Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-14-05, 06:53 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Old Dog New Tricks

Finally gonna get with the program and get a handheld GPS. Since my sometimers kicks in more than I care for it to LOL I need to get one to remember some of the hotspots I find. So my question is which handheld unit do ya'll recommend. Now keep in mind that I do want to be able to download to my computer from the unit. I dont need the basemaps of the entire world. LOL. I was looking at the Garmin Legend but dont think it can be hooked up to the puter. I also need the GPS speed reading. So tell me which one I need folks.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 06:26 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have a garmin etrek legend my self. i use the u.s. recreational lakes software with hot spots.. i have the east addition. got it from bps. it does cost $100 but you don't have to unlock the lakes or nothing. plus an added bonus i have it loaded in to the computer. but never need the disk i can save way points, tracks,maps to an disk for review at later times only thing i suguesst you get with the legend is the computer hook up cable. that and some rechargable batties i use duracell 1800mahz.
any more questions let me know..

zooker
Old 12-15-05, 12:54 AM   #3
bassinbob

Zook, I got a question for you. When saving spots how often and how long will they produce? Week after week or year after year. Or is it more for reference to say a old road bed or ledge or such? I guess maybe you could save a lot of good spots on a particular lake so if one fails another might produce. Do the maps show bottom contours? Any other thoughts?

Bob
Old 12-15-05, 06:10 AM   #4
zooker

bob
i only have found about 3 real consitaint spots so far. consistaint as in pull up catch at least one fish every time. i use mine to find rock piles ,big stumps, river channel drops. some of the lakes have a topo map -some not all-the gps also will lie they are good at what they do. but not perfect. if the water level is up or down all the depth contours will be off. also remember the satellites are moving. the gps speed is close but also will lie a bit the compurter program shows track points and speed. i have seen track speeds of 85 & 54 mph from my lil boat that goes no faster than 36mph gps.

even for all its flaws still the best thing to show up in years..

zooker
Old 12-15-05, 06:14 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Zook

So the Etrek Legend does have or is capable of computer interface and does have Gps speed reading capabilities (even though they can be off). This sounds like the unit I am gonna get then. I know I have seen them ...different models from $100 to 3 and 400 dollars but the Legend sounds like it will do what I want and not cost the farm.
Old 12-15-05, 03:51 PM   #6
Christopherkeene9

We will have to second the etrek legend. We use it as our back up and in our bail box so if something conchs out 30 miles offshore we will at least know where we are or how to get back home.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 06:08 PM   #7
zooker

yes laser it does have a comptuer inter face.. it plugs in the back of you computer and hooks in the top of the gps..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 12-15-05 at 06:19 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 08:34 PM   #8
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Laser, I have the Magellan Meridian Platinum and I really like it. The thing that sets this GPS apart from the rest is it has a built in Electrical Compass which will tell you exactly how fast you are going and the direction without even locking in on satelites which can take a while for some units in the boonies of Arkie-in-slaw (as Zooker says). With 2 cds the topo maps and road maps. With road maps you can search any street or put in an address and find any house in the US. With topo maps you can see the names of any lakes even small lakes (down to an acre or so), rivers, streams, names of bends in rivers. It also gives distance traveled which is handy on the river telling the milage from point A to point B accounting for bends (instead of a strait line from point to point). The GPS also is durable, water resistant, and it floats in case you knock it out of the boat. You can store waypoints, trackpoints, and routes. No matter what GPS you get check out www.gpsonsale.com because they have some good deals.
Basspro wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 07:10 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Basspro wannabe. That looks like a very good unit as well. Went to the site that you suggested and they have great prices on the Etrex legend but cant find the price on the magellan. Could you tell me what you paid for yours? I really like the expansion capabilities of the magelan. If it aint outta my price range I might get this one. According to the site the legend doesnt have all the accessories the magellan does so I am down to the price thing. Holler at me as soon as you can please.
Old 12-17-05, 02:08 PM   #10
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Laser think about what you want out of the GPS. If you just want a GPS to mark fishing or hunting hot spots a cheap unit will do the job. But if you want a GPS that would be handy on family trips in showing roads or restraunts. Also if you want a GPS to show topography, elevation, about all(basemaps just show big lakes, big rivers, major interstates) lakes and rivers. You need a GPS that will take a memory card and I don't think the Legend will take a memory card. Laser I checked the site and they were sold out(you might call the store if you want this unit and ask when they will get some in) of the Meridian Platinum and that is why the price wouldn't come up. My GPS was sold as a package with the GPS, 128MB SD memory card, and topography map CD for $339.99 (in stores GPS runs $350 alone) and I got the Direct Route road map CD for $109.99 (in stores $150).
Old 12-18-05, 06:40 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

