Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-09, 02:26 AM   #1
Bmetcalf81
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Dull and faded paint!

Is it possible to restore the luster to my old bass boat? It's thirty years old and still kicking strong but the paint shows it's age. How can I restore the the color? It's got a red metal flake paint job but I'm not sure what kind of paint job it is.
Bmetcalf81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 05:26 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the luster comes from the gel coat..the gel gets cloudy from sun pounding on it..gel is like clear coat on a car..i would try wet sandin with 1500 grit in a un-noticeable spot. see how it come out..if it clears up wet sand the entire boat. and put on a good carnuba wax. -use a power buffer- you may want to wax in regularly. i do mine every 4 months...

zooker
Old 06-06-09, 07:03 AM   #3
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

You could also try a rubbing compound. 3M makes one that I used on a 1974 Ranger and it made that thing shine. I think its called Heavy Duty Restorer. I was impressed.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 05:36 PM   #4
Bmetcalf81
BassFishin.Com Member

yea my dad suggested the 1500 grit sand paper but he wasn't sure since it was an older boat. Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can't get her shining.
Bmetcalf81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 08:34 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Take some before and after pics. We love to see older boats brought back to life around here.
Old 06-08-09, 01:28 PM   #6
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The long version!!!

Most boats can be brought back to look new by doing the wetsanding/compounding/glazing/waxing at home for the costs of the products and a high speed sander/buffer if you do not own one...a lot of labor involved, but can save you big $$$$ over a re-clearcoat.

All the peripheral hardware should be removed from the boat, cleats, handrails, lights, windshields, decals, anything that can be unbolted from the top cap and consoles, etc will make the job easier....less obstructions when using the buffer.
You will need a high speed buffer, not an orbital buffer, the high speed produces the heat that makes the compound cut thru the faded clearcoat, you can use a cheap buffer, no need for an expensive model.

3M waffle polishing pads.....the white one for compounding/cutting and the black pad for glazing/polishing.

Wet Sandpaper in 1000/1200/1500/ grit.
You can adjust the grit # lower if the fading is real bad.

3M Perfect It Rubbing Compound # 05973
3M Final Glaze # 06066

Any hard Carnuba Marine Wax

1st step is to remove all the hardware you can.

Wash the boat, remove any tar, bugs , etc stuck on the glass.

2nd step is to wet sand with plenty of water, put a few drops of dishwashing liquid in the sanding water to make the paper slide easier, dunk the paper often to clean the sanded material off the paper.
Sand in a back and forth motion, not in circles.

Start with the 1000 grit, sand the whole area to be redone, rinse off with the hose, repeat with the 1200 grit, and rinse, then again with the 1500 grit....this is very labor intensive , may take you a few days to get thru LOL..., don't sand too hard in one spot, keep feeling the sanded area, if you feel any of the metalflake ( rough , grainy ) stop sanding on that area or you will sand too deep and expose the flakes.

When the sanding is done , wash the boat again to get the glass clean of particles, it will look dull but not faded.

3rd step is using the high speed buffer with the white 3M pad and the rubbing compound, do small areas and move the buffer slowly, not keeping it in one spot or it might burn the gel.
When done compounding wash off the compound and dry the boat.

4th step is using the black 3M pad on the high speed buffer and the 3M final glaze to put on a high gloss glaze coat.

By this time if their was not any actual gelcoat damage the clearcoat should look almost new again.
The final step is putting on a good coat of high carnuba paste wax....then keep the boat clean by wiping it down as soon as ti comes out of the water with one of the spray wipes like Bass Boat Saver..

Old 06-08-09, 07:49 PM   #7
bamabassman

ok what aobut if uyour boat got rubbed real bad. all the way to the paint in one spot? how can you repair it?
Old 06-12-09, 07:19 PM   #8
bassackwards

on average about how much would it cost to get new gel cote
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 08:58 AM   #9
champman

i had the same problem with my red bass boat. the sun had faded part of the side and back. i bought NEW GLASS 2 ( new glass 2.com) followed the instructions and it worked. my son used it on his ski boat and also had good results.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 09:01 AM   #10
bassackwards

the prob i got is the gel is comeing off don't think any thing will fix it
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.