Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-21-10, 10:27 PM   #1
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Homemade Fluid Bed Help

Hello,
I am having a fluid bed problem...and am hoping someone on here has a homemade fluid bed and maybe can help.
Yesterday I bought an Elite 802 air pump, 8 ft of aquarium tubing, a 2 inch pvc coupler and a couple 2.75 inch pvc tubes. the air pump is a double outlet so I also bought a "T" fitting to take it down to one line,and a twist type air flow adjuster.
I epoxied the coupler to an aluminum plate, drilled a 1/4 hole in the bottom half of the coupler, epoxied the air line in the hole. I have tried using a coffee filter and a brown paper lunch sack as a filter.
My problem is I cannot get the air flow adjusted to where the paint "boils". I am either getting little volcanos or the paint literally clouds up out of the cup in a fine mist. If I turn it down to where I am getting no volcanos, the paint doesn't appear to do anything but feels fluffy when I tried stirring it.
I don't think the paint is fluffy enough because I still am clogging the jig eyes with paint.

Can anyone with a fluid bed offer any advise as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ron
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 11:17 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ron, it definitely can be tricky.

One thing I've found is some paints "boil" better than others. Some are just a pain. Mine is semi-homemade. I fitted PVC and stuff, and I'm using the pre-made cups with the filter in the bottom.

BB
Old 08-22-10, 12:51 AM   #3
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

That was going to be my best question...what kind of paint?
Although I have several jars of Pro Tec, I recently bought a former jig maker out and bought 3 molds, several hundred skirts,hooks, fiber quards,a production pot, seveal thousand packaging bags, ..I also bought about 8 jars of Jannsnetcraft paint. By far janns netcraft's green pumpkin is my favorite.
I have not tried Pro tec in the fluid bed yet. Have you tried Janns paint?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-22-10, 10:39 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As far as I know, it's the same paint.

The GP, and the white seem to be the easiest for me to get to "boil." watermelon, or dark melon or something like that has been the toughest for me, and I've had to take a jar back.

BB
Old 08-22-10, 01:32 PM   #5
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Maybe it's the pump? A guy on a local forum uses a pump for a 60 gal. tank with two inputs and I don't think he has that issue.

Anyway, here is a link to his post. Perhaps you can ask him there too.

http://www.wafish.com/profiles/blogs...bed-for-powder
Old 08-22-10, 07:27 PM   #6
nofearengineer

WTH are you guys talking about?
Old 08-22-10, 08:41 PM   #7
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
They are talkin about DIY powder coating jigheads.....alot of guys use DIY fluid beds to "fluff" the powdered paint with air to allow better coverage when they stick a hot jighead in it....I think I said that right...lol
Old 08-22-10, 08:44 PM   #8
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Bryce I would tell ya, but I don't know either.
Old 08-22-10, 08:46 PM   #9
bcklash

YEA!!!! What 66 said!!!!
Old 08-22-10, 10:18 PM   #10
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm not sure of the output psi on my pump(if they are even rated)??.. it is a dual output I bought from jack's Aquarium stores for $19.99. I have about $26.00 bucks in the whole setup. I know its powerfull enough that if I turn the air up too high...that 5 dollar jar of paint just billows right out the top in a cloud.

I'm beginning to think I just should have ignored the "I can make that" thought and just bought one from TJ's for $47.99 and been done with it.
Old 08-23-10, 04:33 AM   #11
islandbass

Are you using the brown paper sack as the guy in the link I posted does? This is probably the piece of the puzzle that helps to make the fluff. Sorry I can't be of more help on this yet. I am just getting the piece together to make this over the winter.
Old 08-23-10, 07:59 AM   #12
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As to the eyes clogging up.....when dipping directly into the jar as I do, I put the eye in between the jaws of a hemostat, the medical pliar type tool. It covers the eye and prevents powder from hitting the eye itself. It does allow powder to hit the outside edge of the eye but covers the sides and the eye itself. I used to use the ends of the jaws but now place the eyes in the curve of the jaws......the hot eyes were heating the tips and the tips had to be occasionally burned off. Now is working much better and much longer between burnoffs. Am sure this would help your eye problem effectively. If you have the straight hemostat, just put the eye further into the jaws.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 09:25 AM   #13
Bender

One question I have is what valve are you using? Is it able to be controlled very fine? I have one from TJ's and the valve setting is VERY touchy.

As far as the eyes closing up I had that problem for quite a while too. I still get it every once in a while on shaky heads but not very often. What I found to make the biggest difference is the combination of how long the jig is in the paint compared to how hot it is. For high volume I heat with a toaster oven to control the heat better. Multi-colors I heat with a heat gun but it is tricky to get the right temp.

If the jig is too hot it melts too much paint and will fill the hole. The biggest factor is how long you have it in the paint though. I found that a straight dip and then one quick swish (about 1 second total) works best. I was actually surprised about how little time it takes to cover the head.

If the heads are not hot enough you will see the paint stay kind of dull and not glaze over after a couple seconds when you take it out. If that is the case you can hit it with a heat gun to get the paint to glaze over and get a little more heat into the next head before you paint it.

Sometimes the eyes will be fine after painting but close up during curing, or if they are hanging you will get a hump on the bottom. This is also caused by too much paint on the head. Good luck and keep working on it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 09:41 PM   #14
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

The valve is just one of the little plasic blue ones with a turn screw..I bought a pack of them along with "t's" at the pet shop. I have tried lunch sacks and coffee filter as well.
I took the pump back today as it was only rated for a 20 gal tank. I bought one from Walmart rated for a 60 gal (biggest one they had) tonight. I will try it this weekend (if I can that is...got my boat back from the shop yesterday and my new St. Croix LegendXtreme rod came in tonight. I plan on spending a majority of the weekend on water.)
Thanks everyone,
Ron

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.