Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-10, 12:20 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Nitro Z-7?

I just wanted to post a simple question... Does anyone own one of these or fish out of one? As a lot of you guys know I was forced to sell my boat not too long ago due to financial reasons.. however, things with my wife/family have improved a lot over the last few months and things are looking good for spring '11 for a new ride.. I've been doing a lot of price and fact checking on a lot of new/used rigs out there and for the money the Nitro z7 really fits my needs and from the reviews I've read seems like a great all around boat.
Old 12-03-10, 02:21 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Watch the advertisements and check the included motor, especially. Nitro/Tracker is NOTORIOUS in underpowering their boats to keep the advertised price low. Once you get them powered to comparable other brands, their price point is a lot closer. I will admit the Nitro Z-boats look much better in quality than the NITRO boats of old. I think they build a decent boat, service from BPS if you purchase new - from what I've heard - is pretty poor. The Z-7 is and 18' boat? If so, I wouldn't put less than a 150HP on the back and it may possibly be rated for up to 175HP. From the advertisements I've seen in the BPS flyers, they usually are offered with 115HP outboards - that would be disapointing from a performance point of view.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 02:54 PM   #3
jasonfish320

The Z7 is an 18'6 and comes standard with a 150 OptiMax and is rated up to 200. I have looked at exactly what I want for upgrades and the Z line is still the best value. I have been in contact with phoenix boats dealers as well and I have not been completely thrilled about their customer service thus far. Pricing quotes are not readily available and I've waited a month to get a price on one of the 618's.
Old 12-03-10, 04:50 PM   #4
bassboogieman

If it's rigged with a 150 Opti, that will be fine. I'm surprised at the 200HP rating, that's a lot for a boat that size, usually 200HP is for the 19' boats. The Phoenix 618 is relatively new, I haven't seen anything under a 19' in the Phoenix so far, heard they were going to make one, also have heard a lot of praise for their Cust Serv, you're the first negative. Phoenix would be something I'd like if I was buying another, AND if they had a dealership closer than 4 states away. All that aside, I fished several years out of an 18'6" boat powered by a 150HP, did just fine until the waves hit about 3'. If you've found what you like in a Z-7, I sure you'll be happy with it............... ME? if it's rated for 200HP, I'd HAVE TO HAVE IT.
Old 12-03-10, 11:44 PM   #5
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Can't really offer any advice, but last spring I was in the Vegas BPS, looking at a Nitro. JUST looking.
The salesman comes over and asks "Can I help you?". My reply? "I wish!"
Old 12-04-10, 10:14 AM   #6
MIbasser

Take a look over at bbc.com. You will get a lot of answers in the Nitro forum on the setups. Also in the forsale section you can find some great deals. Good luck with the search!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 06:50 PM   #7
yammy969
BassFishin.Com Member

hey basser are you sure on the bbc.com, i get something totally not fishing
yammy969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 07:09 PM   #8
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammy969 View Post
hey basser are you sure on the bbc.com, i get something totally not fishing
Sorry, I didn't want to take away from this sight but it's bassboatcentral - BBC for short.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 09:24 PM   #9
bamabassman

Yes yammy, it is another fishing site. NOT as ood as this one, but you can get some good info from others that own your type of boat.
Old 12-08-10, 10:46 PM   #10
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
I have been in contact with phoenix boats dealers as well and I have not been completely thrilled about their customer service thus far. Pricing quotes are not readily available and I've waited a month to get a price on one of the 618's.
I think every boat manufacturer is slow on the take when it comes to drawing up quotations. I have had the same experience with another manufacturer (Bass Cat), but am willing to look past the quotation limitations because I know the customer service after ownership is second to none. I am sure my constant equipment loading and configuration questions to them is a resource drain.

I have heard really good things about the customer service at Phoenix too, I wouldn't give up on them so quick. They might not be there for you in getting in the boat, but will be once you are. Go over to Bass Boat Central and ask those guys on the Phoenix forum (http://www.bbcboards.net/zeroforum?id=223). They should help you out.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 10:48 PM   #11
CiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Yes yammy, it is another fishing site. NOT as ood as this one, but you can get some good info from others that own your type of boat.
+1 You get a lot friendlier people on this forum. People willing to help on technique and strategy. Some forums you might never get an answer to a question.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 06:36 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
NOT as ood as this one, but you can get some good info from others that own your type of boat
I THINK that's a typo (with the first letter missing), but it's also true and funny as all get out.
Old 12-09-10, 06:54 PM   #13
yammy969
BassFishin.Com Member

im thinking of upgrading next year to a z-8 is why i was wanting to see what other owners have said about it. yeah i know its hard to get answers about fishing..lol group of guys that fish all the time i work with thinks its top secret info when it comes to fishing.
yammy969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-10, 01:58 PM   #14
Vegasspider

Take it from a guy who has owned a few top of the line Rangers and top of the line Nitro's. Powered right, you can't beat a Nitro and the service. I have never had a problem with BPS service. Given the times, I am sticking with a proven company that will be around and that is Tracker via BPS.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 11:58 PM   #15
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

My brother in law bought one last year and I bought the Nitro 189 Sport. It does come with the 150 OptiMax and I am quite impressed with it. If you are looking to cut corners, try getting one without hyd steering. Good looking boat with plenty of fishing deck, storage, dual consoles. You will also want to upgrade to a 24v trolling motor because if I remember right they only come standard with a 12v.

Overall, Nitro boats are an excellent buy, smooth riding, reasonably priced. Good luck!
Bass Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 07:27 PM   #16
G-Man

Dear JasonFish320
Well what was the final decision??
I have been looking at bass boats all month and am leaning towards the Nitro Z8- Most boat for the dollar. ( I think??)
My thinking is its worth a little more money for the space.
What did you decide??
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 07:42 PM   #17
nofearengineer

G-Man, I took a long hard look at a Z-8 at a BPS store, and it was an amazing boat, even for what they were listing it at.

I will second that Tracker does have a bit of a (well-deserved) reputation for under-powering their boats. I have an 18'2" with a 115 on it that is a bit of a dog out of the hole. I like it, but it needs more oomph for sure.
Old 12-30-10, 11:43 PM   #18
MississippiBoy

Quick sidebar...Bryce, have you tried playing with your setup to improve your holeshot? Different prop, change the engine height, add PVS holes, etc? You might could see some improvement if you try something like that.
Old 01-07-11, 07:10 PM   #19
Vegasspider

I know have a brand new Z9 still in plastic 2011 model. It just came in, I will post some pics before and after the wrap. I am like a little kid and wont be able to sleep tonight.....
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 07:38 PM   #20
tarpon120

Vegas I know the feeling, Always been this way, just go in the garage walk around and touch, show it off to your wife and you'll feel better.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.