Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-11, 10:59 AM   #1
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling Motor Problems

Hi all. I have a foot controlled trolling motor that is giving me some issues. While in use sometimes it will stop working and when I press the button to make it go or put it in continuous mode there is a crackling noise coming from the foot pedal. When this happens I try and make it work again by changing the speed, lifting the unit out of the bracket and then dropping it back in,turning it on and off, and jiggling/moving the foot pedal/cable around. So far every time it has started working again properly after doing some combination of these things. There are two things I can think of that may or may not be causing the issue one is that the motor does not completely lock into the mounting bracket when in the deployed mode but does come very close, the other is that I didn't use any kind of nut/wingnut to attach the battery cables to the battery terminal. Thanks for any advice/info.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 03:52 PM   #2
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Check to see if there is some water build up in the pedal causing a short, or possibly a loose wire. It may be the actuator that determines how much power to send to the motor that may also be going bad.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 09:48 PM   #3
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like a loose connection or possibly some corrosion in the foot pedal. That's where I would start looking.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 08:54 PM   #4
Dogmatic

Can I hijack this thread yet? 'cause I too, have a trolling motor problem...One of my motorguides, an older tracker, foot controlled, only works when turned, or turning to the left, as soon as it goes past mid point, it ceases to run, it still turns right, but the motor wont run, once it turns back to the left it turns back on...Now I figured it's a connection, but where, in the pedal, the head, or motor? What should I be looking for?(I am not a mechanical wizard in any way, but think I can figure it out with a little help.). Thanks ahead of time, and sorry S&B.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 10:07 PM   #5
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dogmatic I would be looking for corrosion or a loose connection in the foot pedal as well. Since it works in certain positions that is where I would start. If I can help you in any way my e-mail is bassn73@yahoo.com
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 08:02 PM   #6
Dogmatic

Thanks, skeeter. I took the head cover off today just to take a look and found a loose wire, actually pulled out when I touched it, fixed it, but haven't had a chance to test it. I thought I would attack the head unit first, because of the easier access than the foot pedal. We'll see...otherwise I will be contacting you.
Old 09-24-11, 02:45 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Shake how do you connect the battery cable?
Is this a motorguide?

Capt Mike
Old 09-25-11, 08:09 PM   #8
Dogmatic

Fixed! Thanks all.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.