Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-26-04, 04:20 PM   #1
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default need advice on some N. Bama lakes please

I have signed up with a boater for the N.Bama BASS Weekend series tournaments. The first one is on Guntersville in March. The others are on Weiss, and Wheeler. I have never fished these lakes, or even seen these lakes. My boater has givin me quite a bit of info, but anything you guys can tell me will hwelp. I hate to ask, but just plain need to know.

Avg. Depth and clarity,
Seasonal patterns(avg)
Which species is most abundnat, LM, SM, KY/Spot
Structure and cover.

Thanks,

Maybe i can bring home the money with yalls help.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 10:55 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: need advice on some N. Bama lakes please

Guntersville - The depth can vary greatly from shallow flats to 50 ft plus water in some areas. Guntersville is loaded with hydrilla and some pads. Largemouth are by far the most abundant, but there are spots and smallies in limited supply. Seasonal patterns - I have no clue for the dead of winter, but by march rattle traps around emerging grass (hyrdrilla, milfoil) is a good one. Later in the year, say by july and august rats and scum frogs come into play. In fact, rats were invented for guntersville by a fellow from Huntsville who sadly passed away very recently.

Wheeler - Can be divided into really 3 lakes because it varies greatly.

From G'ville dam till close to decatur it is a riverine reservoir that has very little in the way of creeks. Largemouth and spots dominate here and there is a lot of fishing done around laydowns and there are some large rock bluffs. Current also plays a big factor because the river isn't very wide and you are still close to the dam.

From Decatur to near Browns ferry nuclear plant the area is called the "decatur flats". I don't fish here, but I know about it - lots of flats, stumps, grass - lots of tournaments are won here. Largemouth, some spots and occasional smallmouth can be caught in this area.

From Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant to Wheeler dam the reservoir gets deeper and wider. This is where Bama's best smallmouth fishing starts. The one time world record smallmouth came from this area. I concentrate more on the creeks and tributaries here - Spring creek, 1rst and Second Creeks and most importantly the Elk River. The Elk is a pretty large tributary and it fishes much like lower wheeler, not too much grass, lots of laydowns and stickups. Rattle traps, spinnerbaits, flukes - take your pick. There are some nice bluffs and rock walls on the main lake, on the south side from the paper mill to near the wheeler state park cabins there is some good chunk rock and smallmouth habitat. I also like the point on the west side of the mouth of first creek.

I don't fish Weiss, its a crappie lake - no smallmouth - can be muddy thats about all I know.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 11:45 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

talk to larry. http://www.alabamalakes.com he's a guide on those particular lakes up there.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 10:36 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=WTL link=board=news;num=1104088845;start=0#1 date=12/26/04 at 20:55:26]Guntersville - The depth can vary greatly from shallow flats to 50 ft plus water in some areas. Guntersville is loaded with hydrilla and some pads. Largemouth are by far the most abundant, but there are spots and smallies in limited supply. Seasonal patterns - I have no clue for the dead of winter, but by march rattle traps around emerging grass (hyrdrilla, milfoil) is a good one. Later in the year, say by july and august rats and scum frogs come into play. In fact, rats were invented for guntersville by a fellow from Huntsville who sadly passed away very recently.

Wheeler - Can be divided into really 3 lakes because it varies greatly.

From G'ville dam till close to decatur it is a riverine reservoir that has very little in the way of creeks. Largemouth and spots dominate here and there is a lot of fishing done around laydowns and there are some large rock bluffs. Current also plays a big factor because the river isn't very wide and you are still close to the dam.

From Decatur to near Browns ferry nuclear plant the area is called the "decatur flats". I don't fish here, but I know about it - lots of flats, stumps, grass - lots of tournaments are won here. Largemouth, some spots and occasional smallmouth can be caught in this area.

From Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant to Wheeler dam the reservoir gets deeper and wider. This is where Bama's best smallmouth fishing starts. The one time world record smallmouth came from this area. I concentrate more on the creeks and tributaries here - Spring creek, 1rst and Second Creeks and most importantly the Elk River. The Elk is a pretty large tributary and it fishes much like lower wheeler, not too much grass, lots of laydowns and stickups. Rattle traps, spinnerbaits, flukes - take your pick. There are some nice bluffs and rock walls on the main lake, on the south side from the paper mill to near the wheeler state park cabins there is some good chunk rock and smallmouth habitat. I also like the point on the west side of the mouth of first creek.

I don't fish Weiss, its a crappie lake - no smallmouth - can be muddy thats about all I know. [/quote]

WTL,

This epitomizes what this site should be 8) 8) 8) Helping out when you can, and how you can. It obviouslly took some thought and time to type out the response, and I appreciate all of the times you have tried, and succeeded in helping me. Thanks for your help on all the things you do. Even if your going to school for POLITICS

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 10:06 PM   #5
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Thanks for the help guys.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 02:45 PM   #6
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance

Give me a call before you go or now for that matter. I will help all I can

Larry Rosser 205-640-3159 Also have some maps
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 02:47 PM   #7
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Quote:
Even if your going to school for POLITICS
Thats funny lizards, I was under the impression I was going to school for booze and broads. But you are right, it sounds better (more PC) to say I am studying politics.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.