Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 03-01-05, 08:39 PM   #1
Greenworm
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Catching is on the upswing and the Marsh

It was 6:00AM dark when I met Brian Graves from Leesburg, Va. for one of his many return trips to the Marsh. Brian likes the area and the Marsh so well that he bought a home in the area so that he can get here more often. It seemed the weatherman was going to be right about the wind as the treetops were swaying in the early morning hours.

Off to Middleton's we went for there was no question that shiners would afford the better opportunity with winds forecasted to be 20 to 25 and gusting out of the west. The stop was brief and it was off to a sunny but windy day looking for our formidable quarry.

Upon arriving at the ramp I noted that the pipes that dump from the Fellsmere Farms irrigation system into the Marsh were flowing and the current was really chugging. We were set to go with the first shiner in the water within 5 minutes of leaving the ramp and we never left the area until quitting time at 3:00PM. Although we were quick and at the ready early on the bass weren't but a bit of patience can be a big winner in this sport and we had the patience to wait out the bass through their period of reluctance.

From first shiner to last time flew and by 11:30 there were no more shiners and the count stood at 45 bass in the boat with the biggest being 5 pounds. Switching from live to artificial we rigged Carolina rigs tipped with Senkos. 17 bass fell for the allure of this Yamamoto bait with strong and positive bites. Around 2:30 we were given another 3 dozen shiners by a fisherman who didn’t use them. We spent the last ½ hour fishing shiners and boated 8 more bass giving us a total of 70 bass for the day. All the bass hit Carolina rigged shiners and Senkos on the edge of the current.

ScottÂ*
Old 03-01-05, 09:30 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Catching is on the upswing and the Marsh

u released the bass right ???
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 09:51 PM   #3
Greenworm

There is no such thing as a kept bass.
Old 03-01-05, 11:54 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

George,

I was wondering how the hurricanes affected the fisheries in your area. It's been a couple of months, just wanted to know if it had much, or any affect?

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:41 AM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I've been wondering the same thing.....
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:54 AM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well then CONGRATS on the day. two seasons ago i duck hunted fellesmere. didnt last season cause the hurricanes screwed all of it up with how they loaded the area with all the storm drainage and what not. killed all of the vegitation. i havnt fished the marsh yet but if it was affected by the hurricanes like every other lake then it was probally over flooded. but by this time it should have gone down a good ways. anyways congrats on the day
Old 03-02-05, 01:45 AM   #7
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

The hurricanes affected the stick marsh pretty severely. There is no grass on the bottom. Bass are finishing up the spawn and finally starting to relate to the wood. With no grass to speak of the bass are all over, if you know where to go (honey holes) you can still catch a lot of fish. Also as George said above- any moving water in the stick marsh is a good bet. Unfortunately I dont know where all the honey holes are. HINT,HINT.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 09:43 AM   #8
Greenworm

Anyone that fishes the Stick Marsh should know that it is a catch and release lake for bass, as is Kenansville also.

The hurricane eliminated the hydrilla for the moment which is making fishing more difficult for those that don't know the lake. However, the fish are right in the same places as it was more the wood than the weed that they were holding to.

The spawn is going into full swing and will continue right through April and the results are going to be good. Hydrilla is starting to grow and probably will be poking its head out by summer. I would imagine that we will have a banner top water season, and look forward to some really big fish again this summer.
Old 03-02-05, 02:35 PM   #9
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

George, I don't know if you would know, but if the hydrilla was eliminated from the Stick Marsh, was it also pretty much eliminated from lake Kissimmee?

zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 07:10 PM   #10
Greenworm

Yes, but even more so by the drawdown.
Old 03-02-05, 07:14 PM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i heard they are going to kill some of the hydrilla in the kissimee chain of lakes. i think they are doin this because of to much hydrilla. this is for the whole chain and i dont think they are going to mess with lake kissimmee because of the loss of so much already
Old 03-02-05, 07:22 PM   #12
Greenworm

Killing hydrilla: there is no way to kill hydrilla. Even with a spray such as award the seeds live, and they do so for at least 7 years dormant. They can knock it down, but it will come back.
Old 03-02-05, 07:31 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i think they are going to takesome of it out. i just heard this on the news a few weeks ago, i didnt get details. just what i heard
Old 03-02-05, 10:59 PM   #14
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Still didnt bite on the HINT,HINT!! Â*You said the spawn should last until April, I haven't been able to get out lately. Another website dedicated to the stick marsh stated the spawn was short and they are moving out of the spawning area and into the wood. Didnt sound right to me, but like I said haven't been there recently.8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.