Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-08-11, 11:27 AM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default May get together event on wheeler/wilson lake, alabama

OK GANG! here we go. now i am gonna say that i am having a hard time getting my boss to let me off for this at the moment. BUT i truly don't see a problem. just gotta set the date really. so here is what i think is the best from what i have seen and heard from most of you who are interested.

3RD weekend in may. WHEELER/WILSON LAKE ON THE TENN RIVER.

let the discussion begin gang. is this a good date for you folks?
what i am goning to try to do now is find either a private owned place like at the kentucky lake event or go for the dorm the state park has. only problem with the state park dorm place is there seems to be no boat facilities for storage. only ones i have seen are at the lodge where the resteraunt and swiming pool is. and we wouldn't have a place to do our fish fry. only at the large dorm could we do that. and if we were to rent that, we would have to load and unload our boats each morning.
so lets talk about what we want to do. i know that most of you are going to fish as much as possible. not a problem, the fish fry is on the last night anyway(saturday night). i say we fend for ourselves thrusday night and friday night. if ya'll want to have a hamburger/hotdog grill out on friday night, cool. that would be easy. just have some chips and drinks to go with it.
ok, so we meet up on wednesday evening, chit-chat, FISH on thursday, sammiches that night. FISH on friday, maybe have hamburgers and hotdogs friday night. FISH on saturday, FISH FRY SATURDAY NIGHT. have breakfast sunday morning and say our so longs till the next one.

SOUND ALRIGHT? START YAPPING GANG!
Old 01-08-11, 12:27 PM   #2
WTL

John, there are cabins operated by the state park on the south side of the lake where the fish fry would best take place. $70 a night. Tons of cabins, all close together, a couple BBQ stands, pits for campfires ect. I always assumed that would be the most logical location.

The problem is there is no real place for docking your boat. The free ramps are right there, and everybody who uses the cabins just launches and takes out that day. I'm fine with that as the ramp into wheeler is small and rarely used except by cabin guests. The wilson ramp is the largest in the area, has 2 or 3 lanes and a huge parking lot. Part of the novelty of this place is being able, the night before, to choose either wilson lake or wheeler lake - there are differences in the two fishing wise cause of the dam.

If someone really wants a slip, they could also contact fishermans resort out of big nance creek, which is about 3 miles or less from the cabins - they might have slips. Fishermans resort is like a trailer community mostly, with a bait shop, they might have places to stay but its a riverrat type place.

Right now we are stuck with 3rd weekend of may or bust, what about the 1st weekend of June as a backup?

I like the lodge, but I don't stay there anymore because the cabins are a bit more laid back and put me closer to the wilson ramp. If you stay at the lodge, you have a 10 mile drive to wilson, whereas if you stay at the cabins, you have perhaps a 1 mile drive. Danielas in the park is a good resturant at the lodge, but if we stay at the cabins you can just drive up there in the boat.

http://www.alapark.com/joewheeler/Cabins/

Thats a link for the cabins that you can look over.

Last edited by WTL; 01-08-11 at 12:41 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:45 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've kept May open and the third week is good for me (June is out for me, two weeks and a 3rd weekend already planned). My preference would be the lodge, if I drive that far then I'm spending the entire week and I would prefer to keep one accomadation for the entire stay - if the lodge has individual rooms or cabins that's what I'd book and be on site with you guys should you choose the "dorm". I prefer not to be changing rooms or locations during this trip - but that's me. I could adjust those accomadations if necessary, but would prefer to keep it simple.

I really don't have issues with launching my boat on a daily basis, I would probably choose different launch sites during the stay anyway. I plan on fishing Wheeler & Wilson and maybe locking through one day to Pickwick. Just need a place to park that has electric available - they do have electricity in Alabama, right?

Depening upon what's finally chosen, I may option to stay the beginning of the week closer to Wilson & Pickwick and move over to Wheeler on Wednesday. I'm flexible and will make a final decision when this is more solid.

If anyone else is planning to stay the entire week due a long drive or other considerations, let me know. Maybe you would like to do something similar and fish Wilson & Pickwick earlier in the week as I'm planning to do. If you want to hook up for a few days, stay in same or nearby digs and fish those other waters, let me know. Unfortunately I can't offer the back deck as I'm bringing a partner.

**Just saw WTL's post - the State Park would be ok with me also. Cabins look good. I imagine they book quickly, so if we can firm the date and the State Park is where we choose to stay, I'd like to get one booked. As I said I'm pretty flexible, let's just make it happen.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-08-11 at 01:21 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 01:07 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Third weekend being the 13-15th (fri-sun), then I'm all for it. At KY Lake, guys got there thursday sometime so friday would be all fishing. I don't think my dad and I could make it earlier than thursday, but I know a couple people were thinking of coming early or fishing other lakes on their way.

