Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-29-04, 11:56 PM   #1
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UtahBass
Default Line: flouro vs. green

All my life I've used flourescent line (usually Stren), but I recently changed to a green line.

Man, it's much harder to see that stuff, especially in low-light conditions.

Do you guys think the trade-off between the stealth of green line vs the ability to see strikes on flouro line is worth it?

Thanks.....

UtahBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 11:23 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Line: flouro vs. green

OK I know lots of folks disagree with me here, but I'll say it anyway The line color or visibility has nothing to do with catching fish IMO. I've used Fused and Braided line too much and caught tons of fish with both. A fish doesn't have rational thinking. If line is a problem then why wouldn't crankbaits or spinnerbaits be a problem since the have Hooks dangling from them ??? A bass can't make the association of the line to the bait. And if it can why would it think it's a problem, they hang out under spiderwebs and attack spiders all the time. So IMO use whatever line YOU like. The only thing line has to do with catching fish, is it's strength, floatability, abrasion resistance and flexibility. For example I prefer 12lb mono(Trilene XL or Stren) on topwater baits due to the flexibility and floatation ability, but use Fused line(Fireline) for all my plastics, because of it's non floating thinner diameter, which allows for less resistance for weightless plastics. But is very strong and tough for the cover I fish.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 11:38 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I switched to green from flourescent several years ago, and once I got used to it seeing it was not much of a problem. Does it make a difference? Maybe in gin clear water, but otherwise I think it is more a matter of confidence. I know I have more confidence using green mono.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 10:02 PM   #4
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

I've used trilene XL in the clear/blue for years.I have tried the p-lines and other more expensive lines and have seen no improvement in my catch ratio..........Oh,another thing.I bought some yo-zuri hybrid line.It was in 10 or 12 lbs test...I should spool my weed wacker with this junk......I could swear the stuff is oval,if your roll the line between your fingers.It feels oval.........and the line memory was unreal,even reel majic could'nt calm it down................
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 02:12 PM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I've used both. It don't make any difference. A fish has no idea what fishing line is. Period. They ain't that smart. The reason light line draws more strikes has nothing to do with the fish seeing it. It has to do with less resistance to the water, so the bait moves more natrually and works deeper.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 05:59 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I agree that it doesn't matter.I use braided line that turns white, and I still catch fish. I think there is so many different things where the fish are that they could not identify line from grass or anything else on the bottom of the lake.I would use the flourescent line if it helps you detect strikes. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 06:03 PM   #7
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Flippin 4it, I like oval line, especially for flipping. it unspools easier when flippin & it doesn't dig way in the spool on a hookset.I never looked at the line but now I will. Thanks, P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 07:53 PM   #8
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I agree with P-N-J and lizards on this one. I've used braided line in gin clear water and I haven't noticed any difference in the number of fish being caught. I don't think its really an issue.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.