Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-15-09, 09:25 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default retrieve on a carolina rig

Wow been awhile since ive been here...

first off , Ive been a die-hard spinner bait guy for quite awhile, (pretty much all i was fishing were spinners) i do have plastics as well, worms, lizards ect. but never really knew how to effectively use them or rig them i should say so i'd get fed-up and go back to spinnerbaits..
well I finally got sick of using just spinnerbaits and wanted to learn how to properly use those plastics i have. figured id give the carolina rig a shot
as far as the rig itself and rigging my plastics texas style im all good, got that down pat..i think its the retrieve im having a problem with i guess you could say., i mean, i know you dont burn the bait back to you, but do you wanna go super super slow? ive been doing it somewhat too slow i think cause i keep getting snagged .( the weight getting caught between rocks im suspecting)

the way i have been doing it so far is cast out..wait till my sinker hits bottom...reel up the slack....then sweeping the rod,, at the end of the sweep motion reel up the slack as i move the rod back to where i started and repeat...

this is what i read on some web-site so i figured id give it a go. all the videos ive found on the carolina rig all discuss how to rig it up, but cant find a video of anyone showing you a proper retrieve for using it. unless the way i mentioned above how ive been going at it is correct?

well i did catch 1 today using a lizard, although small i still got em. id like to know if it was the teqnique rather than just dumb luck..

thanks guys, Good to be Back
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 09:48 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, I recently was in the same boat as you, so I went looking, and found this video. I'm sure Kevin will eventually put together one of his amazing videos on the subject, but this will do until then. The kid is a pretty good teaecher in this video. I also love how he throws his phone away heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Xn-NV8YyI
Old 06-15-09, 10:10 PM   #3
Rebbasser

Howdy, Jim-good to see you!

Yep, you are doing it right. Like any other bait, just vary your retrieve until you find what the fish want.
Old 06-15-09, 10:10 PM   #4
bigjim

cool man thanks, cant believe i passed over this 1 , watched every other youtube vid
Old 06-15-09, 10:13 PM   #5
bigjim

ok cool, thanks buddy
Old 06-15-09, 10:44 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah you might also want to try stoppin it when you feel somethin different, ect: bigger rock,smaller rock,wood,grass,drop off...........

experiement with different leader lengths....... i usually go big, like 2-3 feet...... also experiemnt with different soft plastics........

you might be gettin stuck in the rocks b/c the weights too big, but a really good way to get c-rigs out when they do that around rock is to give it a little bit of slack, grab the line with your hand, pull the rod back so its tight, and let the slack go that is now in your hand... do this a couple times and 90% of the time you are good, if not, if you want it back go over to where it is stuck, stick your rod in the water and pull it off, different direction usually gets it right off
Old 06-15-09, 11:04 PM   #7
bigjim

thanks for the tip Aiken. yea i have tons of plastics, finally going to get to use them now that ive finally gotten into using this carolina set-up

question...what is the reasoning behind using lighter line for the leader end? everything ive read, they all say to do that but no one says why ? if i had to guess, it would be that it makes your bait move more naturally? falls/settles to the bottom slower?
Old 06-15-09, 11:46 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Yes, a lighter line will be harder for the fish to see, and could possibly allow for more delicate movements. However, at least for me, I do it to make sure if I get snagged up, the line breaks below my swivel, saving my expensive tungsten sinker.
Old 06-16-09, 08:29 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like to use 30lb braid for the mainline and 8-12 lb fluoro for the leader. This is how my dad and I caught 95% of our fish at Ky Lake. You can vary the speed at which you sweep the rod until you find what the fish like, or even how long you let it set between sweeps.

BB
Old 06-16-09, 05:19 PM   #10
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I've watched peter t. he is the best with a c rig i believe. he lifts his rod tip up and goes all the way back to like 11 o clock. he doesnt really stop either he just keeps it moving on the bottom.
Old 06-18-09, 02:05 PM   #11
pacordon
BassFishin.Com Member

Well i'm no expert but this is my understanding. Your main line can be braid,mono,or floro. But your short leader can be 6-10 weight, about 3' long. But it should be mono not floro. Mono floats and allows your plastic to float above the bottom. If I've been given the wrong info. please chime in.
pacordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 02:21 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Yes, fluorocarbon sinks, but the 36 inches of 12lb fluoro weighs about 1/10 of what the hook weighs, and about 1/50 of what a 7" worm weighs. The effect of such a small length of fluorocarbon on buoyancy is almost negligible...i.e, if it floats with the hook in it, your line probably isn't going to matter.
Old 06-18-09, 03:18 PM   #13
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Yes, fluorocarbon sinks, but the 36 inches of 12lb fluoro weighs about 1/10 of what the hook weighs, and about 1/50 of what a 7" worm weighs. The effect of such a small length of fluorocarbon on buoyancy is almost negligible...i.e, if it floats with the hook in it, your line probably isn't going to matter.
x2 for me.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 03:53 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacordon View Post
Well i'm no expert but this is my understanding. Your main line can be braid,mono,or floro. But your short leader can be 6-10 weight, about 3' long. But it should be mono not floro. Mono floats and allows your plastic to float above the bottom. If I've been given the wrong info. please chime in.
honestly, you can use whatever line you want. If you have more confidence in using mono over fluoro, then use mono. I personally like fluorocarbon because it's clearer in the water than mono.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.