Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-05, 03:51 PM   #1
better2bfishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to better2bfishing
Default need help with spinnerbaits

ok well i have trouble with spinnerbaits. i kno they work good but i nvr have ne luck with them. wuts the best kind to buy and how shud i retrieve it to get strikes?
better2bfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 04:07 PM   #2
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard
Default Re: need help with spinnerbaits

Check out some of the links on the articles section of Kevin's site. There are a few good ones about spinnerbaits.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 04:07 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Conditions? Water color, cover, etc.?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 04:13 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

The clearer the water is, probably the harder it is to get a good consistant bite with the spinner bait..
The spinnerbait works best when the water has some stain or color to it, you can throw it over fallen timber, or along weedbeds, its really about the easiest bait to throw.
I would recommend a 3/8 spinnerbait, maybe a small colorado blade in front, willow in back, thats the standard set up.. I like a chartruse and white skirt, and a white or chartruse n white grub on the hook, slide up to the skirt.
The bass hit the bait and usually hook them selves,
I would say spring and fall are good times, when you can find shad jumping and moving, its a good indication of bass feeding, and a spinnerbait moving through the water where ever you see bait fish action is a proven winner... 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 05:25 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

jb
nope

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 07:35 PM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

not a fan of the blade eh zook? yer missin out :-/
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 10:49 PM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i think it always varies for the fish one day they might want something fast or the next want a slow presention. its up to u to decide this. try both. also so people run it just below the surface makin rippels on the top.
Old 07-11-05, 01:14 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=basspro9 link=board=news;num=1120935065;start=0#0 date=07/09/05 at 14:51:05]ok well i have trouble with spinnerbaits. i kno they work good but i nvr have ne luck with them. wuts the best kind to buy and how shud i retrieve it to get strikes?[/quote]

The best advice I can give you is to fish them in weeds, and wood cover. They are pretty snag proof on a steady retrieve. there are days when theya re fabulous and days when they are just plain old work, with no results. They will catch fish. Just keep throwing them.

JB,

I think zooker meant they catch fish just swell in clear water too

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 06:21 PM   #9
Spandextros
BassFishin.Com Member

anyone have a favorite brand or type of spinnerbait for a clear lake with lots of lilly pads?
Spandextros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 06:53 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

whoa hoss i aint that drunk... the hell is with all of the freak names ?? oh well

i catch more bass in clear water on a spinner bait than you can shake 2 sticks at..

zooker
Old 07-19-05, 09:30 PM   #11
abugarcia6
BassFishin.Com Active Member

welll about...mayb 2 weeks ago..i tried out.. the strike king red eye...produced very well...it was a white one...bout 2.90 at walmart...lol...id give it a try
abugarcia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 12:24 AM   #12
Harry
BassFishin.Com Member

For clear water try lighter versions of skirt colors sometimes they are hard to find in the chain stores but the major fishing retailers have them. There are some very transparent color let tend to look like bait fish colors. Another idea for clear water is to go down a size to 1/4 oz instead of 3/8 and maybe not fish a trailer to make a smaller profile.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 01:31 PM   #13
Spandextros
BassFishin.Com Member

I found a new pond last night and hooked about a 13 inch crapie on a spinnerbait I was convinced it was a bass... still having tough luck with finding the right one for bass in that pond though. Do you think it is possible that the bass are just too used to the spinnerbaits in that location? Because in other lakes I don't do too bad with them.
Old 07-21-05, 01:55 PM   #14
Sluggo Man

I don't catch many bass on them. Sometimes I do, but usually they aren't as good for me as other lures.

October is when they work best for me. I just find an area without a lot of weeds and throw it right to the windblown shoreline and reel in under the surface.

Usually, they're either hitting them or they aren't. If you haven't had anything after a few minutes in an area, try something else. Reaction strike lures = work quickly, or don't work at all.
Sluggo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 03:20 PM   #15
guacomole

I retrieve them slowly over weeds, they usaully work well for me. I like white or shad colors in clear water with a colorado bottom/ willow top setup for clear water. In slightly murky water I use the same except white/ chartrues color, and in realy murky water I use a single colordo with a chartrues color. Put a tailer hook on. Strike king makes good ones, there durable too, thats what I like about them.
Old 07-21-05, 08:40 PM   #16
monsterbass2001

Talking Spinnerbaits

I like to use a 3/8- 1/2 oz spinnerbait with 2 willow leaf blades. I would use a trailer hook so you do not miss fish. I like useing a white skirt it usually works for most aplications. If the fish are hitting very agressive you can real very fast to get a reaction strike but usually just keep the bait right over the structure you are fishing.Dont bother useing them when the bite is really slow change to a pig and jig or other jig baits.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.