Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-10, 07:25 AM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
All the lakes around me don't have any vegetation to speak of (TVA impoundments). Is there any other type places to fish a frog?
There are a few who will work a frog in open water. A walk-the-dog type retrieve is one of the more popular. I'd imagine a popping frog (like Spro's) would work well too.

Even if there's no weeds, fishing frogs around docks can be effective too. They're fairly easy to skip underneath the docks too.

BB
Old 09-29-10, 10:12 AM   #27
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As for rigging get screw lock hooks,run the frog all the way up to the eye,then bring hook back up thru the slit,can skin hook if necessary.Most times you arnt getting fish because many times they dont take it just show themselves,drop or stop action on the bait,they will pick it up off the bottom,just like a worm if hitting that way.When hitting right not much different than a buzzbait bite.Also vary the retrieve sometimes they want it slower,pop it every now and then with the rod tip.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 12:21 PM   #28
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I got back out on the water yesterday to try the frog again and had better success with the hook set. There were a few "short hits" ...or fish rising only to look at the frog, but I landed most of the fish that hit the frog whole-heartedily. The fish weren't as aggressive as they were Saturday, probably because I was fishing mid-day. Also it was very sunny and calm and I was fishing very shallow water (less than 2 feet) The fish seemed to be in the small pocket of open water between a weed-bed and shore. Saturday when the fish were really hitting I think the rain helped minimize the "Ker-Plop" of the toad landing in the water. Casting up on shore and draging the frog into the water seemed to work well were that was possible. Over-all it wasn't an ideal day or situtation to fish a frog, I had better luck with a spinner-bait; but it was good to know I can catch fish on the frog!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 05:17 PM   #29
dave0943

I haven't used the Money Frog but have used the Money Craw. Love the Craw. I can tell you the two frogs I do use is the Horney toad in Green Pumpkin, Black and Cabela's Aqua Tommy in Green The Horney Toad is on of my favorite all time baits. I rig with a Gamakatsu 4/0 ewg hook and catch many SM and LM bass. I've had great success with the Black color up North here. Both of these frogs hold up pretty good. I've used other brands that have been good at catching fish, but tear up pretty fast. If the Money Frog is anything like the Money Craw, I'm sure it has to be a decent bait. Give the Horney Toad a try though. Awesome! Bt the way, I use these frogs in open water and in the salad. I also use a weighted hook if I want to drop the frog a little deeper.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 12:48 PM   #30
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
People love frog baits in general. I've only used a few, and never the money frog. They look pretty nice. I use the Zoom Horny Toad or Strike King Rage Tail Toad.
BB
I've become a recent fan of the Zoom Horny Toad and I picked up a pack of the Strike King Rage Tail Toad. I don't like the Strike King Toads as well as the Zoom Horny Toads. Occasionally a smaller bass will pull the leg off my Zoom Toads and the Strike King Toads have more substantial legs. I thought I would like the heavier legs, but they don't have near the action that the Zoom toads have. If I slow or even stop my retrieve with the Zoom toad, it will slowly sink and the legs continue to flutter, but the Strike King's leg quit fluttering on a slow retrieve.
Old 10-26-10, 01:58 PM   #31
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I've become a recent fan of the Zoom Horny Toad and I picked up a pack of the Strike King Rage Tail Toad. I don't like the Strike King Toads as well as the Zoom Horny Toads. Occasionally a smaller bass will pull the leg off my Zoom Toads and the Strike King Toads have more substantial legs. I thought I would like the heavier legs, but they don't have near the action that the Zoom toads have. If I slow or even stop my retrieve with the Zoom toad, it will slowly sink and the legs continue to flutter, but the Strike King's leg quit fluttering on a slow retrieve.
Hmmm, that's exactly the opposite of what I've found. The Rage Tails are much "louder" and cause a lot more commotion than the Horny Toads.

Silly question...are you pulling the "feet" apart, where it loops around and attaches back to the "thigh?" There's a little connecting piece of rubber there that I guess helps in shipping, but you need to break it before use so the foot can flop around during retrieve.
Old 10-26-10, 05:52 PM   #32
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Hmmm, that's exactly the opposite of what I've found. The Rage Tails are much "louder" and cause a lot more commotion than the Horny Toads.

Silly question...are you pulling the "feet" apart, where it loops around and attaches back to the "thigh?" There's a little connecting piece of rubber there that I guess helps in shipping, but you need to break it before use so the foot can flop around during retrieve.
X2

In my experience the Rage Toads cause a lot more commotion than the Horny Toads. The Rage Shad even more than the Toads.
Old 04-06-11, 10:14 AM   #33
IowaBasser

I'm re-reading some of my old posts. It's been 6 months... I barely remember fishing the Rage Toads. I'll have to give them a second chance! My guess is that I was fishing the frogs as slow as I could: the horny toads legs were thinner and might have had more action at the slower retrieve than the rage tails? I'll let ya know in a couple weeks when I get back out on the water more.
Old 04-19-11, 03:43 PM   #34
Kendragon
BassFishin.Com Member

I know this is an old post, but STanley has since come out with double frog kooks. They are much similar to the hooks in the hollow body frogs. I hardly use horny toads anymore, due to wind, thats when the ribbits seem to work better. You cork screw the hook, then place the two shanks in the back of the legs, then they rest on the frog. These new hooks have greatly improved my hooksets. As for spro frogs, too high and I lost my popping one which was an awesome bait in open water or slop. Academy has some brands H2O xpress much like spros and half the price. Pick up the natural color in the small and watch what happens!!!!
Kendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 04:20 PM   #35
DaveW731

Default Sizmic Toads rule!

Check out Sizmic floating poppin' toad (Cabela's has them). Cheap, effective, floats, pops, buzzes and can finesse it in the weeds.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.