Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-02-08, 12:53 AM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Arrow Official Discussion Thread For Guntersville Member Event

Official Discussion Thread for
The BassFishin.Com Member Event at Lake Guntersville

For Information on the Event:
Event Information Thread
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 03:45 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bama, as of right now, we'll be there. I was thinking of bring... hm... some food... maybe some NANNERS!!! Just kidding. The only thing is, we don't have a tent or any camping gear.

I was wondering if you needed anyone to bring paper plates or untensils for eating. If so, let me know and my dad and I will grin some of that stuff, we'll just need to know how many people are attending. I really can't wait to go.

Another thing I had a question about is boater/non-boaters. Will there be enough people with boats? We won't be bringing ours because we've only got a 15hp motor and well... the boat's slow.

Can't wait to meet everyone and fish,

BB
Old 05-02-08, 06:17 PM   #3
bamabassman

everyone attending do me a favor. please list in detail what you can bring. i am making a list of what we have and what we will need. thanks gang. COME ON JUNE!!! hahaha, can ya'll tell i am excited?!? hahaha.
Old 05-02-08, 07:01 PM   #4
WTL

I am bringing the 2 things of Dreamland sauce. I also will bring a charcoal grill - unless they have the bbq pits at the campground (many do - do you know if goose pond has those bama?). I am bringing my boat. My Dad will probably come and bring his boat and maybe a freind. But I can probably take one non-boater. My boat is smaller though.
Old 05-02-08, 07:12 PM   #5
BigBassin144

bama, count us in for paper plates and/or plastic utensils. We'll just need to know how many to bring after we get a list of everyone attending.

BB
Old 05-02-08, 07:47 PM   #6
bamabassman

great wtl. and bb, that is good too. we'll wait till we see how many are here. we'll need those for what 5 meals? sound good bb? we'll get more if we need them. keep it coming gang.
Old 05-02-08, 07:48 PM   #7
bamabassman

oh, wtl. there are no grills there at the area. i am bringing my bbq gas grill, 1 to 3 turkey fryers and a pavilion tent. and 1 table. also about 5 chairs or so. i will post what else i can bring. getting it together as we speak.
Old 05-02-08, 11:57 PM   #8
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bama, I'll be there but probably not staying at night.... Like I said, wife is preg. I can take someone with me on my boat. check out the pics in the boats forum... I just bought it this week.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 05:14 PM   #9
Kevin
Administrator

Exclamation

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Hey gang... just wanted to update everyone that Google Maps had been reporting the WRONG location of the campgrounds. So if you looked at the Maps on Google with the former links we had... it was reporting that the campgrounds were some 15 miles away from the Lake. This is not true!

The Campgrounds are directly on Lake Guntersville, with an exact address of:

417 Ed Hembry Drive
Scottsboro, AL 35769

The campgrounds are right on the Lake folks.

The Google Map links have been updated to reflect the correct location.

We apologize for the mistake. Thanks!

Kevin
Old 05-03-08, 05:37 PM   #10
WTL

Additional info of note:

The park is located near Cathedral Caverns State Park, I have never been there but I hear its pretty cool.

Its in Scottsboro, so this isn't quite rural - Scottsboro is a fair sized small city with running water and the electric light. Sewer is still a little spotty. Latrines are well marked however running up and down the main throuroughfairs, and they have recently added fresh gravel to those.

Goose Pond Colony is probably one of the most popular locations on the lake. It is located in a very good spot fishing wise, affording access to both the mid lake and upper riverine portion of the lake.

Hyrdilla is what you normally hear about when people on national shows talking about lake Guntersville, but IMO current is even more important.

Bring sunscreen, it will be warm...bring box fans too since we are camping. Someone please bring bug lights. I don't think I have one, but I will look in the closet.

Mayflies may be out, so we are in for some nightime entertainment of the premium variety if someone does bring a bug zapper. Also bring a fly rod if you have one.
Old 05-03-08, 08:56 PM   #11
bamabassman

hahahahaha wtl. you are dead on my friend. thanks for the info that i have forgotten. truly thank you. anything else ya'll can think of that i haven't, please state it.
Old 05-03-08, 09:06 PM   #12
bamabassman

ANOTHER THING I FORGOT GANG!!! bring cameras!! need alot of pictures to post for Kevin, okay? thanks again.
Old 05-04-08, 07:41 AM   #13
ol'fisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ol'fisherman
Default Busy but haven't forgotten!!!!

hey bama and gang.It's me ol'fisherman here.I been VERY busy with pre-fishing and all,but,have not forgot about the get toghether.I will be there but don't worry about me staying there.i just go to mc donalds or something and stay at a motel up there.when i go to come i prolly would get up there late on a friday night so wouldn't want to disturb you guys.i be bringing my boat with me bassin so will need some of ya'll's contact numbers so when i get up if you are already on the water i can call ya'll and let you know i'm stirring.looking to have a good time,fellowship and meeting the gang.wil be first time i ever done anything like this.will try to bring some fans and maybe even go shop at dollar general before hand for some paper plates and plastic where and such.i contribute what i can but as far as gas and all...will need some help there like you all discussed before with the non boaters and such.Definately wanna come though and am looking foward to it.Buzz,tell your dad i said nice fish and gobbler.like bassin asked...did it taste like chicken?ahahahahahaha,LMAO.may have to try that some time.anyway till next time gone fishin.
ol'fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 09:16 AM   #14
Kevin
Administrator

Hey John...