BassPro Wannabe

Thanks for the info. I couldnt find the price of the magellan on the site you requested thats why I asked you. I really like the added benefits that the Magellan has over the Legend. The barometric pressure and the real time speed are of special interest to me plus the added benefit of the extra memory. I do want it to mark hotspots but also have the topographic elevations that the magellan has. Looks like Im gonna have to call around and see you has this one in stock. Once again thanks for the info.
Old 12-18-05, 01:49 PM   #12
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Laser there are more discount GPS websites out there but this one offered the best deals I found. For more sites go to www.search.com and type in discount GPS or GPS on sale (different phrases will have different websites). Find the best deal and make your purchase. If you get the model I have get back with me because there is a trick to downloading the info from the computer onto the memory card and I will try to help.
Old 12-18-05, 02:52 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Laser, I have a Meridian Gold and have been pretty happy with it. On Zook's suggestion I got a SD card that has all the lakes I fish on it so I have a topo map on the GPS unit which may or may not be something you want. What I use mine most for is, like Zooker, marking features that will hold fish that may not be on the map. If I'm motoring over something I mark it so I can find it later. I downloaded a free program called EasyGPS which allows me to transfer waypoints to and from the GPS to my PC, add waypoints, etc. without all the buzzers and whistles I don't need and which ais not complicated to use.

They also come in real handy finding spots in low visibility like fog and more importantly finding your way back to the ramp when you are on astrange lake or at night/low visibility.
Old 12-19-05, 07:16 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Thanks fellas on the headsup. Gonna go to BPS and actually take a careful look at the units next weekend and make my descion. Aint gonna buy from them cause I am sure I can find better prices elsewhere but you know just take a good look at them. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-21-05, 08:00 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Descisions Descions. Looked at both of them and still cant make up my mind. Got ahold of a buddy of mine who has the legend and gonna try it for real. Now I just gotta get ahold of someone around here with the magellan so I can try it. Basspro Wannabe you say that the Magellan is much closer to being infallable as far as the speed is concerned. This is one feature that I really need to be as accurate as possible.
Old 12-21-05, 10:23 PM   #16
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Come on now laser. No one is that forgetful.; I cant believe you would actually forget where your honey holes are. Besides you have to remembre how to use that uhhhhhhhhhhhh what was it you were shopping for? Fish2win
Old 12-22-05, 05:56 AM   #17
zooker

laser
take my word for it once you mess with a gps unit that you borrowed 2 things happen#1 you aint going to stop playing with and #2 you will buy one as soon as you get enough $$$$.. trust me it happened to me...

zooker
Old 12-22-05, 07:04 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

Fish2Win

LMAO!! That was good. Had me rolling there for a minute then I forgot about what.

ZOOK

I know your right I just got to make up my mind do I want to spend $250 for the magellan or $140 for the legend.
Old 12-22-05, 03:39 PM   #19
bassnman30

I got an Etrex Legend. But the memory is not that good for lakes that aren't on the computor chip.Granted,the maps on the chip will stay. On the maps that aren't on the computor chip, I go to the menue and see if the maps are still there. (they only last a coupe days). In the event that they are not then I put the items back on, this is usually derectly before I go.
Old 12-22-05, 10:43 PM   #20
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Descisions Descions. Looked at both of them and still cant make up my mind. Got ahold of a buddy of mine who has the legend and gonna try it for real. Now I just gotta get ahold of someone around here with the magellan so I can try it. Basspro Wannabe you say that the Magellan is much closer to being infallable as far as the speed is concerned. This is one feature that I really need to be as accurate as possible.
I can guarantee the speed is a very accurate reading. Laser if you don't need the GPS for anything other than marking points then get the Legend. But if you need more out of a GPS than marking points the Meridian Platinum would be a good choice. Laser if you know your going to be in Northeast Ar. let me know and you can stop by and play with a magellan. You may want to wait until after the holidays to buy a GPS because lots of stores have big sales after the holidays.
Old 12-25-05, 05:11 PM   #21
1FASTLASER

Well my mind was made for me. The wife had the Legend under the tree for me. LOL Hope she doesnt know I am still thinking bout getting the Magellan. HAve to find a good spot to hide this one.
Old 12-25-05, 05:30 PM   #22
zooker

hey laser remember they work a whole lot better OUTSIDE...

zooker
Old 12-27-05, 07:05 AM   #23
1FASTLASER

LMAO!! Figured that out after 30mins of waiting on the da@@ thing to acclimate itself to the satellites. Then I went outside and got lost in my backyard.
Old 12-27-05, 05:42 PM   #24
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds like your wife must have seen the cost of the magellan and made up her mind which one you were getting
Old 12-27-05, 06:11 PM   #25
zooker

getting lost in the back can be a great thing.. just as long as your hiding from the honey do list....

did you get your wife a cowboy hat for chirstmas???

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.