Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-02-09, 06:12 PM   #101
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

100th reply
Old 04-02-09, 06:27 PM   #102
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Zook, can I get a picture or something of what you got?Pretty please? I see one obvious roadbed on barkely, I mean anybody could spot it...but I want to do some good homework as I hear you fish structure on k lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
100th reply
Was that really necessary?
Old 04-02-09, 08:35 PM   #103
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

woo! 103rd post!

(sorry couldn't resist.)

anyways, you still got a month and a half bama. I have to admit, I can't wait either. and zooks right, the hard part is remembering to bring everything. Well as lond as we bring the boat and fishing equipment, we can mooch of everyone else.

BB
Old 04-02-09, 08:43 PM   #104
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

yeah it was deff nessessary because i cant go , so i figured i'd write something
Old 04-02-09, 08:46 PM   #105
JB

Wtl, theres some good fishing in the canal that connects ky lake to barkley
Barkley is shallower compared to ky lake and should be several degrees warmer ....also if you are running up that way check out blood river, its got some nice structure and holds bigger bass and crappie. Avoid it if its been rainy.

My buddies at work were just at the lake and said they had to work for them but got nice fish in Smiths cove, which is across from big bear..ya enter smiths and turn right for some weedbeds.
Water was pretty clear and fish were in mouths of coves or secondary pts.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 10:45 PM   #106
MississippiBoy

I hate taking photos of photos or anything shiny...

Here's a few looks at the area around our campsite, WTL. Maybe it'll help you some.

Old 04-03-09, 07:28 AM   #107
WTL

Thanks Mississip, that should be enough to get me started. I'm sure there will be a lot of note comparing when we all show up.
Old 04-03-09, 02:24 PM   #108
woody

Default Capt. Dave's Lake Report

April 2, 2009

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 358.65 Surface Temperature - 57

Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.80 Surface Temperature - 57

Both lakes are just below summer pool level which is 359.0. Heavy rains upriver and in the local area over the past week brought the lake levels up about 2.5 ft from last week. The present levels are above the normal levels for this time in April. The forecasted lake levels on the TVA website shows the lake levels should remain about where they are now for the next 72 hours but savvy anglers will monitor the forecast for any revisions to this forecast. We are getting cold fronts coming thru the lakes area about every 48 hours right now and we have been getting strong storms and heavy rains with the frontal passages. We had another front come thru the area this afternoon with strong storms and rain. The forecast for tomorrow is for high NW winds(20-30) but the forecast for Saturday looks good with sunny skies and winds from the southeast at 10-15. There is another frontal passage forecasted for Sunday with more storms but at this time there is no projection available as to whether these storms will come thru the area early or late on Sunday. Anyone planning on going on the lakes Sunday should monitor the weather forecast for more updated information as the storms associate with these fronts this past week have been severe. A cool down with below normal temperatures and NW winds is forecasted for Monday and Tuesday. We still have a myriad of patterns working on the Largemouth Bass as the fish are in transition from early prespawn patterns to prespawn so there are Largemouth being taken from the main lake to the shallow flats in the creeks and bays. Crappie anglers are still taking some Black Crappie on shallow banks casting road runners and small jigs but the numbers are diminishing but this may just be due to the fluctuating water levels we have had lately. A few White Crappie are now being taken on banks but the majority of the White Crappie are still being taken over staging brush piles in the creeks and bays so say the reports I have been given.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are being taken on a myriad of patterns. Largemouth are being taken on main lake primary and secondary points as well as on staging ledges, secondary points and creek channel banks in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on suspending jerkbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits and shaky head worms. Largemouth are also being taken in the shallows in the creeks and bays in and around the mustard flowers and button brush. These fish are being taken on spinnerbaits, lipless crankbaits, Texas rigged creature baits and jigs. The numbers of fish being taken is good but there are a lot of short fish being taken versus keeper size fish. It seems once you find the bigger fish you can catch a number of nice ones, but you may have to wade thru a lot of smaller fish to find them. This should get better as the fish continue to move shallow water to stage for spawning and they are not as spread out as they are right now. The Largemouth fishing overall is good with lots of action. A lot of buck bass are starting to show up in the flooded flowers and button brush...I would expect some females are not far behind.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on primary and secondary points on the main lake and on the secondary points and creek channel banks in the front halves of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on suspending jerkbaits, crankbaits, tube jigs and finesse jigs. Although some good fish are being reported, the numbers of these fish being taken is still not as good as one would expect for this time of year.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft slender pointer in pearl ayu, Mega Bass 110 series power jerkbait in ito wakasagi, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Bandit crankbaits in crawfish/chartreuse, rootbeer/chartreuse and parrot, Rapala shadrap in black/silver, crawdad and hot steel. Lew's rattletraps in crawfish red patterns and blue/chrome as well as Strike King red eye shads in orange/craw and blue/chrome. Charmer timber pups in green pumpkin and watermelon/red, Zoom lizards in watermelon/red and green pumpkin, Charmer shaky worms in watermelon/red fished on D&L shaky head jigs, D&L baby advantage jig in cumberland craw and opps pattern and Last Cast wooley bug finesse jig in green pumpkin (both jigs with Net Bait paca craw trailers).

Crappie: Black Crappie and a few White Crappie are being taken on creek channel banks in 4-8 ft of water by casting road runners and curly tail jigs. Crappie are also being taken on shallow over brush in 4-6 ft of water by fishing with minnows under bobbers. These patterns are reported to be best early and late in the day. White Crappie are being taken over brush piles in 8-12 ft of water along old creek channels and off secondary points as they are staging for spawn. These fish are being taken by casting curly tail jigs as well as by spider rigging small jigs and minnows over the brush.

