Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-14-05, 10:12 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Smallmouth Jig

Hi. I am not registered yet but i was wondering if this jig would work for largemouth in a lake and smallmouth in a river.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...results1.jhtml

Also what kind and size hook would be best for a 4" tiki-stick. Thanks so Much.
Old 07-14-05, 10:22 PM   #2
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I wouldn't use that normally I would use a jig head with a twister tail. depends where you live You might have to cut some of the guards off the front of that jig for the smallies.
Old 07-14-05, 10:36 PM   #3
Unregistered

Thanks. I live up in Northeast Iowa and i usually fish for smallies in the river. I am used to a little lure fishing and i just caught my first few smallies on a mister twister tail a week and a half ago. I thought i would try something new. Any suggestions or any color combinations you perfer? Also would that tiki-stick be a good idea for letting it float down the current for a strike. Thanks so much.
Old 07-15-05, 12:17 PM   #4
Unregistered

Is there any color combinations you perfer for smallmouth bass in muddy river water? Thanks. Need to know by 2:30 because i am gonna go to walmart today and get some new tackle. Thanks.
Old 07-16-05, 06:34 AM   #5
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

I am too late to help, but the jig you posted will catch smallmouth, As Robzilla mentioned the preferred small mouth bait is a 1/4oz. leadhead jig with a Kalin grub in pumpkin color or smoke color. I use the 5 " grub . During the winter, go with a heavier jighead, either 3/8oz., or a 1/2 0z. jig with the same Kalin 5"(twister style) grubs.I use green pumpkin or black/red skirted jigs when using a regular jig, but a tube bait will usually out produce a regular jig for smallmouth bass. I hope this helps you , P N J
Justin Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 10:06 PM   #6
Unregistered

Thanks Justin Case. I just want to ask one more question. Will these catch those largemouths along with smallmouths. http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...021&hasJS=true

Also how would YOU rig them? Thanks. Bye.

If I register, will i be able to unregister. is there a catch to it like ordering something? thanks. bye.
Old 07-18-05, 10:24 PM   #7
Unregistered

Exclamation

Can anyone help me? I was wondering if anyone has used them before and if you have can you tell me how to fish them. thanks.
Old 07-18-05, 11:11 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They will work for both largemouth and smallmouth. That particular one you insert the jighead inside the tube and punch the eye through the skin of the tube from the inside out. Most hits come when it is falling, so raise it off the bottom with your rod tip and let it spiral back down.

To register just click on register at the top of the page and follow the directions. It is free and easy to do.
Old 07-19-05, 06:04 AM   #9
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

That is a tube bait. It is a super choice to catch smallmouth bass as well as largemouth bass.I prefer to use a regular tungstun worm weight and let it slide(not pegging the weight)with a Eagle claw HP hook. Thee HP hook has a wire keeper attached so your tube bait stays in place when fished.Dicks sporting goods carries that Gitzit tube in 25 packs for $4.99. I did not see how much they were in Calbelas.Sorry for the delay of answering your post.Rebbasser got you squared away on it . The tube bait can imitate a baitfish or a crawfish depending on how you fish it. P N J
Old 07-19-05, 07:41 AM   #10
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default tube jig

Good idea to tear off every third tentacle of the skirt....gives you much more action. Smallies seem to like the earthtones in the darker greens such as green pumpkin and watermelon/red......for lighter colors, use the extreme opposite of pearl white.....the darker tones can be crawled across the bottom like crawdads and the white will nicely imitate a swimming fish just a little above bottom with a steady, but fairly slow swimming retrieve.

If you use a wide gap hook for texposing, (texas rigging with the hook point exposed and lying along the body), try clamping on a fair sized splitshot on the curved hookshaft underneath the bait. It will catch and release, shaking the crawling bait and flairing the tail as well as emitting a little occasional clicking sound on the pebbles like craws are said to make. Use as little weight as needed to make the overall lure appear light when moving and making contact with the bottom.....you can discover the weight needed by experimenting with different sized shot......thereby adjusting it to the current, and depth.

Sometimes the smallies will prefer the smaller tubes such as a 2.5 or 2.75 inch size, other times, the 4 inchers will work, and yet at other times you can cut off a half inch or so of the skirt on the 4 incher, thus making tube fishing versatile.

Last edited by Mac1; 07-19-05 at 07:44 AM. Reason: adding info
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-05, 12:17 PM   #11
Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1
If you use a wide gap hook for texposing, (texas rigging with the hook point exposed and lying along the body), try clamping on a fair sized splitshot on the curved hookshaft underneath the bait. It will catch and release, shaking the crawling bait and flairing the tail as well as emitting a little occasional clicking sound on the pebbles like craws are said to make. Use as little weight as needed to make the overall lure appear light when moving and making contact with the bottom.....you can discover the weight needed by experimenting with different sized shot......thereby adjusting it to the current, and depth.
What do you mean by this mac1? If someone could show me a picture of this it would be great. Thanks.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 10:24 PM   #12
Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1
Can someone show me a picture of this? Thanks so much.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.