I'm excited already!

BB
Old 01-08-11, 01:35 PM   #5
WTL

Hold on, lets stop referring to it as 3rd weekend because you have a weekend the 1st sunday and it might confuse folks.

My exams are May 9-18. I will not attend during exams.

That leaves the 19th-23.

Memorial day is the 30th.

Boogie, I see no reason why we have to stay some at the cabin and some at the lodge (not a dorm, its a nice lodge), I really think it should be the cabins just cause of convenience. I expect to fish wilson a little more from the cabins than wheeler, but thats just me. I would trailer over to pickwick, although you can lock through...pickwick is a 3rd option that is a little more different than wilson - sometimes when the fish arent biting on 1, you can find them on another. The only places I would know to stay around pickwick are hotels/motels though, no real fish camps.

Oh yeah, for clarity the lodge and the cabins are all operated through Joe Wheeler State Park. It is one of the better Alabama state parks, lots of stuff...theres a golf course too.
Old 01-08-11, 01:42 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Boogie, I am definitely planning on fishing more than just the get together. I'm not driving that far just to fish 3 days. I've been wanting to fish Pickwick myself, so you can count on having my boat on your radar and comparing notes if that's cool. Maybe we could hit something else in TN as well on the way, such as Old Hickory or J Percy Priest. Even Cumberland or Dale Hollow would be on your way, and I'd gladly make the excursion. This will probably be an 8 or 9 day odyssey for me (weekend-workweek-weekend).

I talked to my fishing buddy Mark the other night, and it sounded to me like he was just not in financial shape to make the trip (sucks), so I might be having to make other arrangements.
Old 01-08-11, 01:50 PM   #7
WTL

I was gonna hit G'ville, Wheeler, Wilson, Pickwick and Tims Ford that week...like yall I will not drive to my homeland to just fish wheeler and wilson.

Tims Ford is sorta on yalls way too I think. Its a deep, mountain type lake with smallmouth, lmb, big stripe and trout in the tailwater. I will probably focus on the trout.
Old 01-08-11, 02:00 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Tim's Ford....very interesting. I will look into that. I have not caught a trout in about 30 years. That could definitely be fun.
Old 01-08-11, 02:39 PM   #9
bassboogieman

WTL, I'm certainly not advocating the group stay at different locations during the "get-together", that would kinda defeat the purpose of it. I could/would stay somewhere more convienient to the water I would be fishing earlier in the week, that's all, and join the "party on Thursday. If we're voting I say the Wheeler State Park cabins. Good location, rates are VERY reasonalbe, and offer room and some privacy. The "third" (full weekend) or the 19th - 22nd is PERFECT for me, because I won't have to leave home on the 9th - WHICH IS MOTHER'S DAY. The words "sorry mom, I won't be there for dinner", won't have to be spoken.
I'm planning on fishing Wheeler, Wilson & Pickwick. I'll be spending 8 days at G'ville mid-March and if that's as good as I hear it is, I may go there a day or two, also, in May. Depends, as I really want to concentrate on the Wilson/Pickwick smallmouth fishing a good part of this trip. Those that will be in the area the full week, I'd like to get together on the various waters during this stay.
With all due respect to John, who's hosting this gala event, let's get the date and where we're going to stay nailed down. The State Park works very well into my situation and if this is the chosen location, hopefully the cabins will be available. If it's anything like Guntersville State Park, the cabins book up quickly (and these are about $40/day cheaper than G'ville). We made our reservations there before Christmas (for mid-March). As I said, let's get the date set so we can get working on accomadation reservations at whichever venue is chosen. And I thought I was hyped over my trip to Guntersville.....

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-08-11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 03:14 PM   #10
WTL

Damn bassboogieman, you might as well move south...welcome!

I'm real excited as well. We will have to move on the cabins fairly quickly, as they will book up. Luckily they all can host several fishermen, meaning if we have to we can get some of the larger cabins and have 8 guys in one...
Old 01-08-11, 05:16 PM   #11
nobass

count me in it will be my first time for this really looking forward to putong face to names . let me know what is requuired for for me to attend.
Old 01-08-11, 05:21 PM   #12
nobass

i live in clarksville tn no fear and bogie i will take that whole week off old hichory lake barkly and ky lake let me know if you need any info also have preist lake.
Old 01-08-11, 07:37 PM   #13
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I was gonna hit G'ville, Wheeler, Wilson, Pickwick and Tims Ford that week...like yall I will not drive to my homeland to just fish wheeler and wilson.

