Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-19-11, 07:31 PM   #26
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

drop shot on spinning outfit. drop shot catches fish under a lot of conditions. you want to build confidence. Some simple instruction should get him going in the right direction
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 11:20 AM   #27
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What could be more simple (and productive) than a senko or Ika pitched around docks or weed edges and dragged slowly on the bottom? Let him catch some fish and gain confidence, then he'll get curious about other ways to catch'em.
Old 08-23-11, 12:17 PM   #28
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

as mike said thats what gave me confindenceusing dingers wacky, then i caught a few on buzz, know i am trying spinner bait and chatters as well, once in a while i will through a crank, i cant seem to get nothing from them
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 01:04 PM   #29
JustinCTPA
BassFishin.Com Member

As had been said, any of these techniques can be learned pretty quickly and all can be effective. I am very curious to know if you're friend has caught a bass yet?
JustinCTPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 08:01 AM   #30
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All these replies are good but i can't believe only one person even briefly mentioned cranks. New fisherman need confidence !!! Hand this guy a silver shad rap #5 or 7 and just tell him to cast and reel. No thinking...no special skills...no bite detection...no hook setting decisions...no idle time just sitting staring at his line...he's always doing something...but its never the wrong something. Unless you take him to a wastewater treatment pond or the middle of the densest timber in the lake he will catch some fish-his confidence will go through the roof and then you can introduce him to the rest of his tacklebox.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 06:13 PM   #31
Dogmatic

I was going to say, like others have said, spinner bait, or t-rigged senko, but after thinking about it, wouldn't a crank bait pretty easy? No line watching, no retrieve variables, just cast out and reel back to boat, and the hook sets are a lot easier. The feed ,back is much more positive too.(?)oops! Didn't read the last post.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 08:02 PM   #32
Tavery5

Welcome to the site Dogmatic. When I first read your responce I was like I guess a crankbait would be an easy bait for someone new to fish. But after I thought it through, I started asking myself, which one, which crank, what color, what depth, which type of bill, rattle or no rattle, flat sided, or fat. Crankbait fishing also tends to be a little more equipment critical than some other techniques, usually being fished on moderate action rods, reels with low gear ratios and line that sinks. Also what if the area the guy is in has moss or weeds. While I agree that the retrieve of a crankbait is easy, the decision process for which crank at what depth and all that, along with rod and reel selection make it more difficult to me than a Senko.

Again welcome, look forward to hearing from you.
Old 08-31-11, 08:55 PM   #33
kennethdaysale

Hey T5 Good Points all. However the moss issue notwithstanding (find the edge?) ..whether the guy was fishing with a Zebco 202 spooled with whatever crap came with it bolted to 10' fiberglass "noodle" rod or a Steez on a G Loomis I'd still tie them on a Shad Rap and have full confidence in a good outcome.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 12:31 AM   #34
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Shad rap would a great starting crank! I used to love throwing shad raps.

I think any ol rod will work for those cranks. Not a whole lot of drag, so no need for a low speed reel IMO. Not to mention they plain ol catch fish!

Only problem I see with cranks is like tav pointed out. The simplicity of them is some what limited. I can see him really being overwhelmed when he goes to the store to buy his own.
Old 09-01-11, 11:31 AM   #35
Dogmatic

Lets face it when it comes to selecting color for cranks...baby bass, bluegill, craw and shad.(When it comes to size, refer to Kevin's news letter today, TMB.) I have a new fishing partner, and he is a soft bait "one trick pony" type of guy, this season I handed him down an old crank bait rod with a few crank baits, and he's hooked, it's opened up a whole new chapter in fishing, and I have never seen him more excited..."It's the STRIKE MAN!". Now I just have to get him into top-water, he'll have a heart attack.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 11:46 AM   #36
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
"It's the STRIKE MAN!". Now I just have to get him into top-water, he'll have a heart attack.
You got that right. Fishing frogs in lilly pads will just about stop your heart.
Old 09-02-11, 07:26 PM   #37
Bob Smith

Mumpy, what part of GEorgia are you fishing. From Lake Sinclair northward a shakey head finesse worm will get you bit in the toughest of conditions. My grandkids have caught fish using this technique. In most of our waters down here a green pumpkin or watermelon candy color finesse worm on an 1/8 oz jig head will usually do the trick.
Old 09-07-11, 11:30 AM   #38
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

T-rigged 6" watermelon worm. the hardest thing about it is fishing it slow and watching for the creep.
Flippin TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 12:08 PM   #39
joedog

I starting grandkids on bass fishing (5yr old boy, 10yr old girl) this year. Have been using texas rigged worms (dinngers), weightless and poppers (skitter pops) and the kids have had great success. Both are extermly easy to fish , cover top to bottom, and top water strikes and catches to boot! Oh, using spinning gear as opposed to baitcast gear.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 01:01 AM   #40
Rev. Colt
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
I don't know about this Spinner Bait being the Second Easiest. I'm not sold. You have too many different styles of Blades and Colors that could take a new Fisherman and throw him off.

Wacky Rigged worm, one of two colors, one way to fish it, That's what I'm thinking....
I would not have him fish wacky because for a beginner I think he may get overanxious and not be patient and set the hook. He will more than likely jerk it out of the fishes mouth. This is the case especially if you are using the wacky rings and octopus circle hooks. I think I would just have him learn Texas rig. With a worm weight, he can cast it a mile and hide the hook and it should not get snagged very easily. Also, once he feels a bit, he can set the hook without fear of having the fish spat the bait or yank it away. I think this would be easy and fun for him.
Rev. Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 06:17 PM   #41
Victor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Victor

Rapala Rattlin, basic, simple and good fish finder.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 08:48 AM   #42
pittsburghbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I just started to teach myself bass fishing with artificials this summer, and the first thing I started with was t-rigged YUM dingers. Worked great... was easy and produced fish. It's still a go-to method for me, there just havent been other baits that produce like they did. I have now been able to catch bass on spinners, cranks, lipless cranks, and buzzbaits, but just not with the consistancy of soft plastics.

BTW, still havent gotten an update on your friend! How's he doing? And did you find a method that worked well??
pittsburghbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.