Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-03-05, 02:30 PM   #1
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Going out Saturday

Ok, guys. I'm going out this Saturday to a local lake near my house. The weather in the last week has been warm with a high in the upper 60's and lower 70's. This weather is supposed to continue on into the weekend with a high/low of 74/54 on Saturday.

I know usually this time of year the bass are deep and a little slow, but with this major warm front coming through, I know that the bite will change dramatically.

What can some of you guys suggest I use, and do you think they will be feeding shallow?
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 02:43 PM   #2
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl
Default Re: Going out Saturday

They will follow the bait, if that lake has shad in it. Find the shad and the fish will be there. They were quite active here the last few days from the warm weather, much more than i expected. I caught two nice fish on a Yozuri Drum (like a trap) and they hit it like the water temp was 70° but its more like 40°. Depends on the lake, but don't neglect to see if the fish are feeding up while its warm, and more active than you would expect. Good luck
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 09:49 PM   #3
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

I went Sunday and the water temp was 48.6-49.5. I expected to catch fish in the 15-20 foot range but instead every one of them that I caught was in the 5-8 foot range.

They are still pretty shallow but the ones that I caught was not very active. I caught some on crankbaits and some on soft plastics. The bite was very mushy even on the crankbaits. I would be reeling it in and it would feel heavy. On the soft plastics instead of a tap tap it would be more of a tick and that was it. I missed several because the bite was so soft.

Good Luck!
Anthony
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 11:20 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I agree with all the above advice given ;D You'll have to find them, and find what they want Flukes would be my preference in this situations, from dead sticking to a fast retrieve. Once you get that first bite, them follow it up with like presentations. My biggest problem when the bite is slow, is keeping my concentration. I'll fish for hours with no bites, then miss the fish when it does bite, because my mind is wandering. So if it is slow, don't give up, just try to keep focused on your line, and a heavier feel which indicates a fish grabbed it, but isn't running. Good fishing, let us know how you did.

Lizards

macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 11:34 PM   #5
BILLYWHOMPWHOMP
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BILLYWHOMPWHOMP

there is good advice above but i would go up to the lake before u go to see where the fish are. when you go saturday use slow crankbaits and make them move alot the fishwill be looking for aeasy lunch. hope this helps :
BILLYWHOMPWHOMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.