Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-09, 10:20 PM   #1
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Shimano Curado 200 B5

Just won the bid on this bait caster on Ebay. Soooo, being a newbie, what recommendations for a rod to compliment this reel? Thanks
Old 01-04-09, 10:29 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First baitcaster? If so go with a 6-6 medium heavy action rod-that length/action will handle most applications and is a good all around setup.

Brand? I'd go handle a few and see which one feels right to you. I use Falcon rods almost exclusively-great rods that won't break the bank.
Old 01-04-09, 10:40 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Is that the new Curado E5 ? congratulations.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 06:38 AM   #4
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Is that the new Curado E5 ? congratulations.
The reason I asked was there is both.The older Curado B5 was the famous old green curado in a 5:1 gear ratio.They had a cult like following with this reel lineup.

Then they discontinued it in favor of a new Curado D design which was also a great reel, just heavier in weight and much different in design and price.They went from $119 to $199.99 and the 5:1 gear ratio curado was the CU200DPV model.The cult like following people abandoned the curado line up, basically due to weight & price difference.

Now they changed it again to the Curado E5. They made it green in color as the older great curado was & alot lighter in weight, smaller profile and knocked $20.00 off the price from the previous curado line up.

I don't think you can go wrong with either reel.

As Rebbasser mentioned, a 6'6" MH rod is an all around workhorse rod.Ivan
Old 01-05-09, 11:10 AM   #5
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Curado B

Yep, jnp, it's the B series I got on ebay. i tried searching thru google to find out when (date) it was produced to see how old it was and what the thinking was on it. i figured i got a good product cause alot of the Bassfishin guys have said lots of great things about this reel. So when was it produced? Is it truly a great reel? Hope to hear more soon. Thanks
Old 01-05-09, 11:38 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That's the old Bantam one correct? I've heard those were really good reels.

BB
Old 01-05-09, 02:52 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
The reason I asked was there is both.The older Curado B5 was the famous old green curado in a 5:1 gear ratio.They had a cult like following with this reel lineup.
i have a tourney partner that has probably 20 or so of these green curado's, it is the only baitcaster he uses. i have thrown his reels a few times and i like them but personally i don't like them as much as my revo's.

i too would recomend a medium heavy rod at whatever length feels comfortably to you, 6'6" is a good starting place. like mentioned above brand is totally up to you but i am a big falcon fan, in fact falcon is the only brand of rod i use any more.
Old 01-05-09, 03:08 PM   #8
Raul

The 200B5 model isnīt very old, a Curado 200B or 100B can be as old as 15 years, the Mean Green Fishing Machine appeared as the Mean Green in 1994, the Curado line is older than 14 years, the first Curado appeared in the late 80īs in a silver/grey reel that had a flipping switch on one side, that model lasted only for a couple of years, then appeared the Curado A model, it was black sideplates with a bright orange line in the middle of the reel, that line lasted only 3 years, in 1994 the Mean Green was born, I purchased my first one then. Later the reel remained unchanged with only 2 series ( 200 & 100 ) for about 10 years, then about 5 years ago Shimano launched different versions of the old venerable one:

Curado 200/201 BSF
Curado 200/201 B5
Curado 200/201 B38

So the oldest reels of those versions canīt be over 5 years old.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 05:47 PM   #9
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i have a tourney partner that has probably 20 or so of these green curado's, it is the only baitcaster he uses. i have thrown his reels a few times and i like them but personally i don't like them as much as my revo's.

i too would recomend a medium heavy rod at whatever length feels comfortably to you, 6'6" is a good starting place. like mentioned above brand is totally up to you but i am a big falcon fan, in fact falcon is the only brand of rod i use any more.
So which Falcon model; there seem to be a few to choose from.
Old 01-05-09, 06:12 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

personally i really like the cara line the best, but they are a little more expensive than the lowriders and quite a little more than the originals. for some reason the lowriders don't feel comfortable to me, they are a good rod that a lot of guys like so don't rule them out based on my opinion. i also like the originals. they are a very good rod and priced right. there are several mh rods in each line to choose from so you should be able to find one that suits you very well.
Old 01-05-09, 06:54 PM   #11
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyukody View Post
Yep, jnp, it's the B series I got on ebay. i tried searching thru google to find out when (date) it was produced to see how old it was and what the thinking was on it. i figured i got a good product cause alot of the Bassfishin guys have said lots of great things about this reel. So when was it produced? Is it truly a great reel? Hope to hear more soon. Thanks
I keep track of what reels I do for local bass club people. I cleaned 5 CU200B5 reels in January of 2001. The guy fishes new reels, every few years he buys new so it should give a time frame to fall into. I can't remember if the Curado D series came out in 2006 or not.I know they were right in that time frame because I have a 2005 Japanese Shimano scorpion metanium XT which is a previous japanese version of the US Chronarch D series reel. I bought a Chronarch D in 2007 but I can't remember if it was the first year of the reel in the US or not.

That would put the Curado 200B5 in 2000 to 2005 time frame give or take a year.If you decide that you don't like it, I am interested in it , should you decide to sell it. P N J

P.S Also they came with a red and a green weights for the reel.The green are heavier and work better than the red, so depending what you get with the reel, I might be able to help you out, but see what you get first.
Old 01-05-09, 07:02 PM   #12
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
That's the old Bantam one correct? I've heard those were really good reels.

BB

BB, I had the old Bantam Curados.The very first ones I had were red in color instead of green. P N J
Old 01-05-09, 07:04 PM   #13
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I keep track of what reels I do for local bass club people. I cleaned 5 CU200B5 reels in January of 2001. The guy fishes new reels, every few years he buys new so it should give a time frame to fall into. I can't remember if the Curado D series came out in 2006 or not.I know they were right in that time frame because I have a 2005 Japanese Shimano scorpion metanium XT which is a previous japanese version of the US Chronarch D series reel. I bought a Chronarch D in 2007 but I can't remember if it was the first year of the reel in the US or not.

That would put the Curado 200B5 in 2000 to 2005 time frame give or take a year.If you decide that you don't like it, I am interested in it , should you decide to sell it. P N J

P.S Also they came with a red and a green weights for the reel.The green are heavier and work better than the red, so depending what you get with the reel, I might be able to help you out, but see what you get first.

Thanks all. I'll keep you informed. Also where's the best price on Falcon rods?
Old 01-05-09, 08:03 PM   #14
pig n jig

Looking at the lowrider series LBF is about $5.00 cheaper than 2 other places I checked.I am not up on Falcon, I did like the original and the lowrider series but never owned anything newer such as the cara or expert series. P N J

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...name&sort2=asc
Old 01-05-09, 08:25 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

i generally buy my rods from bass pro or academy but sometimes you can find good deals on them at tackle warehouse and some other places on the internet so shop around.
Old 01-05-09, 08:28 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

pnj there are some pretty good prices on that link.
Old 01-05-09, 08:28 PM   #17
JB

I've ordered all of my rods and reels from bps, nothing like seeing some small boxes and tubes on your front porch in about 5 days
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 06:28 AM   #18
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
pnj there are some pretty good prices on that link.
I order there quite a bit.The weird thing is you may get 2 or 3 packages per order because the stuff will often come direct from the products company instead of one package from the LBF store. P N J
Old 01-06-09, 09:57 AM   #19
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Great info. Thanks! Will keep my eyes open.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.