Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-11, 04:59 PM   #26
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Kastmasters are typically salt water baits (I use them for summer fluke and blue fish) and the hooks aren't that sharp. Switch the hooks out immediately if you're bass or trout fishing. Any large tackle shop with salt water baits will have a supply.
There are other spoon type baits that you can use.....Hopkins or a Silver Buddy for example.
Old 05-17-11, 06:03 PM   #27
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
Believe me Bama if I had a net these bass better watch out but how in hell am I supposed to chuck it 50 yds?
Bama's recommendation is actually a solid one.

It is actually very easy to chuck out a rooster tail. Carolina rig it (in its basic form, i.e., weight in front of the hook).

You can use any suitable weight and tie it to the mainline. Then take about a 2' leader... attach one end to the weight and the other to the rooster tail. I reckon a 1/2 weight would do the trick.

I'd also try some spoons.
Old 05-18-11, 08:30 AM   #28
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Kastmasters are typically salt water baits (I use them for summer fluke and blue fish) and the hooks aren't that sharp. Switch the hooks out immediately if you're bass or trout fishing. Any large tackle shop with salt water baits will have a supply.
There are other spoon type baits that you can use.....Hopkins or a Silver Buddy for example.
yes the hooks on those things are the best quality. i just bought some more from dicks sporting goods....not exactly the cheapest but only bought 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Bama's recommendation is actually a solid one.

It is actually very easy to chuck out a rooster tail. Carolina rig it (in its basic form, i.e., weight in front of the hook).

You can use any suitable weight and tie it to the mainline. Then take about a 2' leader... attach one end to the weight and the other to the rooster tail. I reckon a 1/2 weight would do the trick.

I'd also try some spoons.
never tried c-rigging before. would it work on such a shallow pond? & i'm not quite sure what u & bama mean by rooster tail. are u referring to the trailer hooks with the feathers or the brand "rooster tail" for trout fishing? i have the kasmaster spoons with a rooster tail trebble but the jumping bass aren't going for anything i throw at them. this particular bass is jumping through lilly pads vertically into the air. from 40 -50 yds away it looks huge & i estimate it to be in the double digit range. still havent tried the fluke yet but in all honesty i've never seen a single shad in this pond. punching gear perhaps?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 08:49 AM   #29
MississippiBoy

He's talking about in-line spinnerbaits, which are often called roostertails because that's a popular brand...kind of like "jet ski...." that's a brand of personal watercraft, but everybody knows what you're talking about.
http://www.basspro.com/Freshwater-Fi...11dbv#Category
Old 05-18-11, 09:18 AM   #30
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

gotcha thanks
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 01:27 PM   #31
Brwnbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I had the same thing happen to me last week here in TN on norris lake. Smallmouth busting everywhere. Wouldnt touch a topwater bait,a fluke or crankbait. Threw a crocodile spoon past the break, reeled it to them & let it flutter down. They would kill it on the fall. I also found that a senko texas rigged with no weight will get more bites & casts a LONG way on a med/hvy fast action spinning rod with 8lb line.
Old 06-02-11, 04:04 PM   #32
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
Believe me Bama if I had a net these bass better watch out but how in hell am I supposed to chuck it 50 yds?

HAHAHA Agreed

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.