Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-29-11, 12:54 PM   #1
84LaserBassBoat
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 84 Laser Bass Boat

I just bought my first boat. It is a 84 laser bass boat with a 85 175 merc black Max! I just wondering if anyone know much about laser boats. I will get the number off the Hull and post soon. I got a few i will upload later. I haven't taken it out yet but plan on taking to the lake tomorrow! Hope it floats!
84LaserBassBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 06:00 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Other than being defunct,was a light fast boat,built tad light as well so not that many around fom back in 85 compared to say rangers.Front end is easy to bring up,some even hard to trim down depending upon what size boat it is,and what size of engine or weight I might say.Back then many were tricked out running more hp than should have.
Other than its a bass boat have fun.Ps take it shallow at first lol.
Joking a bit but play it safe im running a 1990 allison,1977 140 xflow.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 12:00 AM   #3
84LaserBassBoat
BassFishin.Com Member

I took the boa out today for the first time! It was my first time drive a bass boat, not sure about how to trim the moter, i never could get it to plane or whateer that is called. but i my girlfriend would let me go to fast. i barely got into the throttle and she got scared. the speedometer didnt work so dont know how fast i was goin the temp gauge got all the way up to hot not sure it is right or not tho. It is a 84 laser with a 175 black max oil injected merc with the oil injection system taken off, it is a hair shy of 18ft, the bottom of the boat is like a W. I cant find much on these boat on the internet, just wondering what model it could be? I got some pics just cant get em to upload on my computer! will post when i can! Oh ya the engine died when i slowed down to idle pulling in to the dock and the would start back up for a while, i think i might of flooded it trying to start it, but not sure why it died, the temp guage was on hot but the gauge is always on half even when i first start it? any help would be great, i new to boats!

Thanks Josh
Old 07-31-11, 10:16 AM   #4
84LaserBassBoat
BassFishin.Com Member

some pics of my first boat!
Attached Images

Old 07-31-11, 11:39 AM   #5
Tavery5

Did you mix the fuel yourself or did it already have fuel in it.
Old 07-31-11, 11:59 AM   #6
84LaserBassBoat
BassFishin.Com Member

It had a half a tank when I got it and he pre mixed it 50:1. I burn most of that out yesterday and I got some quicksilver to mix when fill it up next time.
Old 07-31-11, 12:50 PM   #7
84LaserBassBoat
BassFishin.Com Member

I would like to cut that fiberglass out in front of the console and put some more storage there, does anyone have any ideas for that? I was wasn't sure if that would effect the strenght of boat or not. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys
Old 07-31-11, 01:24 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i owuldn't go cutting ANYTHING on that rig. it looks awesum original man. and besides that. i don't know.....but it MIGHT weaken the hull. these boats were built LIGHT and made to go FAST form the factory. so taking a sawsall to it ain't exactly a good idea in my opion. there is a LOT of thought going in to making more storage on a rig. if you are dead set on it, you would be better off letting a professional do it for you.
Old 07-31-11, 01:35 PM   #9
84LaserBassBoat
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks bama. Ya it probably not a good idea, Just thought I would ask on here and see what people would suggest. Any ideas on what to check on the temp gauge to see if it is working properly? And what to check on speedometer since it ain't working? I new to boats and don't know much about em!
Old 07-31-11, 01:56 PM   #10
66KingFisher

Sounds like the first thing it might need is a new temp guage and/or sending unit....you said the guage read half way to hot when you first start the motor....that makes me think you might have a bad guage or sending unit....You don't wanna roast your motor should the water pump stop working so an accurate temp reading might be a good idea.

PS....Congrats on your first bassboat....I hear those Lazers are fast.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.