Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-12-14, 03:37 PM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Should statewide limits be put on pan fish?

In NYS, the DEC imposed different limits on different pan fish species about 10 years ago.
25 crappie. 9" minimum
50 sunfish
50 yellow perch
no limit on white perch
The reason for the regulation regarding limits supposedly is because in certain areas of the state there are shoreline anglers (immigrants) that keep everything they catch regardless of size. The waters a fish (at least fifteen in rotation) never have anglers that fish regularly on those waters or that even keep what they catch. The pan fish populations are extensive and no DEC surveys have been done, due to lack of funding, to tailor limits. The DEC refuses to even consider taking the word of those that keep logs how large or how many fish are caught and have responded that the law is the law and will not be changed any time soon.

Biologically speaking, sunfish and crappie are prolific breeders and unless there is fishing pressure to cull the population, competition with other species from predation of minnows and fingerlings of all species can be detrimental over the long run, especially bass.

1.What is your opinion of general regulations that may harm a fishery?
2.Should lead sinkers be banned?
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 06:34 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Probably not worth the effort to enact limits on "pan fish". I don't know about NY but here in PA the issue you mention with those "shore line anglers" - we have a lot of them here that do exactly as you say, they keep EVERYTHING regardless of size, regardless of numbers, few display a fishing license (required in PA) and the Wildlife Officers rarely bother with them. No one seem to care about "them", but us guys in a bass boat - they want to check our live well and make sure we have all our safety equipment on board, not that I really resent that as it's their job, but it seems like they are afraid to approach those poor beggars on the bank, most likely because the WLO would have to call for a translator as they never admit to understanding English.

As to lead sinkers - other materials are available, while not as cheap and most not being as heavy to comparable lead in size, I believe it's a hazard to water fowl. I could care less about those darn cormorants but ducks, geese and other water fowl are victims also. As to lead headed jigs - I'm not so sure, as the hook does as much damage as the weight attached to it if ingested or snagged in a wing, leg, gut etc. I think the hook is more dangerous, so no to banning lead head jigs.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-12-14 at 06:40 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 09:04 AM   #3
senkosam

Thanks for the response. Surprised that the DEC doesn't bust the anglers on shore in PA and I know from personal experience about them always checking boater-anglers -frequently! I think I've seen a NYS DEC officer only six times in 30 plus years.

Hearsay is that Russian immigrants upstate keep all fish no matter what size or species for commercial purposes. The only shoreline anglers in southern NY I've seen that have six rods out per angler (only two by law are allowed) are Hasidics that fish for carp just before their holiday in spring.

At least my club could hold white perch tournaments and easily bring in 30-50lbs per boat like I did ten years ago (my total weight of wp was 52lbs.) They are not protected nor have limits and are a threat to the bass population in my local private lake.
Old 01-13-14, 10:48 AM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Does it surprise anyone that they only enforce the law on those who are willing/able to pay the fines?

DNR license fees and fines are simply another wealth tax. Especially here in Indiana.
Old 01-13-14, 11:11 AM   #5
senkosam

Quote:
DNR license fees and fines are simply another wealth tax.
Too bad the emphasis is on the bigger fines that can be had from larger sources such as construction companies and polluters, truckers, etc. and less on hunters and fishermen which equates into more violations.

Even the law about having to wear a life vest from Nov. to May 1st doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense in that the 60 degree water temp in mid May is still cold enough to die from hypothermia if one goes overboard, apart from the fact that the law won't be enforced because the DEC only goes to the most used waters (Hudson River, finger lakes and great lakes). A questionnaire that asks sportsmen and boater opinions would go along way towards tailor making rules that would be of benefit.
Old 01-13-14, 10:25 PM   #6
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sam here's a couple of good threads from the not too distant past that discuss your questions.
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...light=lead+ban

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...=remove+remain
Old 01-23-14, 12:08 AM   #7
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I believe we do have a size limit on pan fish.
I do know we can only keep 25
Old 01-23-14, 08:42 AM   #8
senkosam

Quote:
Some lakes will still benefit from 100% catch and release while others would see huge improvements if every fish caught(or a slot) was removed for a while.
Exactly.

The problem is the closed minded bureaucrats in our state capital that are prone to mix politics with conservation, lobbying with field work and top down management that ignores those that see trends in their own back yards. The county-by-county special regulations in New York haven't been reviewed or changed for years and a tune up is long overdo.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.