Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-06, 02:55 PM   #1
DBake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default To Texas Rig or to Jig?

From what I know, which could me completely wrong is that you fish Texas Rig and Jigs in the same areas. So when do you guys decided to do one or the other? Different season? Different time of day? What?

Useing trailers on jigs a must?
DBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 03:13 PM   #2
Futurepro22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

You can use them both in the same area. A t-rig lets you change baits until you find what the fish want.. It maybe a worm, lizard, tube.. As to when to fsih one.. its personal preference and confidence.. i have more confidence in a t-rigged tube than i do a jig, so i use a tube more than a jig.. You dont always have to use a trailer. All a trailer does is add bulk/profile to a bait, and if using a worm as a trailer can be used swimmin a jig.
Old 03-22-06, 03:28 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Use a jig when the cover is too thick or heavy for a texas rigged worm to penetrate
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 05:15 PM   #4
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

well.....being from Texas.....hehehehehe.....i think the texas rig is the way to go for all conditions.....even if the cover is thick i put on a texas rig and swim it across the cover...they'll jump on it.....betursweetbass and i gave the weed beds a fit this fall out at fayetteville ....those bass loved the 5 inch tiki sticks we were offering....that's fishing them without a weight.....if you want to penetrate the cover add a tungsten bullet weight and it will go in......just my humble opinion.....hehehehehe....
Old 03-22-06, 05:49 PM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

DBake, Use both in the same area, It can put a couple of extra fish in the boat by using 2 different profiled lures through the same area.Many different types of trailers are a must have as far as I am concerned.The trailer determines the profile size of the jig as well as control the rate of fall. I would not fish the same weight when fishing a worm back through the area I just fished a jig, I would try a weightless worm or a split shot rigged worm.Crimp the split shot 18" up the line from the worm to give the fish a different look.The only bad times to fish a jig is when they are feeding on bait fish or its overcasted or lowlight condition.The bass are scattered and are not structure oriented in these conditions.I hope this helps. The jig will still catch fish in those conditions I mention that are bad times, but you will have to work harder and will not be able to pattern them. I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 07:21 PM   #6
rrw4258

i really dont have much confidence in a jig so i usually fish a texas rig with 1/16 to 3/8 oz. weight...

Ryan
Old 03-22-06, 08:15 PM   #7
bass kicker

so far i fish a worm more then a jig but i plan to change that

adding a trailor to your jig makes it easier to skip under dock with a jig
Old 03-22-06, 09:16 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Another factor is water temp. A jig seems to produce more in colder water. As far as where to fish them like PnJ I fish both in the same area. I particurlarly like to fish a jig in flooded timber. I love to throw a jigover a flooded treetop and work it back through the branches which is a big reason I fish a jig on braid. As far as a trailer goes, you don't have to use one, but you are really selling yourself short of you don't. I match the color of the jig and the trailer, but every so often a contrasting trailer can pay off.
Old 03-22-06, 09:27 PM   #9
bass kicker

we throw every thing in the same cover but thanks that helps me a bit to
Old 03-22-06, 10:00 PM   #10
HulaPopr

I defenitely fish worms a lot more than jigs, but I'm gonna try fishing jigs this summer. I know some ideal spots for jig fishing in the summer at a few lakes around my house, its a skill I'm working on.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 12:08 AM   #11
lizardsrule

They both catch fish. The jig is a valuble tool for me, along with a t-rig(both weigthless and weighted. I can't belive PNJ had anything bad to say about a jig though, I mean put a white one on, and put a fluke as trailer LOL. or just swim the dang thing like a crank.
Old 03-23-06, 07:28 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
DBake, Use both in the same area, It can put a couple of extra fish in the boat by using 2 different profiled lures through the same area.Many different types of trailers are a must have as far as I am concerned.The trailer determines the profile size of the jig as well as control the rate of fall. I would not fish the same weight when fishing a worm back through the area I just fished a jig, I would try a weightless worm or a split shot rigged worm.Crimp the split shot 18" up the line from the worm to give the fish a different look.The only bad times to fish a jig is when they are feeding on bait fish or its overcasted or lowlight condition.The bass are scattered and are not structure oriented in these conditions.I hope this helps. The jig will still catch fish in those conditions I mention that are bad times, but you will have to work harder and will not be able to pattern them. I hope this helps. P N J
You and Rebbasser have said it all. PNJ oughta be called the jigmaster, I have gained some VERY good knowledge from him on jigs. Thought I was a pretty fair jig tosser then ole PNJ gave me some insight and my bite ratio picked up.
Old 03-23-06, 09:01 AM   #13
JB

Ya here everyone say they fish a worm more than a jig, makes ya wonder why not throw the jig? if they aren't used to seeing one...one the other side of the coin, I know many that fish weed choked ponds and the jig hangs up more...
The fishing industry over the last 5 years has really pushed these craw imitation plastics, tubes, sweet beavers, etc, along with media coverage of pros using them..the ribbon tail worm is on the back burner these days..well except the classic winners this year lol
Old 03-23-06, 10:58 AM   #14
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I will fish a T-rig and jig in the same areas. For me it depends on what I'm trying to catch. If I mainly want bigger fish I'll throw the jig. If I want numbers I'll throw a 4"-6" worm. You can catch big or small fish on either but that's how I approach it most of the time.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 01:48 PM   #15
skeeter944

i plan to use a jig in my weed choked pond,but had exelllent success on a t rig last year and some this year.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 01:53 PM   #16
DBake
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
They both catch fish. The jig is a valuble tool for me, along with a t-rig(both weigthless and weighted. I can't belive PNJ had anything bad to say about a jig though, I mean put a white one on, and put a fluke as trailer LOL. or just swim the dang thing like a crank.
Do you use the same rod/reel/line set up when fishing t-rig weighted and weightless?

I assume by your name you like to t-rig lizards as well? What about craws?
DBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 02:22 PM   #17
JB

same equipment used for weight or weightless worms, however I always use a bullet sinker if I am texas riggin a craw, it keeps the tail at the bottom and makes the pinchers reaching up, like a crawdad in defense mode.
Old 03-23-06, 11:17 PM   #18
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBake
Do you use the same rod/reel/line set up when fishing t-rig weighted and weightless?

I assume by your name you like to t-rig lizards as well? What about craws?
Actually I really pitch a whole lot more nowadays than I ever did before. So I use a Shimano Castaic Baitcaster paired with a 7' Medium Heavy or Heavy rod, and PowerPro braid for use on weighted t-rigs or PNJ's. I will use a Spinning reel, Quantum Pulse 40 with Fireline paired with a 6'6" Medium Heavy for all my weightless plastics. Weightless plastics I just gotta skip , and skip, and skip LOL. There's really not enough room here for me to talk about evertythong I do, everyone has their favorites, these have been very successful techniques and equipment for me. Let's just say I only own 1 rod that goes with me Bassin, that is a Medium, and that's my Cranking rod, everything else is either MH, or Heavy. And He!! yes I t-rig Lizards

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.