Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-02-05, 01:48 PM   #1
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl
Default To use or not to use?

This is the question....I have fishing buddies that see no reason to use an attractant on soft plastics or a jig.I alweays use a little,I figure if this gets the bass to hold on to it longer or take it more agressively,It can only help.......So bass wizards,whats your take.......?
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 02:03 PM   #2
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Re: To use or not to use?

Use it, and use it often. I swear by the stuff. But trust me, all are not created equal.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 02:04 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I never throw a jig ot soft plastic without scent added. If anything it masks scent that may keep them from grabbing the lure and may make them hold on to the bait longer.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 02:41 PM   #4
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

What is your brand and flavor of choice? I have had really good results with "Jacks Juice",in craw or lizard.
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 02:48 PM   #5
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

What would you rather do ?

Pick up a woman who is smelly and wears no perfume,Or go after the one who smells like Chanel #5?

I think this would apply to fishing . Fish get turned on by the hot juice they can't resist. Also it will mask any other foreign smells that your bait has picked up from your hands, and any other stuff you dragged your bait across.

I don't know where you buy your baits, But where I come from they don't come pre seasoned!.
Just salted, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 04:11 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Kick'n Bass garlic and crawfish. Have tried Carolina Lunker Sauce but haven't used it enough to give a report yet.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 04:31 PM   #7
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

ROB,
I would rather go out with one that smelled like soap, then I know she has just showered. If she has marinated in perfume, it makes you wonder what she is trying to cover up!

FLIPPIN,
I always use garlic scent on plastics except the ones that are pre-scented, like Berkley. I always was afraid that if I added scent to the already existing scent it may create a repellent instead of an attractant.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 04:41 PM   #8
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i tried most of them.i'll just stick with my WD-40.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 05:49 PM   #9
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I use Mazola Corn Oil. It does just as much good as anything else.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 07:00 PM   #10
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Flippin, I gob so much smelly jelly crawdaddy scent on the pig n jig it looks like a pink glob at first.. I always put my fishing rods inside the vehicle while travelling back home from the lake so it also acts as air freshener inside the truck. ;D The smell kind of prevents you from stopping to buy something to eat on the way home also unless you use the kick n bass garlic scent, reminds me of the Italian girl I use to go with many years ago. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 11:31 PM   #11
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

For the do it yourselfer's try this:

1-64 oz bottle of cheap vegtable oil
1- bottle of garlic salt

Mix them together and you have a half gallon of really good scent attractant for about $3.00.

Anthony
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 09:12 AM   #12
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

I fish soft plastics a lot. If made by zoom and salted, I don't add scent. If not salted or scented, I spray in the package with 3 to 4 spritzes of liquid garlic which also contains salt.

I get my liquid garlic from www.garlicvalleyfarms.com. If you wish to try it, get the "cold pressed liquid garlic" by calling the 800 number and ordering directly from the company. It's about 4 dollars a bottle (8 ounce) and only three bucks for shipping no matter how many bottles you order. Comes with a manual pump, no aerosol waste and is water based. I've found the water based garlic penetrates the lure plastic very well.
I spray the lures in the package, seal the bag and float the lures in a sink of hot tapwater for 15 minutes....then they are good to go.....had one bass carry the worm 60 feet before I set the hook.

Good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 11:37 AM   #13
crankbait-nate
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to crankbait-nate

IVE herd about useing wd-40 never tried it tho. The thought of it killen fish Iguess is what kept me from it . DOES IT IN ANY WAY HURT THE FISH ? NOT THAT ide use it as attractent .
crankbait-nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 05:01 PM   #14
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Bang Pure Craw or shad/craw combo- Always ;D Last year, I even started using it as a cover scent on my hard baits
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 10:30 PM   #15
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

I use the best. The Original Fish Formula, Garlic, Shad, and Craw, depending on my needs.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 11:29 PM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Are your friends afraid of smelling like they've been fishing??? Yes use it, and use it often, if it does nothing other than cover up your scent, or any scent it might get from the boat/ground/girlfriend. I use YUM mostly, with Bang as a 2nd, just depends on the one they have at the store when I buy it. I also have, and will probably use a lot more now, the cooking spray, with Garlic you can buy at the grocery store, a lot cheaper, and haven't noticed any difference. But for PNJ, I use Craw formula, for Flukes, shad formula, for everything else, including Lizards, garlic formula.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 04:57 AM   #17
socalbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to socalbasser

Quote:
Yes use it, and use it often, if it does nothing other than cover up your scent, or any scent it might get from the boat/ground/girlfriend.
Lizards,

Girlfriend??? Wouldn't that be pheromones? ;D ;D ;D You may have just started something there. j/k ;D

Skeeter
socalbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 04:52 PM   #18
powayfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use just about any kind of attractant I can find just as long as I have somthing on there,mostly baitmate classic
and the crawfish gel, but I'v tried them all and don't have a problem with any of them. I really like the realcraw also and the bang.

Is sparkelscales still being made?

PHIL G.
Old 01-04-05, 07:50 PM   #19
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Although it is referred to as an attractant, these products are merely scents. Berkely has done tremendous research to suggest that scents play a huge beneficial role for anglers but they also sell scented products, so take that with a grain of salt. I believe they give me some extra time to discern if I have a strike by making the bass hold a bait longer. Even if they don't work at all, scents do give me confidence and I do feel I fish better when using them.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:58 PM   #20
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Scents are a good for that extra second or two. Someone on this site awhile back mentioned not to directly spray it on your tackle because a bass has such a sensitive smell. I followed the advice- I now spray a little on my hands and when I handle my baits it still goes on them but is not as concentrated. This will also save some money in the long run because youre using less product. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.