Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-11-12, 02:04 PM   #1
tony20110
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A-Rig setup

What is everyone using for their A-Rigs? I've got a 7ft med heavy 12lb fluro with a diawa fast retrieve bait caster.
tony20110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 04:25 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most guys that throw those dang 5 bait rigs are using swim bait rods, H/m or mf action, in 7'6" - 8'0". If you're in one of the states that require no more than 3 hooked baits you might get away with a MH/m like a rod designed for deep diving cranks. This is advice I've read from other sources as I wouldn't throw an A-rig whether it was a 5 or 3 bait rig, I just don't find it "sporting". Other guys feel the need to throw it, I don't have a problem, but they don't get thrown on my boat. That shouldn't be a problem as I am not a tournament fisherman so I would not be compromising a co-angler and a guest on my boat that pulls one out will be asked to put it away - don't ask what happens if they refuse. But what other guys do, is not a concern of mine as long as it's legal gear in the state being fished (BTW the 5 bait A-rig is illegal in PA & MD where I do most of my fishing).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 05:18 PM   #3
Jrob78

I don't throw the a-rig either but if I did, I would use equipment meant to handle the weight of the rig. I would be using a swimbait set up of at least 7'6", rated for baits in the 2-5 oz range. What you're talking about using sounds like the exact opposite of what you should be using. The line is too light, the reel is too fast, the rod is too short and too light. Don't even bother.
Old 06-11-12, 06:16 PM   #4
tony20110
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A-Rig

Thanks for the info. Looks like Im in the market for a big rod.
tony20110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 07:36 PM   #5
Jrob78

Just for giggles I weighed a 1/4oz swimbait head with a 4" paddle tail swimbait. It came in at 3/4 of an ounce. 5 of those is 3.75 ounces and that isn't including the a-rig itself. A standard MH bass rod is rated to 3/4oz. Chances are, you wouldn't be throwing all 1/4oz heads with 4" swimbaits, it only gets heavier from here.

This is a Buckeye 1/4oz J-Will swimbait head and a 4" Bass Magic paddle tail.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-11-12, 08:08 PM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

7'11" Mattlures H, swimbait rod, and Cardiff 301 handles it nicely, and it's not a broomstick.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 12:10 AM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yep, I'd use a swimbait rod, too.
Old 06-19-12, 07:58 PM   #8
Brudd
BassFishin.Com Member

You need a lot more than 12 lb floro. My dad tied one on my jig rod that had 30 or 40 lb braid on it and snapped the line when he casted it. The recommendation I recieved was something in the 60 to 80 lb range.
Brudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.