Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-11, 08:23 AM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default How addicted are you????

Hey yall....i'd like to know that i am not alone in this sickness(ECSTASY), that i am not the only one that has done things that regular humans just can't fathom. Example in 1982 i became obsessed with finding a better grip for my flipping sticks (anybody still use that term?) i was not happy with cork or hypalon. After hundreds of hours of research and phone calls (pre-internet) i tracked down this guy in california that made custom grips from hand tanned mole skins!!! I sent him my rods and $800 later i had the most perfect grips on the east coast. My (ex) wife told me that if i ever did anything that stupid again she was gonna file...of course i did and so did she....
C'mon you guys don't be shy..lets hear how your addiction has reared its wonderful head in your life. Everyone likes to know that they are not alone. Thanks ken
Old 09-04-11, 11:41 AM   #2
joedog

Well I'm with you Ken.I live in Wi. and no longer ice fish and I still spend about 225-275 days fishing. Now granted many days only for a hour or two, and when I'm not ,I'm usually planning the next day and how I can arrange my schedule so I can fish at least an hour. That may mean 3:30 am so I can get to work by7:30 but I usually find some time. When I was in collage had choice between a final or an early Tourney, tourney won and went from an A to c--!?! I read BassFishing.Com before I read E-mail daily for the last year or so, joined in June, first post week ago, but have been reading and following well over a year. There is an extreme amount of knowledge, talent and flat out artists (photography, pole building,lure painting) at this site and I'm honored to be a member! Oh ya, Kevin has to be one of the best if not the best site managers in the business!

Last edited by joedog; 09-04-11 at 12:23 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 03:10 PM   #3
Bob Smith

Can't top that one, Kenneth. I have been addicted to this sport for about 45 years now, but I can't say I ever did anything close to that.
Old 09-04-11, 06:38 PM   #4
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My goal in life is to buy 1 of each of everything made for fishing.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 06:53 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
Worthy aspiration!! However I wonder if anyone has ever caught more than one fish on a "Dancin Eel" ????(except for Bill himself fishing in one of those hyper-managed Bienvulle Plantation Ponds!!???)
Old 09-04-11, 06:59 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Worthy aspiration!! However I wonder if anyone has ever caught more than one fish on a "Dancin Eel" ????(except for Bill himself fishing in one of those hyper-managed Bienvulle Plantation Ponds!!???)
Not me! o_o
Old 09-04-11, 07:26 PM   #7
hookset on 3

I have actually done well with the dancing eel. I couple of farm ponds I frequent, the bass really whack 'em. It must look like a large tadpole to them.

hookset on 3
Old 09-04-11, 09:03 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset on 3 View Post
I have actually done well with the dancing eel. I couple of farm ponds I frequent, the bass really whack 'em. It must look like a large tadpole to them.

hookset on 3
I ran into a guy over on Guntersville last year that had three of them tied on separate rods and claimed that what was just about all he ever threw out there. Me? I threw it till the paint came off one on Lake Conroe in TExas back around 1980 and never did a lick of good with it.
Old 09-04-11, 09:26 PM   #9
bamabassman

how addicted am i? hmmmm.......well there are 3 things i do more than anything, fishing, watching football and TALKING bout both. but i have over 30 rods and reels, over $5,00.00 worht of baits and such. so i guess i am pretty addicted. already looking forward to next spring. the reasonis HOPEFULY i can do MORE fishing next year than this past year.

never even THOUGHT of trying the eel man. i got something BETTER than that..........HELICOPTER LURE SON!!! hahahaha!!!
Old 09-04-11, 10:33 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
how addicted am i? hmmmm.......well there are 3 things i do more than anything, fishing, watching football and TALKING bout both. but i have over 30 rods and reels, over $5,00.00 worht of baits and such. so i guess i am pretty addicted. already looking forward to next spring. the reasonis HOPEFULY i can do MORE fishing next year than this past year.

