for PETA, one huge victory for the common fishermen who have been getting ripped off by buying over priced Shimano products.If I had a choice of owning a Shimano reel, or having my mother in law work in a *****house ....Well Dear old mom in law, don't take it personally, but someone is going to get the shaft on this deal, Sorry, your it .....I would rather hire Mexican immigrants to mow my lawn than to have to buy a Shimano reel with the money.We all know just how wrong that is to think that way, but that is the way I feel. Its like they're comparable to buying condoms, they are overpriced for the product your buying. Disposable, much like a Shimano reel. You definately ain't getting near the product per price you have to pay for them,or shall we say the best bang for your buck. P N J
LOL. That was certainly an opinionated post and you are entitled to it. "I fuct up and stepped on one of your biggest quirks?" Sorry, maybe next time I won't mess up and make pnj mad Your posts are if nothing else entertaining. Do you feel like a bigger, stronger, smarter person by calling my Daiwa reel capricorny? What is wrong with you? I see that you and Zooker must be the silverback alpha males of this board and think that you are "runnin" some website in cyberspace and people should somehow be intimidated by you from behind a moniter? That is pretty sad. Go back and read my posts. Have I disrespected anyones choice of fishing equipment? Have I gone on an almost incoherent rant about a baitcast reel? It may be your way of trying to help people from buying a particular product that you don't think is of good quality and that is commendable. But don't you think it would be better to just state what you think is wrong with the product instead of throwing in analogies about peta bombs, lawn mowing mexicans, and ***** houses? I hope you are big and strong and a super tough guy, cause you sure don't appear very intelligent.
Old 06-22-06, 11:23 PM   #21
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

Okay, that's it. At 3:00 today, after the final bell rings, you guys are going to meet up in the parking lot and we're going to settle this once and for all. Wait, maybe we should all meet up at the closest lake and see if we can't all come to some type of agreement over a 6 pack of garlic scented sweet beavers.
Old 06-22-06, 11:32 PM   #22
KCinAustin
BassFishin.Com Member

I've heard a good response with the Curado as well and Shimano is releasing the Curado D series as well which I heard is even better as far as durability. A website I found does a complete breakdown on different reels, spinning and baitcasting, both in the shop for all of the components, durability, how it works on the water and most importantly cost. One of the top choices I saw was for the new Shimano Citica D which has a bigger profile and is a little heavier, but Shimano has gotten rid of alot of the plastic parts adding to the additional weight.
Old 06-23-06, 03:08 AM   #23
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by m cress
LOL. That was certainly an opinionated post and you are entitled to it. "I fuct up and stepped on one of your biggest quirks?" Sorry, maybe next time I won't mess up and make pnj mad Your posts are if nothing else entertaining. Do you feel like a bigger, stronger, smarter person by calling my Daiwa reel capricorny? What is wrong with you? I see that you and Zooker must be the silverback alpha males of this board and think that you are "runnin" some website in cyberspace and people should somehow be intimidated by you from behind a moniter? That is pretty sad. Go back and read my posts. Have I disrespected anyones choice of fishing equipment? Have I gone on an almost incoherent rant about a baitcast reel? It may be your way of trying to help people from buying a particular product that you don't think is of good quality and that is commendable. But don't you think it would be better to just state what you think is wrong with the product instead of throwing in analogies about peta bombs, lawn mowing mexicans, and ***** houses? I hope you are big and strong and a super tough guy, cause you sure don't appear very intelligent.
I hate to be the one to tell you that your not very intelligent either.The jury is obviously still out on whether your the most ignorant person I have met here as of yet.If your not, your running neck and neck with the winner. Now that I have made you angry, back up the post before the one you quoted.The post you quoted is something I posted merely for entertainment purposes.In the first post, I explained why Shimano is not worth the money.If you are confused, as I figure you might very well be.Stop trying to make such a big debate out of a stupid post that shouldn't have required the time to post a response to it in the first place.You haven't disrespected anyones choice,it wasn't ever about ones choice at all. You were trying to start something , by posting a bunch of crap.Congratulations, with a little help from me, you acheived your goal.Next time you are wanting to be as smart as you can be, slide your wallet aside, when your talking out your @ss.Daiwa is one of the many good reels on the market, although they are pricey, your not getting just the name when you pay the high dollar for their product.If I thought you had a clue as to what you thought you knew, I could explain that your full of sh!t on the beraings as well, but I've got other things to do, than spend my time so foolishly with you.I will save it for someone wanting to learn , not just trying to cause a big thread war over the internet.Tough Guy.Roflmao........ P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 06-23-06 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-23-06, 03:37 AM   #24
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinAustin
I've heard a good response with the Curado as well and Shimano is releasing the Curado D series as well which I heard is even better as far as durability. A website I found does a complete breakdown on different reels, spinning and baitcasting, both in the shop for all of the components, durability, how it works on the water and most importantly cost. One of the top choices I saw was for the new Shimano Citica D which has a bigger profile and is a little heavier, but Shimano has gotten rid of alot of the plastic parts adding to the additional weight.
KC, Your correct, Shimano is making good changes.They had a big seller, but chose to gamble and change their best selling product again. The kept the same name to a whole different reel with a much inflated price tag, same as the Citica reel, they were made years ago, but dicontinued, now the name brought back to stir the hearts of the old Shimano die hards.I think it will really hurt them in the long run, but maybe they figured they couldn't move the old green reliable Curado reels any more.I remember when the Curado was red in color, flawless in function.Their popularity finally slowly died out, Shimano rejuvenated it by changing the color to green, same great reel, just more money to own one.Do not be offended by my stupid posts above.Its my civic duty to bash Shimano and anyone who doesn't know what he is talking about when trying to type his theory, being one brand far better than another, when thats simply not the case at all.P N J
Old 06-23-06, 07:37 AM   #25
JB

