Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-10-05, 09:45 PM   #1
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Weight limit?

Maybe someone on here can answer this. The boat I use is a 1973 Norris craft. Weight plates were not required on boats until December of that year, so my boat doesn't have one. I have a 20HP on it and would like to upgrade as soon as possible, but I want to make sure I am not going over the limit on this thing. Is there someone I can take my boat to so I can figure out what is the biggest motor I can put on that thing?
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:20 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Weight limit?

maybe call the dealer or manufacturer?
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 11:13 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

basicly i would check the transome if it apears beat up and or rotted. i would replace it if not renforce the transome. i have done this in an old jon boat-which i still own-most of the older boats like that have a wooden transome.-mostly plywood- with a skin of metal over the out side. if this is the case simply get a couple sheets of marine grade plywood and spend a weekend tearing the old stuff out. the doubling the orginal thickness if possable, reinstalling it with ss screws -used deck screws- and marine glue. i done this to a 72 starcraft cuddy cabin with a 75 horse merc 15 years ago the boat is as good now as it was then.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 11:59 PM   #4
bassfisher14

The transom is great on it, so I don't need to replace it. I am just trying to figure out what size I can go up to. I tried contacting the manufacturer, but by what I have found they are out of business now.
Old 06-11-05, 10:18 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

bb,

try asking that question here http://bassboatcentral.com these guys are a bunch of freaks on knowledge about boats.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 01:41 PM   #6
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

I saw this equation for calculating the maximum horse power on the boat. you take the width and the length then diide it by 3 then multiply by 2 or something.

I don't know it but I remember seeing it.

Also my old boat had a 25 hp motor on it but was said to only take a 8.5 hp so I prove that maximum horsepower rating wrong. The motor weighed more than the boat
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 03:01 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

if the motor weighed more then the boat....how in the world did you keep the back from sinking??? plus if you have insurance....dont know if you would have insurance for a jon boat...lol...but if you have insurance then putting a larger motor then what your boat is rated for will void it
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 03:32 PM   #8
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

The jon boat was a 1969 so it had no capacity plate. I put the engine on it and the back was at the same level as it was before with a 9.5 hp engine so I wasn't too worried. I also didn't change the boat license so the TWRA never knew about it and the insurance company just asked for the boat license that had 9.5 written on it. So they never found out. I found out searching the internet it's horsepower rating. The boat weighed 99 pounds and the 25hp engine wieghed 110.

I think it's even scarier going 35mph in a 12 foot jon boat than 80 in a bass boat.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 07:13 PM   #9
bassfisher14

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll check that website out and see if I can find any answers. I'll also search the net to see if I can find anything out.
Old 06-11-05, 08:08 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

booger please note that around 1995 they stopped taking the horse power rating off the fly wheel and started taking it off the prop shaft. a 1985 90 horse merc would only put out about 75 horse at the prop. so new moters will be more powerful at the same rating.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 03:45 PM   #11
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Zook,
That sounds about right on the date.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.