Tims Ford is sorta on yalls way too I think. Its a deep, mountain type lake with smallmouth, lmb, big stripe and trout in the tailwater. I will probably focus on the trout.
If your after trout your best bet would be to go to normandy lake and fish below the dam which is the head of the duck river. Its closest to the hatcheryu and where most trout in the area is stocked...and it isnt but about 30 minutes from tims ford, But if you want big smallmouth go hit tims ford. I fish there every sunday and although its slow there this time of year it should fire back up come spring time
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 07:41 PM   #14
WTL

I've heard that, never made it quite that far...Tims Ford is closer but i might try normandy. I once fished the duck further on down at the state park near 65, and caught a few spots as I recall. Thanks for the tip.

Does Normandy have Brown trout? I heard they are putting more rainbows than browns below Tims Ford.
Old 01-08-11, 08:37 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
count me in it will be my first time for this really looking forward to putong face to names . let me know what is requuired for for me to attend.
Requirements are simple...show up and enjoy yourself. The organizers might ask different people to bring stuff like paper plates or whatever, but just show up and prepare for a good time...
Old 01-08-11, 09:00 PM   #16
bassboogieman

There will be a list, I assume. I'd like to know, as I mentioned my partner is a custom plastic bait maker and I'm putting together a bunch of chatter(style)baits for gift packs for all participants. Now, what better reason do you have to come - free lures.
Old 01-08-11, 09:06 PM   #17
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
There will be a list, I assume. I'd like to know, as I mentioned my partner is a custom plastic bait maker and I'm putting together a bunch of chatter(style)baits for gift packs for all participants. Now, what better reason do you have to come - free lures.
Free beer?
Old 01-08-11, 11:49 PM   #18
bassboogieman

There's always ONE, in every crowd. LMAO!
Old 01-09-11, 12:26 AM   #19
bamabassman

ALRIGHT!!! LOOKS LIKE OL BILLY IS GONNA BE MY GO-TO MAN ON SLEEPING QUARTERS. yes billy you just got drafted my friend, lol. after all you know more about the lakes and accomadations than i do at this point. wanna host with me and lisa? lol. and i was thinking of the dates of MAY 19TH,20,21. I COUNTED THAT AS THE 3RD WEEKEND, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION FOLKS.cabins, lodge, the big dorm............doesn't matter one bit to me. this is why i made the thread. but i AM LIKING THE CABIN DEAL MYSELF. folks can pitch tents nearby too. at least i hope we can. will have to check that out. make sure it is ok with the park folks.
billy, i hope oyu don't mind really. i need you on this one pal. i ma on the old computer still and have limited internet. this thang is slower than you know what. haha.

so anyway. let's get a head count if we can. so far we have, me and the BOSS,aka; mrs bamabassman, wtl, bigbassin144 and kingfisher, bassboogieman (you going to bring a friend or your wife?), nofearengineer,nobass. im good are oyu planning on attending?
i know keithdog is planning on coming. texted with daniel....and there is a issue with him right now, and i understand daniel.

now i want to make it CLEAR gang.........i want to include everyones better half and their children IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. as i have said from the beginning, i want this to become a FAMILY event. not just a bunch of guys ok? so please ask oyur wives and kids to come along too. NOT A REQUIREMENT, JUST A PLEA OK? we can turn this into a HUGE event gang.who knows, it may become a week long thing over time. at kentucky we had 3 wives attend, lisa LOVED IT. she had some ladies to talk to and had a fantastic time. i think the other wives did too. they have become sisters really. there are other things for the ladies to do besides watch us guys ya know, hahaha.

ok, back on track. lets do some more talking and so forth. do ya'll like what is on the floor as of now?

p.s. took me 30 minutes to get this posted with this old arse computer. so forgive me on being slow ok?
Old 01-09-11, 12:31 AM   #20
WTL

Hey I'll try to help, only I'm fixin to really get drafted by law school. But if we can get a list of people, and some dates, I may be able to do something. I really feel like the cabins are the right place for several reasons.
Old 01-09-11, 12:33 AM   #21
bamabassman

me too billy. i just want to make sure EVERYONE is in agreement on it.

and thanks for ANYTHING you can do to help man.

man.........that posted up quick huh? hahaha.
Old 01-09-11, 01:06 AM   #22
keithdog

So far I'm planning to attend. Not sure exactly if I can attend for the whole event. Thats exactly when things are getting crazy at work. I've talked to the wife and she doubts she can get away from the hospital as weekends are at a premium then with so many people already scheduled for vacation leave. So it'l probably be just me. Have a question. Anyone have an empty seat in their boat I could occupy?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 01:10 AM   #23
bamabassman

keith....do NOT WORRY AOBUT A SEAT, there will be a seat somewhere for you man.
Old 01-09-11, 01:12 PM   #24
bassboogieman