Can you take a look at the new Google Map for the campgrounds and confirm that it placed an accurate marker where the campgrounds are? Let me know if it looks right to you. The last Google Map showed the campgrounds some 15 miles from the lake, but I called the campgrounds and they said that didn't sound right because they are right on the lake.
Old 05-04-08, 09:45 AM   #15
bamabassman

yes kevin, it looks correct to me. hey gang...if you click on the map, it has a photo shot of the area. follow SHORTY ROBERTSON ROAD. at the very end where it makes a circle is where the primitive area is. it is now cleared out alot. not as many trees now. photo must have been an old one. i know the director personally (families grew up together), will explain at the meet. hope that this helps everyone looking for where we will meet up. also Kevin, my neighbor and his friend will not be staying overnight. they will come saturday and eat with us. and ol'fisherman and bassin...ya'll ARE gonna eat with us saturday night, right? i am making a kinda schedule for the weekend gang. not anything tooo compicated. just some kind of schedule, ok? that way we all know what to expect, and when to do the dinner . thanks gang.
Old 05-04-08, 11:27 AM   #16
WTL

Bassman,
a lot of folks are staying at hotels, I will be camping - but is there anything I have to do like call the office or will there be a spot for me? Are you passing the list on to the folks at Goose Pond, so that I just need to check in?
Old 05-05-08, 09:38 AM   #17
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I wish it was later. Then I could come and supply you with fresh Alaskan halibut and salmon...

No Zooker?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 03:30 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Zook- You afraid of me and bama with our banana's?

BB
Old 05-05-08, 06:46 PM   #19
bamabassman

hahaha bb. yea he is. and his little woman will out fish him, hahahahahahaha.
Old 05-06-08, 06:50 AM   #20
BigBassin144

Zook, that sounds like a challenge...

BB
Old 05-06-08, 05:41 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Bama, I got a new cell phone...

BB
Old 05-06-08, 06:31 PM   #22
bamabassman

HAHAHAHAHA, send it to da zook bb, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-08, 07:26 PM   #23
BigBassin144

I really think we're why he's not coming. Zook, if you come, I Promise (I can't speak for bama) that I won't put nanners in your boat!

BB
Old 05-06-08, 08:07 PM   #24
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

What kind of lures should we bring? What about tackle? What types of line, lb test, etc. What kind of structure/cover is there in Guntersville. Water Clarity?

Thanks, I was wondering because it's just a long way for us to come and bring the wrong tackle.

Thanks again,
kingfish
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 08:18 PM   #25
WTL

Kingfish, I'll use your questions for another info post;

Guntersville is a large reservoir on the Tennessee river. It has a maximum depth of around 90' in the channel and is in the neighborhood of 70,000 acres. Most fishing is done from 20' up. I normally fish from 8' up. There are always some shallow bass.

The most obvious cover in the lake is the existence of massive dense beds of hydrilla and milfoil. These beds exist the length of the lake and are almost everywhere.

The lake has numerous humps, creek channels, islands and points however and was a dynamic fishery even before the introduction of milfoil.

Fishermen often take into account the heavy cover and opt for heavier line, often braided. I use 30 pound powerpro for all my fishing on G'ville, although there probably is a place for 15.

It is a fantastic spinnerbait, fluke, jig and flipping/pitching lake. I also have heard that the scum frog was invented here. Water is very fertile and normally has a good stain, but its not what one would call a muddy lake. I believe the grass filters some of the sediment out.

I highly recomend baitcasting gear although you can catch plenty with spinning. I also recomend that everyone who has a flyrod and any panfish gear bring that. You can get by with smaller boats on G'ville because of all the creeks, islands and grass that break up waves, it is not a terribly rough lake. There is signifigant barge and pleasure boat traffic. There will likely be torunaments in progress on this weekend. I for one am silently hoping for unbearably hot weather to keep those tourneys participation low.

Besides bass, the lake is known as a very good bream (bluegill and shellcracker), crappie and catfish lake. Stripers also get very large. There is a decent population of sauger, but they will be very scattered and out of season in June. There will be large mayfly hatches around this time (normally start looking june 1st and they can continue till july 4th or so). This is a major fishing event as most species feed on the mayflies which form dense clouds along the banks at dusk. Nightfishing is popular on the Tennessee river, but it is a little less effective for reasons unbecknowst to me on G'ville as compared to Wilson or Wheeler lakes. There are some smallmouth, and they get large, but they are a rarity compared to the numbers of smallies you will get downstream.

This is one of the most beautiful parts of the lake, up river you see the foothills of the appalachian mountains which soon become the smokies - its called the tennessee river divide.

Last edited by WTL; 05-06-08 at 10:41 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.