Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-04, 06:39 PM   #1
Clayton_Cleve
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Clayton_Cleve
Default Kayak fishing - now I'm a member!

I posted this message before I read the topic saying that guests shouldn't post messages...so now I'm a member.

I have an inflatable kayak that I bought to haul back to the back country fishing holes. I've taken it out to test it, but it seems too unstable to fish from. Anyone try fishing from a kayak? Any tips? Thanks.

C.
Clayton_Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 08:22 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Kayak fishing - now I'm a member!

welcome to the board charlie..i never fished from a kayak(probably never will)sorry can't help you there.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 07:50 AM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I've never fished from a Kayak either ??? I'm guessing you already answered your own question, it's too unstable to fish from. Perhaps if you bought a raft instead that would help out more. But if you want to fish, you'll figure it out And welcome to the site.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 12:36 PM   #4
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

I've seen Hank Parker fish from a kayak, don't try to stand up, use light tackle also!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 03:31 PM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I think the kind of inflatable kayak you're talking about is a little better than a beach toy, but not much. When I was a lot younger I tried fishing out of an "inflatable boat", myself. It too was junk. A truck inner tube would have been better and a lot cheaper.

You might want to consider a "belly boat" for places like you're talking about. They're not expensive, and even inflated certainly aren't heavy. (they're probably somewhat bulky and awkward, but a good packframe should help that.

I'm thinking about getting a hard shell kayak for fishing a smallmouth river near me.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 04:50 PM   #6
Clayton_Cleve
BassFishin.Com Member

There are kayak fishing sites that I've found, but nearly all of them are for sea fishing. There are pics out there of guys hauling in sharks on a kayak, so I know it is possible.
Old 08-10-04, 05:16 PM   #7
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

CHARLIE,

If you want to haul in a shark in a kayak, be my guest! Just leave an address as to where to mail the scraps that the sharks leave behind.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 05:18 PM   #8
Clayton_Cleve
BassFishin.Com Member

hehe....I'm strictly a bass-man. I'll leave jaws to the pros.
Old 08-12-04, 02:05 PM   #9
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

People catch 150 pound 'poons out of kayaks.
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 11:26 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

never fished out of a kayak. try one of them hydrobikes i heard there real good i might get one so i dont have to stick to shore or dock fishing they can get u through 12'' of water and real quite to good for bass fishin i dont no how much they cost but no more than a 100 dollars i dont think sorry but i dont have any links cheak out another thread
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 06:22 PM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I don't use a kayak, but fish from a canoe all the time. You should probably use light tackle, and don't stand cause a kayak is less stable than a canoe. Or you could get one of those float tubes that cajun mentioned.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 01:09 AM   #12
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Let the MAN handle this one! lol

What you need to do is put a stabilizer arm out from the side, or both side. But I think one will do. Look at the canoe's they use in Hawaii the one they take out into the ocean. this will help you stay stable in the water. Use something light, and put it inside while you carry your kayak. if not use your paddle to stable yourself.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 02:38 PM   #13
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

hmmm inflatable kyack how the f#### is he gonna put a stabalizer arm or catermeran type float on it??? well inflatables are junk alota the time but all kyacks will feel unstable tell you get used to them after all they are ment to roll over and then back up. if your smart about your fishing though you can get away with it. casting strait of to the side is bad. point your kayack in the general area your fishing fish no more than about 30-45 degres of either side of the bow. if you get snagged and have to either ripp it out or break it off turn directly towards the line direction. but beore useing it much you need to practiceboth purposley rolling it over and escaping and rolling over and recovering with your paddle. otherwise your heading for trouble when it happens and your not ready for it. ;D
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-04, 01:29 PM   #14
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Charlie,
You might be able to ask this question on this site, www.indianasmallmouth.com These guys fish a lot of rivers and I know some of them use kayaks.
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-04, 02:20 PM   #15
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I have fished from a kayak in mobile bay and I thought it was a great way to get around. I think an inflatable kayak would probably lack a lot of the rigitidy of a real one, so yea you might as well be trying to fish out of one of those floating pool chairs. I have also done the raft thing which is a great idea until you try it. The float tube is simple and it works ok, but it will wear you out if you try to cover a lot of water. I think I'm gonna look to buy a larger kayak at some point, I hear they are great for floating smallie rivers. Kayaks are the best when it comes to getting into the tightest spots. This summer I squeezed a kayak through a chute of water that was 6 inches deep and 12 inches wide and made it back into a swamp. There is no other craft that can do that.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-04, 02:33 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

is charlie still even on this site. anyways if he is then i would still go with the hydro bike. they r really stable and u can stand up on either side of the bike i will try to find a site that they r on
Old 09-28-04, 02:40 PM   #17
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

[ftp]http://www.hydrobikes.com/Hydrobike_Video/Products/Explorer_I/Explorer_P ics/explorer_pics.html [/ftp]

this is the site
Old 10-03-04, 07:22 AM   #18
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Wife and I have fished from kayaks for several years now. We have the SIT (sit-in-type) recreational kayaks and haven't tipped over yet. Hers is a 10 Foot Walden Naturalist and mine is a 12 foot Perception Sundance model. Both work well and are stable with no tipovers yet. Another possibility is a SOT (sit-on-top) which can work well also. The advantage of a SOT is that if you do tip over, the sot is easier to climb back onto in the water. Both of our kayaks work well for protected waters, but not for current conditions, especially when hitting the slower waters after speeding through riffles in the rivers......they turn unavoidably and plane sideways making it impossible to control.

The fishing aspect is super......quiet, easy to manipulate, the stealth factor is excellent. Both sit low to the water and are minimally affected by the wind. Each weighs in the neighborhood of 45 pounds and if you would make a bicycle wheeled trailer, you can pull them along most anywhere you can easily walk. Private message me if you have any further questions. Good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.