John, you can't please everyone when you're talking numbers, you'll end up pulling every hair out of your head then start searching for other hairy areas to pluck.
The dates you mention look just fine 5/19 - 5/21, firming it up will get everyone thinking about it and adjust their personal schedules accordingly if they are planning on attending. To keep discussing dates only delays the process of scheduling vacation, matchup for travel or sharing lodging, and getting our plans firmed up.
I am bringing a partner, the bait maker Doc Irv, and I am about ready to book a cabin at the State Park for the week. As for my wife, she doesn't have enough vacation to accompany me on my fishing trips, and she prefers to spend her limited vacation in more, shall we say, exotic and exclusive locations. . Not dissing this one as it's PERFECT for me.
As for the cabins - I think everyone planning on attending should book their own ASAP, after of course deciding what they need and who can they share with. I don't know if the State Park would reserve a block of cabins, I would think not as they are probably in high demand. Cabins basically have two bedrooms, but I doubt anyone bringing their wife would be willing to share - the CABIN. But guys could bunk 4 and cots are available to increase occupancy to a maximum of 6 (I think that's a bit crowded) and reducing the per night stay to almost nothing. I have to check the web site but I think the cabins are $60 weeknights and $70 for Fri. or Sat., I wouldn't think of pitchin' a tent at those rates - but if that's a preference I think there may be campsites in the Park.
I'm ready to book a cabin now, just waiting on a commitment as to the date and I'll be there the entire week. I understand everyone isn't in the same boat as I, in having someone committed to sharing the cabin expense. The important thing is getting a few reserved, someone that reserves one can always post here they have one and are looking for a "roomie" or two (or more, if you're of the pack animal type). May make it easier for guys to match up also with the lodging thing. I don't know how fast these may book up, but I would expect pretty quickly, especially in prime season, because they are so reasonably priced.
It's like a wedding (or maybe better, a family reunion), set the date, get the invitations out, the venue booked, and let's get it on.
John, I don't know how much assistance I can be from here in PA, but if you need something that I can help you with, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 01-09-11, 01:22 PM   #25
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
John, you can't please everyone when you're talking numbers, you'll end up pulling every hair out of your head then start searching for other hairy areas to pluck.
The dates you mention look just fine 5/19 - 5/21, firming it up will get everyone thinking about it and adjust their personal schedules accordingly if they are planning on attending. To keep discussing dates only delays the process of scheduling vacation, matchup for travel or sharing lodging, and getting our plans firmed up.
I am bringing a partner, the bait maker Doc Irv, and I am about ready to book a cabin at the State Park for the week. As for my wife, she doesn't have enough vacation to accompany me on my fishing trips, and she prefers to spend her limited vacation in more, shall we say, exotic and exclusive locations. . Not dissing this one as it's PERFECT for me.
As for the cabins - I think everyone planning on attending should book their own ASAP, after of course deciding what they need and who can they share with. I don't know if the State Park would reserve a block of cabins, I would think not as they are probably in high demand. Cabins basically have two bedrooms, but I doubt anyone bringing their wife would be willing to share - the CABIN. But guys could bunk 4 and cots are available to increase occupancy to a maximum of 6 (I think that's a bit crowded) and reducing the per night stay to almost nothing. I have to check the web site but I think the cabins are $60 weeknights and $70 for Fri. or Sat., I wouldn't think of pitchin' a tent at those rates - but if that's a preference I think there may be campsites in the Park.
I'm ready to book a cabin now, just waiting on a commitment as to the date and I'll be there the entire week. I understand everyone isn't in the same boat as I, in having someone committed to sharing the cabin expense. The important thing is getting a few reserved, someone that reserves one can always post here they have one and are looking for a "roomie" or two (or more, if you're of the pack animal type). May make it easier for guys to match up also with the lodging thing. I don't know how fast these may book up, but I would expect pretty quickly, especially in prime season, because they are so reasonably priced.
It's like a wedding (or maybe better, a family reunion), set the date, get the invitations out, the venue booked, and let's get it on.
John, I don't know how much assistance I can be from here in PA, but if you need something that I can help you with, please do not hesitate to ask.
There is a camp site associated with the state park, but it is on the other side of the river from the cabins along with a small beach, hiking trails, golf course, pro shops, restaurant, tennis courts and various other crap. Last year when i stayed at the cabins, I did notice that someone was camping behind a cabin anyways. There are also enclosed back porches, front porches that you could "camp" in, if you really wanted to. I also seem to remember sleeping once on a large couch in one of the smaller cabins which have a living room with a little tv in the corner. The cabins also have a kitchen, with a range, fridge and limited silverware.

There are two groups of cabins, the smaller ones which are the first you come to and then the road winds about 50 yards past another tennis court/basketball goal and there is a group of larger cabins. The larger ones have a limited overlook of the lake, but there is no access there as it is a sort of bluff...but if you keep on the road 100 more yards the cabin ramp is at the end of the road going into a small slough.

Dogs are allowed in a couple cabins for a $10 fee.

Last edited by WTL; 01-09-11 at 01:37 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.