I have not had any real reports on the Bluegill/Shell Crackers or Catfish yet this spring but I have seen a number of jug anglers working the catfish off the flats in the creeks and bays. We are also getting a number of Bluegill bites and Shell Cracker bites on creek channel banks about halfway back in the creeks and bays while bass fishing. The Shell Crackers appear to be hungry as they are biting the tails off our plastic lizards. Gravel banks are where we are getting most of these bites.

If you are coming down to the lakes area to do some fun spring fishing, I recommend that you stop by the Fisherman's Headquarters tackle shop located at the U.S. 68/U.S. 641 triangle in Draffenville and also The Cabin Bait and Tackle located on U.S. 62 just west of Kuttawa. Both these tackle shops are fully stocked with the latest in bass fishing tackle and lures as well as tackle and live baits for the Crappie and panfish anglers. You will find the folks at these shops to be very friendly and helpful as well as knowledgeable about the lakes.

If you need some service on your boat while you are here or in need of some boating accessories you will find the service at Jet-a-Marina located in Calvert City on U.S. 62 just north of Ky Dam to be just what you are looking for. The service department folks there have a well known reputation for providing excellent work and going out of their way to try to keep you fishing if at all possible. You can also find the best prices on bulk engine oil at in the store there along with a great line of boating accessories not to mention a big showroom full of new boats for you to check out.

If you are looking for a bass fishing guide for some just for fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction, then don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. I have the following openings in April, May and June:

April: Sorry I am booked up.

May: 31

June: 3, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30

Of course I am taking reservations for the rest of the season also, just drop me an email or give me a call to book your date now to ensure you can get the date(s) you want.

Cpt Dave Stewart
Bass Buster Guide Service
dave@kentuckylakeguide.com
www.kentuckylakeguide.com
"Fish With a Professional"
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 04:04 PM   #109
zooker

that is the same map i have on my gps sippi..the black micky mouse looking thing in the second and third pics are marked as "submerged brush" the gold/yellow markings called"submerged stumps/snags...

zooker
Old 04-05-09, 12:52 PM   #110
JB

zooker,
i got my gps loaded with coordinates, every fire hydrant and foundation n brush pile is MINE dammit lol...go down to blood river
Old 04-05-09, 04:14 PM   #111
zooker

15 miles are you crazy??.... wait i DO know the answer to dat one..

nope you just make sure ya don't fish behind me..i don't leave much...

zooker
Old 04-05-09, 05:15 PM   #112
WTL

JB, I'm sorry I cant remember if I asked you or not....

Anybody ever fish the tailwaters below kentucky or barkely dams? I'm thinking trailering, not by water here if I were to try them. All the other TVA lakes I know are great below the dams.
Old 04-05-09, 06:20 PM   #113
zooker

brotha love.. thats quite a haul into the tailrace..

but here is the lat/long for the tailrace launch

N37 01.121 W88 16.759

zooker
Old 04-05-09, 06:41 PM   #114
WTL

15 miles or so per road from google eart. Doesnt seem too bad to me.

Last year at the get together we all made a similar short drive to a second ramp.

I havent actually ruled out trippin up to where the tennesee empties into the ohio. For some reason I'd like to see the end of the river I grew up on.
Old 04-05-09, 07:42 PM   #115
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
JB, I'm sorry I cant remember if I asked you or not....

Anybody ever fish the tailwaters below kentucky or barkely dams? I'm thinking trailering, not by water here if I were to try them. All the other TVA lakes I know are great below the dams.
I bet they do, when you go across the dam you and look to the west and see the river and how much its raised that spring. the dams a lot of concrete lol
Old 04-05-09, 08:10 PM   #116
zooker

yo look here..

any one need a copy of this im me your e-mail addy..

zooker
Old 04-08-09, 02:23 PM   #117
MississippiBoy

36 days left .......why isn't it May yet?
Old 04-08-09, 02:39 PM   #118
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Gonna have to bail on this and the North East gathering. Girlfriend informed me that I am to use my Vacation time to take her to St. Lucia in July......so I'm gonna be in St. Lucia in July instead of Kentucky in May. I told her straight up however that if I have an opportunity to, I will be bringing a rod down with me to fish the surf as well as take a day out to deep sea fish. Have fun guys and hope to meet some of you all at the next big gathering.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 05:58 PM   #119
bamabassman

sorry panthrosan. we would've loved to have BOTH of you there bub.

this remeinds me now gang. we need an UPDATED account of who is coming and who hass to decline. com on folks sign up ok?
Old 04-09-09, 01:47 AM   #120
carolina-rig-01

britney and i are still in, i just bought a few ky lake maps lastnight and been studying them on the crapper every chance i get lol.
Old 04-09-09, 09:35 PM   #121
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
britney and i are still in, i just bought a few ky lake maps lastnight and been studying them on the crapper every chance i get lol.
The best library in the world or reading room

We are still coming, can't wait
Old 04-09-09, 09:57 PM   #122
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
The best library in the world or reading room

We are still coming, can't wait

i am still in it... the crapper the only place you can be alone with your thoughts...

zooker
Old 04-10-09, 04:31 PM   #123
flfireman

So far so good. WOuld still like to pick up a travel partner.LIZZZZZIIIIIEEEE!
Old 04-10-09, 04:51 PM   #124
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
36 days left .......why isn't it May yet?
The wife and I are still in, in case you didn't already know.

34 days left...
Old 04-10-09, 05:42 PM   #125
bamabassman

hey zooker. would you mind sending that map to mb for me? thanks pal. mb, can print them and bring em with him for us to look at. our printer is on the fritz.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.