Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-31-11, 11:16 PM   #1
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question transducer mounting

Hi folks, I am looking for some help from someone who might know the best way and best epoxy to use to install a transducer to the inner hull of a fiberglass boat. I am replacing an old flasher type with a new digital one. I plan on taking the old transducer out so I think that would be a good spot for the new one, I'm just not real sure about the epoxy. I want to get this right the first time if you know what I mean.

P.S. Will one of you southern boy drop a line in the water for me, I've been frozen in for months here in o'l St. Louis. Thanks
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 09:11 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you're going to put the new tranducer in the same location, be sure to remove all the old epoxy and get down to the glass, then clean it with some alcohol or lighter fluid to ensure a good bond. Make a dam around your mounting location using plumber's putty.
You can use any hard setting epoxy, be sure to mix it slowly and carefully - you do not want bubbles in your epoxy. Pour epoxy in the dam about 1/4" deep and press transducer firmly in the mix. Place a weight on the transducer (a brick or sandbag) and let it set a couple days for the epoxy to totally cure.

A transducer designed to shoot through hull, may perform better than a skimmer transducer, but I've seen both mounted in the hull and work.

Removing the old transducer is pretty easy - a tap with a hammer usually pops it loose.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 01:53 PM   #3
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
If you're going to put the new tranducer in the same location, be sure to remove all the old epoxy and get down to the glass, then clean it with some alcohol or lighter fluid to ensure a good bond. Make a dam around your mounting location using plumber's putty.
You can use any hard setting epoxy, be sure to mix it slowly and carefully - you do not want bubbles in your epoxy. Pour epoxy in the dam about 1/4" deep and press transducer firmly in the mix. Place a weight on the transducer (a brick or sandbag) and let it set a couple days for the epoxy to totally cure.

A transducer designed to shoot through hull, may perform better than a skimmer transducer, but I've seen both mounted in the hull and work.

Removing the old transducer is pretty easy - a tap with a hammer usually pops it loose.
Totally agree. I would also say that I have had equal success with either a puck or a skimmer ducer mounted as shoot-thru.
Old 02-01-11, 05:23 PM   #4
flfireman

Which day would you like for the line to be dropped? Im heading out Thurs and Fri, have a tourney on the 8th and another the following week. Will even catch a fish for you.
Old 02-01-11, 06:48 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

NOT COOL HOSEHOLDER,HAHAHAHAHA!! champ..SOME of us southern folk are dealing with cold weather and rain. but as soon as i can i will make a cast and shout your name.
Old 02-01-11, 07:39 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Ya John, just remember his naime isn't Holycrap Backlashedagian.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 11:11 PM   #7
champman

Default transducer mount

Thanks for the help fellas. I'll give a shout out after the install.
Old 02-05-11, 11:50 PM   #8
flfireman

Caught about 40 bass between 1/2# to 9#. Most were the 1/2-1#, 2 sweet ladies did give it up for a 8" lizard, one was 9# and the other 6.8#, couple 2-3's. So take your pic, you can claim one for yourself. Hope the transducer works, mine are all mounted outside the boat.
Old 02-08-11, 09:48 AM   #9
champman

Smile

THAT'S A GREAT DAY ON THE WATER. I GUESS I'LL CLAM THE 3#ers.MAN WHAT I WOULDN'T GIVE TO CAST A LINE ABOUT NOW.LOOKING OUT OF THE WINDOW AT 7in. OF SNOW ON THE GROUND AND 18* TEMP AS I TYPE THIS. MIGHT HAVE TO PACK UP THE WIFE AND THE BOAT AND MOVE TO FLORIDA. WE HAVE ALWAYS TAKED ABOUT IT , THIS WINTER MAY JUST DO THE TRICK. ALL KIDDING ASIDE, YOU BE CAREFULL AT THOSE FIRES. WE ALL APPRECIATE WHAT YOU DO FOR US.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.