I’m sure you’ve seen the shimano and other brand reel ads. You get average-looking, out-of-shape, twenty-something guys made to look, well, dumb. It’s as if the title characters in the movie, “Dumb and Dumber” are the new role models for young men. Heaven help us!
Some examples:
2 guys try to install an air conditioning unit. They’re too stupid to open the window first.
2 guys talking about using 50% instead of 110%...sounds like daddy-O huh
2 guys have a conversation about Kit Kat. Their combined IQ is about 50.
2 guys: 1 holds upside-down slurpies or something in a cup over the other guy’s head interspersed with making weird noises.
A phalanx of young men, march through a residential neighbourhood, creating such a stir that they leave chaos in their wake, all the while singing and chanting, "Beer, beer, beer, beer. Beer, beer, beer, beer."
Fat guy hauls in an old hockey arena organ. He and his friends have a party, surrounded by beautiful women. The fat guy plays the organ while ogling the cleavage of a blonde holding the sheet music.
Blonde cocktail waitress walks by and is knocked down by a couple of guys playing tether-ball in the middle of the bar.
There is a frat-boy mentality at work here that’s rather disturbing.
(As an aside, why is it okay for guys to be average-looking in commercials, but women in the same ad have to be beautiful? But I digress. That’s a whole other rant.)
I read a comment by a social scientist of some sort who stated that this trend in advertising is a form of “reel-bashing”. He contends that if Mexicans were portrayed in this way, there would be an incredible outcry. Well, he’s right. mexicools would be upset - mainly because it would, more than likely, have been males that made the marketing decisions to run those ads. Let’s face it, even today, the people who make those kinds of decisions are still mostly owners of high priced reels. In addition, and I may be generalizing here, but not many shimano owners I know would want to portray themselves in ads as being idiots. Okay, so given that these ads were most likely given the go-ahead by fishermen, how can it be construed as shimano-bashing? Do men really see themselves as stupid and sophomoric?
The marketing and advertising people must think so. Otherwise why else would they run the ads? Their job is to target a particular demographic and sell a product. The only thing they worry about is the bottom line. They’re not in the business of male-bashing out of spite. Somewhere, somehow, their researchers told them that these ads would sell product. If they didn’t work or if men took offence to the ads, they’d be pulled. It’s hard for me to envisage a bunch of suits in a boardroom saying, “Yeah, let’s go with that! The 2 guys talking about Kit Kat. They sound really, really dumb! Great, just what we’re looking for! The guys’ll love it!” But obviously, that’s what is happening.
So far, I haven’t heard a great hue and cry by young men complaining about their portrayal. This leads me to believe that they agree with the message of the commercials. If ya have the money to buy a shimano, then buy one…..
Closed Thread

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.