never even THOUGHT of trying the eel man. i got something BETTER than that..........HELICOPTER LURE SON!!! hahahaha!!!
Yeah I'd lump the Helicopter/Dancin Eel and Banjo minnow in the same worthless pile. I actually caught a 2 ft gator in the okefenokee swamp many years ago on the Helicopter!
Old 09-05-11, 02:43 AM   #11
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I caught a bunch of fish on the 3" banjo minnow but couldn't get a thing on the bigger ones. A guy I worked with used to catch tons of fish out of his ponds on the helicopter lure, it was the only thing the big ones would eat. I'm hopelessly addicted but limited by the amount of money I make.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 06:31 AM   #12
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
I caught a bunch of fish on the 3" banjo minnow but couldn't get a thing on the bigger ones. A guy I worked with used to catch tons of fish out of his ponds on the helicopter lure, it was the only thing the big ones would eat. I'm hopelessly addicted but limited by the amount of money I make.
Just more proof that the "blind hog" has developed a keen sense of smell. As far as money goes take heart...a recession can be a two edged sword. There are countless people out there now with a garage full of NICE gear they are happy to sell for pennies on the dollar just to make ends meet. It's a sad situation but a win/win nonetheless....they stay afloat and you get premium equip. for cheap. Ken
Old 09-05-11, 10:23 AM   #13
keithdog

I have to add myself to this crazy addiction too. Maybe obsessed is an even better word for it. Splitting hairs I know. And I might add that the bait monkey has found great favor in me too! Lucky for me, my wife come from a family where the father was addicted to fishing as well and so she supports my adiction 100% within reason, lol. Once winter settles in and the lake becomes a blanket of ice and snow, I begin going through withdrawls much like an alchaholic trying to clean up. I'll even get out to make a few casts from shore if there is a brief mid winter warmup where 100 feet of shoreline temporarily opens up before freezing over again.
Old 09-05-11, 01:17 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

Hey Keith....I've got friends in NY who manage to survive the winter DT's by doing the hard water fishing thing. I spent a few days up there last winter ice fishing with them...and felt like an absolute idiot hunkered down over a hole holding a "chop stick".....then all H*** broke loose...Bluegill...Walleye...Pike.... amazing how much it seemed to warm up.
Old 09-05-11, 05:21 PM   #15
keithdog

Well I've been try over and over to attach a photo to a reply here but the photo for some reason won't attach even though it uploads ok. Soooo, I'll try it in another post. grrrrr
Old 09-14-11, 03:09 PM   #16
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I have to add myself to this crazy addiction too. Maybe obsessed is an even better word for it. Splitting hairs I know. And I might add that the bait monkey has found great favor in me too! Lucky for me, my wife come from a family where the father was addicted to fishing as well and so she supports my adiction 100% within reason, lol. Once winter settles in and the lake becomes a blanket of ice and snow, I begin going through withdrawls much like an alchaholic trying to clean up. I'll even get out to make a few casts from shore if there is a brief mid winter warmup where 100 feet of shoreline temporarily opens up before freezing over again.
I believe Keith is right (as he so often is) in suggesting that a more fitting term might be "obsession". Let's look at the book definitions:

Addiction: the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Obsession: the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

Speaking only for myself, my obsession has run from mild to serious during my 58+ years of fishing. It has always been something that I enjoy, but it has never been the all-consuming influence on my life that some of you have described. I guess there's just too many other things out there that I find interesting - things that take up time and divert my attention away from fishing, temporarily. But I always come back to fishing, and even though this year has largely been a bust (too damn hot), I have not and never will decide to give up fishing entirely. It will always be one of the many things I like to do.
Old 09-14-11, 07:22 PM   #17
keithdog

Ok, this is obsession, lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CSC_0164.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	7178  
Old 09-14-11, 10:18 PM   #18
nobass

you know you got to look out for snow snakes out there they do not bite they just crawl up your butt and freeze you to death
Old 09-15-11, 01:45 AM   #19
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
Now that would make the bait monkey proud!
Old 09-15-11, 06:06 AM   #20
joedog

Great pic Kieth. May need advice from Pictured angler for my fishing Thurs. morning.....Forecast for Thur, 32-34 degree low!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 09:55 AM   #21
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Come on, my "addiction" only last 7 months at most...than my other addiction takes over...hunting.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 04:00 PM   #22
lilmule

You know ive heard some fellers up north actually cut a hole in the ice an fish thru it,to solve that problem.
I tried it onct 3 days I chopped never did get a hole big nuff to float the boat and gave up.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 09:59 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Let's just say I have more tackle, and have spent more on tackle than any 20 year old should.

I haven't really had the urge to buy tackle in the last couple months, I even went to BPS one day a couple weeks ago and didn't leave with any tackle! Don't know what's wrong with me.

Old 09-15-11, 11:54 PM   #24
Tavery5

This year the monkey has hit me harder than every, bought a new boat, new fish finder, new trolling motor, at least 6 new rod and reel combos, more tackle than I care to talk about and I still surf the web nightly looking for someting new or something I don't have.

I guess you could call that an obsession
Old 09-16-11, 07:35 PM   #25
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Me and the monkey are real close.
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.