Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-10-11, 11:14 PM   #1
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Boats for fishing on big rivers

I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on useing a mod v boat like the Tracker Pro Team 175tf on a big river like the Ohio river. Or any Mod v hull fishing boat that is around 17'.
Fraze5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:19 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The ohio river isnt that bad,takes a fifteen mph wind to create a whitecap.
Ive run 10 ft john boats ,6 hp nearby,out on it,fair amount of barge traffic,but just about any boat will do.
Also ran from 15 ft skeeter to 19 1/2 ft ranger with from 90 hp to 150 hp,in order to run anywhere.
Be advised some of the best fishing is below dams,and before trying to lock thru yourself go with someone else first.Its important to know where one ties the rope,must be the movable part.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:47 PM   #3
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the information I was wondering about the current and how rough it would get out there.
Fraze5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 08:13 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The ohio river gets rougher near dams I assume all the rest do as well,current norm is about 1 mph to 3.The lower number summer the higher spring,those are norms not flood stage.It can take out whole trees and smash them against barges in flood stage-10mph or more.
They do tend to have their own sets of rules regarding actual flow,wing dams,coffin dams,mooring cells,partial sumberged old dams (old 27 proctorville ohio)not totally removed create small whirlpools and or eddies.
So have their own unique hazards,but with caution and common sence can be navigated by the smallest of vessels. Your 17 fter will do ok.
The roughest day I ever had out on it was with 45 mph winds in a 15 ft skeeter the worst overall was fishing a T with my wife for Muscular dys during a flood,looking back wasnt a bright idea even if for a charity,I fish behind barges or did( I moved west),darn near got sucked in.
Ps I won 879 dollars for a 4 lb 8 oz smallie in a md T at huntington w.va,big fish and fouth place,out of a boat no larger than yours,and did it prior in one smaller,a 14 ft thundercraft made in Pikeville,Ky,then a 15 ft skeeter.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-11-11 at 08:26 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.