Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-11-11, 07:28 AM   #1
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Have pity on the next guy

Finally got around to replacing the bow light in the barge yesterday (87 Ranger 373V). Also needed new switch. While under the dash, I decided to straighten out some of the old wiring. After more than 3 hrs on my neck I still haven't finished sorting through the mess left by previous owner/ owners. Why is it that folks just leave the old wiring in place rather than use it to pull the new one through. This isn't the first boat I've had to do this with, either but it is the worst. Wires spliced with different colors that correspond with nothing,wires clipped off and left hanging (Duh, where does this go?) Right now I'm thinking that the simplest thing to do is to take it all out and rewire the whole @$#% thing. I pulled out 4 transducer cables that go to nothing, a basketfull of 16gauge wire and enough black tape to recap a tire. So, as I said, have pity on the next guy. PLEASE.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 06:30 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

top tiger.....i am wanting to do the EXACT SAME THING man. and i am thinking that i will have to do it myself. ain't got the money to pay someone, so i guess i will have to figure it out meself,lol. can you tell this, is 16 gauge the type for all the lights and so forth? i have some that are bigger and smaller spliced in here and there. i want to do it RIGHT when i do it. i got shorts everywhere it seems.
i feel for you pal.....and i DREAD doing it hahaha.
Old 07-11-11, 10:34 PM   #3
Top Tiger

Bama, 16 gauge will work for most everything on the boat unless you're running a refrigerator or radar or something that draws a lot of amps. The American Yacht Council has a list of the proper colors for different items such as, brown for bilge pumps, red for lights etc. A buss bar for a common ground will save a ton of headaches and it makes for a cleaner installation too. By the way, my name is Kevin and I'm glad to meet ya.
Old 07-12-11, 06:16 PM   #4
bamabassman

hi kevin, john here ifn ya didn't already know.

and thanks man, that helps me alot.
Old 07-12-11, 06:22 PM   #5
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm getting ready to re-do a lot of my wiring and I love the buss bar idea. I think I will put three of them in, one in the toe panel up front, one in the console and one in the battery/bilge compartment.
Old 07-12-11, 06:28 PM   #6
bamabassman

ok, didn't wanna sound dumber than i already am but.........what is a bus bar?
Old 07-12-11, 09:02 PM   #7
Top Tiger

John, it's as simple as can be. A buss bar is a strip of metal, brass or steel with a series of screw or bolt terminals on it. Attach it somewhere under the dash and run all of your ground wires to it. Then you run only one wire back to the boat's battery ground instead of many individual ground wires. It saves a lot of headaches down the road and makes for a much cleaner installation. Look up Defender Marine on the web. They'll have everything you need. It's a great site. Been doing business with them for years.
Old 07-12-11, 09:24 PM   #8
bamabassman

ok......now i remember, sorry brain dead today. thanks, when i can i will look up that co.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.